Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Having just bought a used Mutec 3+ USB off eBay I thought there might be a thread for this company but it does not seem so . So thought I would start one as I know there a number on here and also on other forums not to mention glowing reviews about these units and effect they have on the sound of a digital chain . I already have a much more humble unit by Audio GD which i have been using for about a month and I have to say in isolation the uplift in sound quality is very much of the thumbs up variety . I have heard a Mutec in a system at a DAC off by Ian and it was doing a very decent job there .

I had wanted one but at over £1100 new and in most cases £800 + used they were out of my comfort zone fr current spending . I paid quite a but less for the one in it way to me now and provided it is fully working and good condition then I am happy with the price and know for certain that I can move it on for a profit or at the very least the same price.

So will add my thoughts both for a direct comparison with the Audio GD and used in different parts of the digital chain . Any other owners views or advice is always welcome .

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well my memory has not always been poor but it has over recent years become worse and despite my good intentions this has not be followed up .

Firstly and briefly the Mutec 3+ is different to the GD Audio both in what it does and how it does it . Thye are made and aimed at very different sectors the GD is Hi Fi home audio based . The Mutec is aimed at professional studio use . For some reason this means they sound different as well even though both are trying to do the same thing. The GD Audio has a more definite sound in that I think it adds a little bit of euphony to the end result that seems to be an artifact and not in the original . Having said that i love what it does and what it adds and for me at least it stays .

Now the Mutec is quite different it is what many hope all items are transparent to the original not adding anything but I do think it removes things , good things like back ground electrical hash and noise . I think that this may well be dependant on how it is used and the implementation of the equipment it is between . If you use the USB connection then if the source and the DAC have very well engineered USB connection then I think the uplift in using the Mutec will be either minimal or possibly even worse (possibly just by adding another link in the chain) . I only in my limited experience do not like USB as an audio connection in the music chain , I know your going to say it just carrys digital information files not music but the end result using USB that I have has had issues in the final result and everything points to the USB connection .
On the Mutec if you use XLR or BNC as the input then its properties and the musical benefits are pretty easy to hear and identify . If you break the USB connection with a DDC or SPDIF converter then that also shows the benefits but not if connected directly .

So the Mutec will be staying and is now an essential part of my system . However due to prodding by @Lurch mine is being or rather has been altered . I have sent my Mutec to have the factory fitted SMPS power supply removed along with the mains input plug and a 2.5mm plug fitted instead with connection direct to the circuit board . I will then be able to plug in a 5 V LPSU and give the Mutec what i think is the best opportunity to shine . It will be back next week and then the fun begins of listening and seeing what improvements if any this has brought .

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Right just a little up date and few statements that will no doubt irritate some . Firstly I am now fully convinced and sure that if you use the internal SMPS fitted to the Mutec you are missing out on around 60% of its ability to make digital music better and more musical . No I have not got that wrong , either if you can get the SMPS removed and replaced with a decent quality internal LPSU . If that is not something you can get done then like me have the SMPS removed and a 2.5 barrel socket put in . You can then plug in any stand alone 5 v LPSU from a humble one from China to as exotic as you want to go . I have currently got an SBooster on mine and it sounds so good it hurts . Whatever the Mutec does it does well and in my system it makes a very large difference . That difference is then magnified by adding and LPSU .

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Okay I know this is hard to take but there is yet another up date to be made this concerns adding the mk2 booster little box to the connection . Now best practice and wisdom says more connections and breaks is a bad thing . I finish did find that the removal of one unit from my normal chain did have
a beneficial effect on the music .

So this should have been an easy put in play for a bit and then either notice no difference or a drop in quality and make said comment . Well no that is not what happened . Now adding in the Mk2 thingy means you have to increase the voltage output up from 5v to 6v and handily there is a little switch on the side to do this . Played a song in full without then did the switch added in the Mk2 and played the same song again . Was there any difference well yes there was and it was better not worse not easy to describe easily what it adds but I would say relaxation is best I can come up with . Everything seems less hurried an more open sound stage which has gained a bit of extra width and depth as if they is more space around the speakers . I know all of this sounds a bit mad and I could well be getting old and even more senile but it works and sounds great so frankly my dear I could not give a damn (one for the youngsters there ) . Bad news for me as it looks like I am going to have to buy this little doodah as well as the SBooster John will be laughing his head off .... Wonder if I can get a discount , or mates rates ? Nah this is John were talking about .

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well I have owned my Mutec for quite a while and enjoyed very much what it does in its standard form . However this unit opened up a rabbit hole complete with white rabbit . I had to follow it . First thing was the addition of an external word clock , heard a £6000 Denafrips connected in some ones system and was really shocked at the difference in sound quality . But sadly way too expensive for me to consider . Then some advice from Tony at Coherent Systems to take a look at a GPS stand alone clock from Leo Bodnar not as good but around 90% of the sound quality uplift for £170 delivered . No brainer bought set up and a grin a mile wide at the music it lets get out of my system . Tony then showed some screen grabs of measurements of what a Mutec liked like after he had upgraded it internally . First time the measurements made sense and just looked right and better . So dropped my Mutec off to Tony at the Northwest Show and it arrived back today . There is not much to say except wow . Music is just better more realistic , soundstage are wider and deeper and voices sound like the real people they are singing . You hear the added things like reverb and echo but they seem to make sense . Everything feels less rushed which is not something I have ever noticed before but things sort of just occur in a controlled way . I know this is gushing but I just love what I am hearing details , inflections , harmonies ,double tracked voices that I have never noticed before . Very happy with this sound . I will be adding the upgraded Mutec and LB clock to my system at the Wam Show so will be fun seeing what it does to a very different system .

Reactions: ian917

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles