Naim n-vi all-in-one system

woody

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
North London, , Unit
For those of you who want an AV system that's both compact and sounds great I reckon you could do worse than the Naim n-Vi :

n-vi_pu.jpg

It ain't cheap but I reckon it'll give midrange seperates a run for their money.

Specifications

[align=left]

DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, DVD+/-R, DVD+/-RW, CD Audio, CD-RW and CD-R[/align]

[align=left]

Faroudja ‘Progressive scan’ chip set for a smooth, solid and detailed picture.

DVI Digital video output for direct digital display connection.

BNC hi-definition analogue video output. [/align]

[align=left]

Scaler/video processor upgrade giving ‘pixel for pixel’ compatibility with digital display device. The scaler includes an external video input for up-converting a second video source e.g. digital TV.

Simultaneous progressive scan on the BNC high definition output and interlaced video on Scart video outputs (RGB/YUV, s-video or composite). Ideal for a back room video monitor or display set-up

[/align]

[align=left]

Three external analogue and three external digital audio inputs for playback of external sources (digital TV, iPod, tape etc)

Audio ‘data straightener’ using a ‘voltage control crystal oscillator’ (VCXO) for low jitter audio conversion

High performance Burr Brown 6-channel enhanced multi-level delta-sigma DACs (up to 192kHz/24bit) [/align]

[align=left]

High performance Tripath Class-T® 5-channel amplifier (50W 8 ohms and 90W 4 ohms) [/align]

[align=left]

Naim NA-Bus for bi-directional control and interoperability with other Naim equipment.

RS232 port for connection for custom install ‘intelligent homes’[/align]

[align=left]

100 - 120VAC or 220 - 240VAC 50/60Hz, 50W[/align]

[align=left]

87 x 432 x 314mm[/align]

[align=left]

Black[/align]

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
£2500 I think someone said. Surely it isn't going to sound that good or Naim price many of their own products out of the market?

woody

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
North London, , Unit
The Strat wrote:

£2500 I think someone said. Surely it isn't going to sound that good or Naim price many of their own products out of the market?
Naim have to compete in the AV arena as it's the biggest market nowadays
wub.png

Assuming people want AV (I don't BTW) then I think there a people who want an "all in one" that doesn't sound like a bag of spanners and are willing to pay extra for quality movies and music. I'm confident it's considerably better than similar systems like the Bose "lifestyle" DVD things and they don't come cheap.

So what should it do that it doesn't?

I like thelooks, BTW - how can you not like the look of it it's a simple blackbox with colour LCD screen.Better than some nasty silver bling, surely
tongue.png

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
the cd/dvd drive makes it look tacky - doesn't fit with the Naim style - they have always had nice transports IIRC, plus Naim looks are very much a matter of (lack of) taste
tongue.png

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
woody wrote:

The Strat wrote:
Naim have to compete in the AV arena as it's the biggest market nowadays
wub.png

Assuming people want AV (I don't BTW) then I think there a people who want an "all in one" that doesn't sound like a bag of spanners and are willing to pay extra for quality movies and music. I'm confident it's considerably better than similar systems like the Bose "lifestyle" DVD things and they don't come cheap.

So what should it do that it doesn't?

I like thelooks, BTW - how can you not like the look of it it's a simple blackbox with colour LCD screen.Better than some nasty silver bling, surely
tongue.png
Matter of tasteI know but I could be tempted by this in the CF uses his Classic. I have no problem with the appearance of Naim.

Polarbear

Old bear
Wammer Plus
Jul 24, 2005
AKA
PB
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Strat wrote:

Apparently there is a rumour flying around that the n-vi has been dummed down to avoid competition with Naim's audio products.

Hardly likely as the Naim n-vi is pitched against products like the Linn Classic and Arcam Solo.

The whole point of the n-vi was to produce a better sounding, more convinient and competitively priced product to be at the forefront of the market place.

Regards

PB

Craig

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Copenhagen
AKA
Craig
Crustyloafer wrote:

Doesn't look as sexy as the new Linn Classik Movie though.
On the one hand, it looks lovely, but it seems to have a passing resemblance ot a freeview box :Not Sure:

Johnboi

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2006
Melbourne Australia
AKA
John
I'm not sure it would be 'dummed' down to avoid conflict with Naims audio products, so much that it will sound different to anything else Naim, as all the bits inside are OEM parts bought in I believe.  Witness the proprietary US sourced Tripath digital amplification.  Might have a Naim badge on the front, and a Naim price tag, but that'd be about it I'd think.Still, it's all subjective...J..

gaul

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2005
LONDON, ,
Problem they will face... always the same.. the old Formats war...

For mass market, PC-based components will slowly undertake the current DVD Players/Recorders...

nixon_fiend

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 31, 2005
Leeds UK, ,
Didn't one of the sheep on the one true forum say it sounded shit..? i remeber reading.. and this was a hardcore sheep, he liked the 555 but said the nvi sounded lifeless.. naim's first soiree into digi amplifiction vs 30 years of doing it with transistors.. not surprising

Johnboi

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2006
Melbourne Australia
AKA
John
nixon_fiend said:

naim's first soiree into digi amplifiction vs 30 years of doing it with transistors.. not surprising
Well, I guess with the market for 2 channel only products shrinking all the time, Naim don't seem very well postioned to take advantage of what the market seems to want (i.e something that will do 2 channel, multi-channel/HT etc) apart from the 'add on' AV2, and now the N-Vi.

The difficulty I sense with the N-Vi is that most of it seems to be OEM parts bought in and assembled by Naim, so as to have something to offer the market. A sensible business move.

I've been very impressed indeed with Class D amplification, and would have serious doubts about going back to analgoue SS designs, particularly where performance v's cost is concerned. The latest developments by companies such as Bel-Canto, and NuForce, look to be far ahead of anything that Naim have come up with, which is not to say that they're not capable, but essentially they're still playing around with yesterdays technology IMHO.

The latest Class D designs look to be a quantum leap in amplifier performance, At Sane Pricesi.e one can have battleship build, heavyweight cost no object amplification sound quality, out of a little, relatively inexpensive box. That to me is the future, and Naim need to get with it IMHO.

Just my 2c worth

Best

John..
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

JonR

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 3, 2005
Herts
AKA
Unknown
Quite the contrary to your closing sentence, John, I think Naim most definitely have "got with it" IMHO. Have a look at the (UK) prices for any one of a number of remotelycomparable (in terms of facilities) AV units and you will find that quite a few fall easily into the £1k - £4k bracket.

Set against that the N-Vi, which for £2,995 combines DVD player (with CD and DVD-A capability), AV-processor and 5-channel amp all into one box and I think that for the money Naim have come up with a quite remarkable product, and one that deserves, and I believe will, do very well.

You've got quite a bee in your bonnet about Naim, haven't you -no doubt this has been exacerbated by your forced exit from the Naim forum (or "sheep pen" if you prefer...!
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif
) . Here's a question I've been wanting to put to you for some time, and it crops up for me with every post you submit to both here and PFM regarding some aspect of Naim:- isn't it possible that your view of the brand has been ever so slightly skewed by:-

a) The inflated prices that you will inevitably have to say for British made products (not just Naim) exported all the way to your part of the world (don't forget that by the same token we Brits pay inflated prices for Japanese productstoo), and..

b) The attitude of a few obviously brash and therefore slightly off-hand Aussie dealers who have together projected a rather unfortunate impression of the company to unsuspecting hifi punters over there? Is it not possible you've extrapolated this unfortunate experience to decide that the Naim forum is full of people who cannot and will not accept any criticism of Naim? Because if so thenI think this impression is false (for that sort of attitude look at the Mana forum instead - if you can of course!
tongue.png
).

I'm particularly interested in your views on b)becauseI remember reading some extracts from the old Naimconference a few months ago where even JV himself was moved to comment,after a visit to Australia, on the attitude ofthe odd one or two Naim dealersthere.

None of the above should be taken, by the way,as in any way invalidating yourright to hold the views that you obviously do, nor should it be taken as criticism of Japanese products, or anything else not made by Naim - honest!However I do feel it worth challenging on a couple of levels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opensea0