oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
A new streamer, the Cambridge 851n, and some new speaker cable by Klotz, well used actually and a bargain at £30 for 2 x 7m terminated. I haven't really bought much music this year either as the dogs have taken up a lot of my time but I am grateful for their presence in my life and for the music that gives me such joy when I access it. Best wishes to all.

chrisph

Just me
Wammer Plus
Apr 2, 2010
Near Portsmouth
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A fairly quiet start to the year buying music and selling a few duplicate albums.

Then from June onwards my hifi budget was raided for a series of purchases over the last six months:

1. A second XTZ Edge A2-300
  2. Audiophonics MPA-S250NC balanced power amp
  3. Nord preampifier
  4. XTZ Edge A2-400 – a pair bought in their Black Friday sale
  5. XTZ CD100 mk11 from eBay
  6. Posselt Albatross speakers

Currently on loan from @Lurch a pair of Nord monoblocks

So, in the music room I presently have 7 Class D amps, which are being trialed in various configurations!!!

Still trying to work out which ones work best with the Posselt Albatross speakers – they all sound very good and the FR, measured using REW, is very similar for all of the amps.

So, the target for early in the New Year is to decide which amps are to be retained and the others will put up for sale.

Class D amps.jpg

Reactions: Tarzan and TheFlash

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a feeling Lurch has cost people the most in this thread
Yeah I think your probably right, as this year I've sold the following to wammers. 

3x Koetsu Blacks

A new but shagged Urushi Vermillion needing a £500 retip

Transfiguration Axia S 

AT OC9xML 

Hana SL 

Hana ML

Tron Seven Ultimate 

2m pair of TQ Black II 

A pair of dodgy 989s (with full disclosure) 

Pimped Mk1 Jolida Glass fx dac 

3 pairs of Audioplan Musicable ICs

Pair of 845s 

Also let Jules_S have a listen to my Summits which led to a 340 mile round trip to buy a pair. 

Loaned out the Nords for a potential purchase audition. 

dave

incurable tinkerer
Wammer
Mar 24, 2014
cambs
AKA
dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have been getting rid of things, more often than not this year, but I did buy some Sonus Faber Electas. I had lusted after these since the 80s. I also bought another Denon DVD2900, and upgraded my home theater with a Sony DA2400es, which almost does all I wanted, except downsampling 1080p to PAL composite. Nevermind, it is very nice and the surround can now be quite seamless and natural sounding. 

The Electas are more objects d'art, I certainly have better sounding speakers, or maybe I haven't found the right amp yet. was hoping they would get on with my 2A3, but no. 

Oh yes, fitted some new iron to my 2A3 and acquired some duland capacitors which I haven't fitted yet, the amp had a badly implemented loftin white circuit when I got it, I have re worked it with "baby ongaku" circuit and now it is working very nicely and sounds good running my Dovedales. 

Fixed my DCX2496, a few rather horrible solder joints causing nasty noises as it warmed up, now working again.

Reactions: DomT

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I upgraded the whole digital source.

Out:
- old BT router
- Synology NAS
- old MBP processing computer
- Cubox network bridge
- Teac DAC

In:
- wired router
- network switch
- Mac mini processing computer
- microRendu network bridge
- RME DAC

Reactions: Nativebon

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My end game system is still my end game system , No wish , itch or urge to change anything ,

On the other hand I switch components in the mancave just for the fun of it ..

Reactions: TheFlash and DomT

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Makes me cry sometimes seeing how little the wife allows for their blokes passions - here, here's your 2m square cube allocated. Good luck with soundstage
As I’m an acoustic treatment fan I’m surprised at the low percentage of rooms with treatment - maybe 10%. If I was married I would be less bothered about space allocated for the listening room, than I would be about getting some acoustic treatment past a non-HiFi enthusiast partner.

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As I’m an acoustic treatment fan I’m surprised at the low percentage of rooms with treatment - maybe 10%. If I was married I would be less bothered about space allocated for the listening room, than I would be about getting some acoustic treatment past a non-HiFi enthusiast partner.
Yes but a big pair of speakers is a more exciting smuggle

Reactions: Ady and rdale

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It would be interesting to see a next years plans version of this thread (may already exist and I've just not seen it).

Mine will be a quiet hifi year next year and I am pretty happy already with my arrangements of kit.

Next year's plans:

- new speakers stands arrive 05/01.

- I am going to upgrade my disc spinner at some point.

- the major one is I am having the house rewired (along with other major stuff too). Whilst doing this I'll be getting a dedicated mains loop for my hifi kit.

Unfortunately, all the work means we'll temporarily have to move out and crash with friends and spread ourselves around a bit. My life will be in boxes in storage for a while, hence no hifi. I'm sure I will doubly appreciate it once it gets reinstated in my freshly pimped crib.

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not changed much this year, a new cartridge, Ortofon Quintet Black, Khozmo passive pre (one of Jerrys cast offs :)  ) and a Nord easy-stream connect dac es9038 V2. All have been improvements on what they replaced, but the Nord software could definitely be improved upon. I also picked up a Beocreate  board, with some 4" mid/woofers from the spirit of the Wam thread, which I intend to build something with, now I am retired.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm not surprised, I have seen expensive systems in rooms with no treatment and the room sounded awful. 

You have to consider looks, cost, space and if the person owns the property, also if they have a wife/partner. My room is not too bad now and I will be adding some curtains on the side wall and a tapestry on the back wall which should help with HF reflections, bass is not a problem. 

There is also very little coverage about it in the HiFi press.

• Upvote
Reactions: rdale

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You have to consider looks, ... also if they have a wife/partner.
I was sitting on my settee with my gf at the time. On the other side of the room were stacks of speakers, and along one end a shelving rack containing LPs and HiFi. "Of course, when I've moved in", she said, with a contemptuous wave of the hand, "all this will have to go". "With an attitude like that", I said, "you won't be moving in here any time soon." 6 weeks later, she dumped me. I got off lightly.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was sitting on my settee with my gf at the time. On the other side of the room were stacks of speakers, and along one end a shelving rack containing LPs and HiFi. "Of course, when I've moved in", she said, with a contemptuous wave of the hand, "all this will have to go". "With an attitude like that", I said, "you won't be moving in here any time soon." 6 weeks later, she dumped me. I got off lightly.
When me and the Mrs got married, in our mid 20s, she suggested we get an extra £1k on our mortgage for our first house so I could buy the just released Quad 63 stats. 

You've just gotta pick 'em right.  :x

Last edited by a moderator:

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Out