Nead test gear +Behringer DCX2496

livehifipeter

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 22, 2011
UK Hampshire
AKA
Peter
I am assembling test gear .I have obtained a scope Topward 7021 need a calibrated mike , also what else to get to set up my speakers properly . ?

Have obtained a Behringer DCX2496. to go active I do have a duff one if anyone could repair for me please . Have a second A500 Behringer power amp

Sorry to get a bit involved any advice please

Thanks Peter

diceman

Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It sounds like you will probably be best off getting Holmimpulse, Behringer ECM8000 mic and USB dac/adc with mic phantom power.

If you wanted to borrow any of the above to test and have a play you are welcome (I am (just) in Hampshire).

IMHO the calibrated MIC is not that important, I have a very expensive calibrated mic & sound level meter as well as the ECM8000 and there is not much difference - where there is a little difference is north of 12Khz and unless you are planning on crossing over up that high it is of little importance IMHO and measurement in regular household rooms has limitations anyway.

I have used this setup a few times with Behringer DCX2496 & a couple of A500 power amps. It is very handy & quick.

livehifipeter

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 22, 2011
UK Hampshire
AKA
Peter
It sounds like you will probably be best off getting Holmimpulse, Behringer ECM8000 mic and USB dac/adc with mic phantom power. If you wanted to borrow any of the above to test and have a play you are welcome (I am (just) in Hampshire).

IMHO the calibrated MIC is not that important, I have a very expensive calibrated mic & sound level meter as well as the ECM8000 and there is not much difference - where there is a little difference is north of 12Khz and unless you are planning on crossing over up that high it is of little importance IMHO and measurement in regular household rooms has limitations anyway.

I have used this setup a few times with Behringer DCX2496 & a couple of A500 power amps. It is very handy & quick.
Many thanks for your offer most grateful . I wanted to initially to set up Pheonix trying 2 way I have now bored 2 drivers tweeter up the middle + another horn 3 way the combinations are endless . I have heard that it is hard to control the volumn on DCX2496 have you overcome it .

Thanks Peter

diceman

Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There is an easy way to control volume but it sounds crap! If you take analogue input to the Behringer running through a pre-amp beforehand you have total control of all channels. The difficulty is getting enough input signal level (volume controls on power amps is handy to lower them and allow high level input to the behringer). The other aspect is IMHO the ADC in the Behringer sounds crap.

So to answer your question - there is a way but I didn't use it as it sounded too crap.

Ideally you need a 4 or 6 channel passive pot after the Behringer outputs, Coco used a motorised contraption to run 3 regular alps Blue (IIRC) via 1 knob.

livehifipeter

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 22, 2011
UK Hampshire
AKA
Peter
Thanks for that. It has been getting a bit on top of me lately masses of problems to sort every day . It is now glassed ready for moulds soon. I am just going try a simple crossover in a minute until I get the DCX2496

Thanks peter

i_should_coco

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2006
There is an easy way to control volume but it sounds crap! If you take analogue input to the Behringer running through a pre-amp beforehand you have total control of all channels. The difficulty is getting enough input signal level (volume controls on power amps is handy to lower them and allow high level input to the behringer). The other aspect is IMHO the ADC in the Behringer sounds crap.So to answer your question - there is a way but I didn't use it as it sounded too crap.

Ideally you need a 4 or 6 channel passive pot after the Behringer outputs, Coco used a motorised contraption to run 3 regular alps Blue (IIRC) via 1 knob.
:^

Yep, the correct place for the attenuator is *after* the analogue output, otherwise as JP says you lose resolution. I removed the output stage of the Behringer (frankly, crap) and used transformers to block DC and convert to single-ended outputs which is more appropriate for domestic use and has the nice advantage of lowering the output levels to something more sensible.

The input stage could do with junking, too. I think the ADC is probably ok, but the analogue circuitry before it is again, a bit shit. Have a look here: http://www.pimmlabs.com/web/behringer.htm for some thoughts on suitable replacement circuits.

Other problems are the SRC chip in the Behringer, which has a known fault that means if you actually drive it with a 24/96 signal you get funny noises. By the time you modify it all to be what it should be, I found it's cheaper to buy a Nadja DSP (from DIYAudio) which sounds better out of the box, has remote volume control and is 4-way rather than 3, with potential expansion. It also supports digital out so you can use your DACs of choice and as a general purpose DSP platform allows FIR filtering to be used (though you have to create the filters).

livehifipeter

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 22, 2011
UK Hampshire
AKA
Peter
Wow you got to remember I am old fart . you know far more about the Behringer than I ever will .As said have I a duff one if anybody wants it just got notification the Behringer is on its way . You have rather lost me I am rather behind in the digital age . Would you be able to make up for me please come to some financial arrangement .

Thanks Peter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles