Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello everyone

I sold my Auralic Aries Mini recently thinking that I wouldn't have any use for it. But I hadn't anticipated that I would run two different streaming systems in the main lounge: Innuos and Auralic Altair G1 as they sound quite different. I could just buy another Aries Mini especially as I have the SBooster for it but as some may know I have been considering getting an all in one for the studio and I like the idea of trying a (WiFi) streamer from another provider. And so to cut a long story short I am considering the Naim Atom HE. Some may say that I am losing my mind but it has had some great reviews especially the one by Stereophile where it is compared favourably against the reviewer's Bartok. My plan would be to use it with headphones and also with my Quad 909 into Harbeth P3ESRs. I really liked the sound of the Naim ND5XS when I compared it to the Altair.

Any thoughts on the Atom HE greatly appreciated as well as any other ideas. I already have a Benchmark DAC 2 and of course I know that the Bluesound exists but the value of a pimped BlueSound plus Benchmark is the same as a secondhand Atom HE.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Edited the title to get some more ideas about competitors.

I like what I read about the Atom HE. It is very competent with headphones rather than being an afterthought. It has analogue inputs albeit they go through an ADC. It has a small foot print.

There are a lot of DAC preamps and I already have one. But what streamer/DAC/preamp/headphone amps would be also worth considering.

My fallback position is just to buy another Aries Mini.

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
No linger active on this forum
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had an Atom HE on trail to compare against a Lindemann Musicbook Source (which I now own).

The Naim is a neat unit, with a high build quality. Completely outclasses Benchmark, Auralic, etc on that front. Plus it has a screen, which may or may not be of interest to you. I think it works best when used a pre/dac/streamer (i.e. not purely as a streamer/DAC). In that role it is excellent; surprisingly good, in fact. It seems to be more like an N272 replacement, but with a better headphone amp.

The Naim streaming platform is well sorted and works well. the Naim app is also more than OK and is fine for the vast majority of people. It did take a couple of attempts for app to recognise player on a couple of occasions, but this was not common and a quick closing/restarting the app fixed that. It works with Roon as an endpoint.

The analogue in seems to be a transparent ADC process. The pre functionality is also digital. It is also very flexible in terms of set up.

In comparison to the Lindemann, it does fall a bit short. The Lindemann is an all analogue pre (complete with analogue inputs with phono) and it shows, imo. The overall timbre is more refined, as the overall sound sounded more natural to me. The Lindemann app is excellent and completely stable and offers easy changes to device settings, if needed. It can also upsample to DSD (see Lindeman's site for details of this; it is a bit different to other DSD upsampling). This is not mandatory and PCM can be chosen (again via the app). there is definitely a difference between the two; you can try the differences out for yourself. The screen is excellent (it's purely functional, not album covers etc., that's all in the app, as is sample rate, etc) but it is a high contrast soft yellow OLED. The volume setting is large and easy to see across a room. The display be be set to be off when not in use, or dimmed. It's very classy, imo. The Lindemann was clearly 'better' overall, imo. However, that's not to say the Naim is bad. It's not. Comapring pricing; the Lindemann is £3,450 and the Naim is £2,700. There are a few Atom HE Grade A refurbs around 9with 2 year Naim warranty) for £2,200 or so.

As to being on a par with the Bartok? No, it's not. It's not even close. I've had a Bartok here and was very tempted, but just too spendy. Looking at today's new pricing, it is certainly not £11.5k better than the Lindemann and it doesn't have analogue inputs.

Hope that helps a bit?

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: wHIZZY and DomT

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had an Atom HE on trail to compare against a Lindemann Musicbook Source (which I now own).

The Naim is a neat unit, with a high build quality. Completely outclasses Benchmark, Auralic, etc on that front. Plus it has a screen, which may or may not be of interest to you. I think it works best when used a pre/dac/streamer (i.e. not purely as a streamer/DAC). In that role it is excellent; surprisingly good, in fact. It seems to be more like an N272 replacement, but with a better headphone amp.

The Naim streaming platform is well sorted and works well. the Naim app is also more than OK and is fine for the vast majority of people. It did take a couple of attempts for app to recognise player on a couple of occasions, but this was not common and a quick closing/restarting the app fixed that. It works with Roon as an endpoint.

The analogue in seems to be a transparent ADC process. The pre functionality is also digital. It is also very flexible in terms of set up.

In comparison to the Lindemann, it does fall a bit short. The Lindemann is an all analogue pre (complete with analogue inputs with phono) and it shows, imo. The overall timbre is more refined, as the overall sound sounded more natural to me. The Lindemann app is excellent and completely stable and offers easy changes to device settings, if needed. It can also upsample to DSD (see Lindeman's site for details of this; it is a bit different to other DSD upsampling). This is not mandatory and PCM can be chosen (again via the app). there is definitely a difference between the two; you can try the differences out for yourself. The screen is excellent (it's purely functional, not album covers etc., that's all in the app, as is sample rate, etc) but it is a high contrast soft yellow OLED. The volume setting is large and easy to see across a room. The display be be set to be off when not in use, or dimmed. It's very classy, imo. The Lindemann was clearly 'better' overall, imo. However, that's not to say the Naim is bad. It's not. Comapring pricing; the Lindemann is £3,450 and the Naim is £2,700. There are a few Atom HE Grade A refurbs around 9with 2 year Naim warranty) for £2,200 or so.

As to being on a par with the Bartok? No, it's not. It's not even close. I've had a Bartok here and was very tempted, but just too spendy. Looking at today's new pricing, it is certainly not £11.5k better than the Lindemann and it doesn't have analogue inputs.

Hope that helps a bit?
Hi Simon that helps a lot thanks. I wasn’t sure what you ended up with. I will read up on the Lindemann although it’s a bit more than I ideally wanted to spend as it’s for a second system although it will be the ‘first system’ for headphone duties. Many thanks.

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Anyone else got any ideas as an alternative to the Atom?

And there appears to be no Spandau Ballet fans reading this as I was sure that they would have commented on my verbatim use of one of their songs 😂😂

manicatel

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2009
Herts/Essex border
AKA
matt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In isolation, I would say that the Atom is very good indeed. As others have said, reassuringly heavy build quality, very classy visually, with a very good app & great sound.
I’m not sure how much better it is for headphones over & above the standard Atom, I’ve not compared the two side by side.
Competitors I can think of would not be that many, the NAD M10 is similar in form & function but the Atom sounds clearly better to me.
I think the main question is how it would work within the context of your system, your speakers, etc.

Reactions: DomT

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When I think of streamers, I think of Linn
A lot of people seem to like them but when I heard one at a Linn dealer two years ago the music seemed dull and lifeless when directly compared to lower priced Naim components. And the same was true 17 years ago when listening to their CDPs and amps vs Naim. Their LP12 sounds great though.

Last edited:

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm not familiar with the Naim Atom and I don't klnow it's price There's been no mention yet of the NAD M33. If there is a price similarity, so the NAD is within your budget, I suggest you give this all-in-one a serious look. I boight the NAD after home auditioing a dozen amps (only a few were all-in-ones) but it came out top dog on listening tests - and way ahead of most on value for money. Even at just 1/8th the cost of my spealers, I have no desire to upgrade further. Look at its Stereophile review and multiple 2021 awards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.