Linn Owners

NAS on NG KDSM?

Newton John

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My only complaint on a NAS is I can’t get linn to play 5.1 from a network source only via HDMI which is a pain
I would be delighted if Linn could arrrange this. It would be a massive upgrade in surround sound quality with more streamlined control and less clutter from extra kit.

I did ask them through my dealer a couple of years ago. Their response was that I was the only person who ever asked about it. I got the impression that they didn't fully understand the question. More recently, I asked them again though their Helpline Suggestions. They didn't answer so I guess that it's very low in the priorities.

It is strange that a relatively inexpensive Blu-ray player or an Intel NUC with Roon ROCK can do this, but a top of the range Linn streamer can't. Makes no sense to me. Particularly as Linn have been pushing Exakt Surround.

I think Qobuz are missing a trick, too. They can do 5.1 surround, but only have a few titles available.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would be delighted if Linn could arrrange this. It would be a massive upgrade in surround sound quality with more streamlined control and less clutter from extra kit.

I did ask them through my dealer a couple of years ago. Their response was that I was the only person who ever asked about it. I got the impression that they didn't fully understand the question. More recently, I asked them again though their Helpline Suggestions. They didn't answer so I guess that it's very low in the priorities.

It is strange that a relatively inexpensive Blu-ray player or an Intel NUC with Roon ROCK can do this, but a top of the range Linn streamer can't. Makes no sense to me. Particularly as Linn have been pushing Exakt Surround.

I think Qobuz are missing a trick, too. They can do 5.1 surround, but only have a few titles available.
I did look into this a little. My QNAP has an HDMI output. It seems that a bit of software on the QNAP end could emulate a Blu-ray player. The DSM would be none the wiser.

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes

5.1 in all it's guises is not an open source codec. Linn have never wanted to license anything from anyone for their players. Formats come and go, so a Unidisk, with it's licensed codecs, keeps chugging along after twenty years, it can't do Atmos and whatever the latest codecs are. The 5.1 processor board that can be added on to a DSM is actually a stock third party solution so Linn doesn't deal with the licensing, the OEM does.

Here's a history of the subject.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-...ound-sound-guide-different-formats-explained/

Newton John

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
5.1 in all it's guises is not an open source codec. Linn have never wanted to license anything from anyone for their players. Formats come and go, so a Unidisk, with it's licensed codecs, keeps chugging along after twenty years, it can't do Atmos and whatever the latest codecs are. The 5.1 processor board that can be added on to a DSM is actually a stock third party solution so Linn doesn't deal with the licensing, the OEM does.

Here's a history of the subject.

[URL][URL][URL]https://www.digitalt...ound-sound-guide-different-formats-explained/[/URL][/URL][/URL]
I only need the DSM to play Flac 5.1. Don't need Atmos, DTS, DSD and all that other stuff. As I said your average Blu-ray player can do it - why not a DSM.

Last edited:

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I only need the DSM to play Flac 5.1. Don't need Atmos, DTS, DSD and all that other stuff. As I said your average Blu-ray player can do it - why not a DSM.
After reading that linked article, I came away thinking there is no such thing as "flac" 5.1. Am I wrong? That article never mentioned anything like that, and it was quite thorough. Perhaps quadrophonic may have been somewhat open, but everything else was a licensed codec. I have been wrong once or twice before...

• Haha
Reactions: Paulssurround

Newton John

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
After reading that linked article, I came away thinking there is no such thing as "flac" 5.1. Am I wrong? That article never mentioned anything like that, and it was quite thorough. Perhaps quadrophonic may have been somewhat open, but everything else was a licensed codec. I have been wrong once or twice before...
Flac 5.1 isn’t much different from FLAC 2.0. You can buy downloads online, stream from Qobuz, rip discs, convert between codecs just like we do with stereo.

It is slightly more awkward with say ripping SACD, but in principle pretty much the same. Also, there may be an issue with some discs being copy protected.

I don’t have any experience of Atmos, but understand it can be streamed from Tidal and isn’t a particularly high quality format.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paulssurround

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles