My latest "New" turntable.... Thorens 124

take5

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 17, 2008
lancs
AKA
brian
Well, I have got myself another turntable. It’s a Thorens 124, and Im delighted to have it.

A little background to the reasons behind this purchase.

About 6 months ago, after a bit of a search, I bought a Garrard 401. I then spent a few months getting it up and running, and this finally happened a couple of months ago. Here is a thread I started on that turntable if of interest to anyone.

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?91481-My-quot-new-quot-Garrard-401

I really like my 401. It looks great and sounds great too, and I am really pleased to own such a beautiful thing.

However, I also enjoyed the few months of hussling around, putting the whole thing together, and was sorry when that side of things had finished.

So, I decided to do it again, with another turntable. I liked the idea of bringing an old vintage one back to life, so started to look for a Garrard 301 or a Thorens 124.

So, here I am .

What have I got. Well, its just the basic motor unit. No arm board, arm or plinth.

It looks to be in really great condition and very well cared for. The paintwork is virtually unmarked. All the levers seem to work and “things” seem to move underneath when I move the various levers. With the plinth off, everything looks really clean and tidy. Similarly if I look from underneath.

I havent seen it working yet. The power cable is 2 pronged affair that used to go into an amp. The seller had previously sold those. So, I suppose I took a chance. I bought it based on the “vibe” I got from the seller. It felt right and he didn’t feel like a “blagger”. Time will tell if Ive been conned.

I suppose the worst that could happen is that it is completely shot, but I don’t feel that this will be the case.

Anyway, that is part of the idea. It is a “project “ for me to get it up and running.

I want to do some experimenting with this. Mainly arms and especially plinths.

I suppose the easiest option would be to buy a standard plinth and an arm board and arm. I don’t want to just do that.

I love the compact look of the “normal “ plinth. It is just a little bigger than the motor unit, and looks just “right“. Big Jack has just recently got one of these up and running and has used such a plinth. It looks fantastic.

The problem is that I want to try 12” arms on mine. Now, I see that I can get arm boards to suit these arms, but I would end up with the arm board sticking out the side, like a “Diving Board“ , hovering in mid air, with nothing underneath.

I don’t fancy that look. In addition, all the gubbings of the arm pillar and cable etc would be visible. Not for me, Im afraid.

So, if I need/want an armboard to accommodate a 12” arm, I need a bigger plinth.

Im going to try to make one, or at least have one made. But I want to do it on the cheap, as I want to do some experiments.

Basically, there have been a few threads here recently where the subject of Plinth construction was talked about. Someone talked about using Kingspan (building insulation foam) in a plinth. Someone else talked about sand in the plinth.

Those got my interest. I had already been thinking about using some roof slates that I have. Plaster of paris also interested me. Loads of options.

So, my plan at the moment is to get a top plinth made, probably out of ply, and fit the Thorens into it. Then build a big rectangular box, for this to sit on. Then fill the box with various materials and see what happens. Of course this may not be the best way to go sound wise and I may end up with a conventional plinth. Who knows?

ARMS.

I have an SME 3012 (12”) on the Garrard and it sounds really nice. I also have an Audio Origami 12” PU7, which is waiting to go on the Garrard. (need to measure/cut the arm board)

So, I have a few options

1) leave the 3012 on the 401 and put the PU7 on Thorens

2) put the PU7 on the Garrard and 3012 on the Thorens.

3) Put a 3012 on both turntables. This is my favoured option. It would be great to directly compare the 2 T/T’s

The PU7 can then eventually go on the favourite T/T.

Anyway, for the moment, that’s about it. I have just got it and thought I would scribble down some initial thoughts. Im sure more will emerge.

JonR

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 3, 2005
Herts
AKA
Unknown
Congratulations on your purchase, Take5.

I don't know if you frequent Pink Fish Media at all but the site owner, Tony L, runs a Thorens 124 mkII which he has done some restoration work on himself to get it working and a very nice looking deck it is too. He posts here too occasionally so it might be worth PMing him for some tips and ideas.

Good luck!

S

stereo70

I always wanted one of these, the ones in the SME 2000 plinth look fabulous.

topoxforddoc

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 11, 2009
Cheltenham, , United
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very nice indeed. You'll enjoy it a lot. I had two of these in the past. Only replaced it with my Platine Verdier, which is in a different league.

luckysim0n

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 23, 2013
Liverpool
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Just caught up with your 401 thread looking forward to this now think I need to come round for a listen chocolate croissants isn't it

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Brian, I hate to say don't do it but don't!

The beauty of the 124 IMO is the very compactness that you value, that is compromised by the fitting of a 12" arm. The

most beautiful 124's I have seen have a satin black plinth that is only about an inch wider all around than the motor unit itself. Fit with a 9 incher and keep the look.

take5

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 17, 2008
lancs
AKA
brian
Brian, I hate to say don't do it but don't!The beauty of the 124 IMO is the very compactness that you value, that is compromised by the fitting of a 12" arm. The

most beautiful 124's I have seen have a satin black plinth that is only about an inch wider all around than the motor unit itself. Fit with a 9 incher and keep the look.
Geoff... I know... I know....................... BUT !!!

We can argue about this over a plate of curry next weekend. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Congratulations on your purchase, Take5.I don't know if you frequent Pink Fish Media at all but the site owner, Tony L, runs a Thorens 124 mkII which he has done some restoration work on himself to get it working and a very nice looking deck it is too. He posts here too occasionally so it might be worth PMing him for some tips and ideas.

Good luck!
Jon, yes Ive seen that thread and have had a speed read through it before purchasing this one. I will for certain refer to it on my journey. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Just caught up with your 401 thread looking forward to this now think I need to come round for a listen chocolate croissants isn't it
Simon, you would be very welcome. Choccy croissants have long gone though, Im afraid .

Bread and a glass of water still available though ( I have an expensive hobby to fund ! )

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had a TD124 with a 12" SME arm in a really solid plinth. After I bought it there was a little rumble but a new idler wheel cured that. It looked superb and even though the armboard was triangular, as the plinth was made for the 12" armboard. There are many suppliers of parts so no problems there. If you remove the platter it takes some time to reseat as the bearings are so closely toleranced. Its sound quality was very, very good and I really regret getting an LP12 in its place. My old TD124 was exported over to Japan as it performed well and looked lovely. Go for it and remember the plinth will change it from superb to outstanding.

AGrail

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 15, 2009
Devon
Jims 124 plinths offer a manageable solution for 12" arms. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thorens-TD-124-Oversized-CLD-Baltic-Birch-Plinth-/330892607140?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4d0abc7ea4 124's generate less vibration than Garrards (The E50 motor is much smaller and the chassis more rigid) I have a small collection of 124's and have previously sent them over to Jim who does a nice job of re conditioning the motor, installing his much improved silicone damping motor and chassis mounts as well as sorting out the idler, spindle and motor bushes. Rather like Garrards, or any vintage TT it is sadly unreasonable to hope they will function to the same spec as the day they left the factory, when they comprise of perishable (Rubber, Spark suppressor etc) and 'designed to wear' elements such as sintered bushes not to mention lubrication decomposition and age old detritus. In short I've found the strip down a rebuild process is necessary along with replacement new components (All isolation components along with a new belt and idler wheel) is really the only way to get the unit working to it's full potential.

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Geoff... I know... I know....................... BUT !!!We can argue about this over a plate of curry next weekend. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Jon, yes Ive seen that thread and have had a speed read through it before purchasing this one. I will for certain refer to it on my journey. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Simon, you would be very welcome. Choccy croissants have long gone though, Im afraid .

Bread and a glass of water still available though ( I have an expensive hobby to fund ! )
FWIW I think the 3012 is more of a visual match with the curvaceousness of the 124.

take5

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 17, 2008
lancs
AKA
brian
Matt, thanks for your input and the link re plinths. The size/shape of that is what I was thinking about.

I was thinking about plinths last night and very sadly have been thinking about them this morning ( what a lovely hobby this is :geek: )

I dont want to buy a ready made plinth, as part of this project is about experimenting with what is inside the plinth.

Given that I want to try my existing 12" arms, and dont want a "hovering" armboard, I need a plinth that is bigger than the normal one.

It seems that I have 2 choices

1) Am I going to fit the arm to one of those extended armboards that I can buy. ie like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/armboard-Thorens-124-cut-for-SME-3012-/151087802748?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item232d88e97c#ht_204wt_958

If I do, I would also need to cut a hole in my plinth, to receive the arm pillar and cable etc

2) If I decide to mount the arm directly to the new plinth, I still have the visual problem that the fitment on the side of the motor unit to which the armboard is attached, is still visible.

I can get around this by buying one of those wider armboards, fitting it in place, drilling a hole for the arm to stick through, but not actually fixing the arm to it. In effect it is only there to disguise/hide the armboard frame on the side of the motor unit. ie the frame shown on the right hand side of this one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thorens-TD-124-MkII-Turntable-with-Original-Box-Manual-/251355674669?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables&hash=item3a85f7382d

Right now, Im leaning toward option 1. That may change, though.

AnalogAlba

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2012
Scotland
AKA
Martyn
Looking forward to seeing how things progress and your impression of your 124 once you get it set-up/playing Brian :)

Which 124 is it? (apologies if i missed that piece of info...)

take5

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 17, 2008
lancs
AKA
brian
Looking forward to seeing how things progress and your impression of your 124 once you get it set-up/playing Brian :) Which 124 is it? (apologies if i missed that piece of info...)
Martyn, dont hold your breath re my views on it. This could take a while. :)

It is a series 2. The lighter ( I think ) outer/top platter. The inner platter is heavy, with a yellow ring around it.

I dont think I have ever seen or heard a 124. (possibly at Scalford, but I dont remember ).

So, this is a kind of leap of faith based on the opinions of others, and seeing Jacks recent thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles