Neat Ultimatum MF5

AdamK

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 29, 2005
Bucks/Herts border
DSC00685.jpg

A few thoughts on my new babies...............

My much loved Nautilus 803's finally left the building tonight to start a new life in Earls Court on the end of some MF Nuvista gear. They have been packed up since sunday when the MF5's took over.

I know our esteemed mod PB once ran MF7's (or was it 9's) before ART fever set in. Being a fellow Naimee (albeit on a lower level) Neats enjoy a good reputation on the end of Naim gear.

I had been having nagging audiophool doubts regarding the N803's bass - or lack of it. They certainly do bass but it just was'nt to my taste. My recent replacement of Naim NAP135's for a NAP300 Power amp totally changed my system. The 135's produced a 'wooly' ill defined bass compared to the lean taught sound from the 300. Hearing the prodigous bass produced by Papa's Arcs on the end of JonR's Naim amps also got me wondering further.

Super Tweeters + Isobarik bass loading these rear ported MF5's are more fussy on siting. At least a foot from the rear wall to stop bass boom/bloom. My own musical tastes lean towards the heavy end of the spectrum - I therefore enjoy bass lines at which Naim excels.Until hearing the Neats I did'nt realise quite what 'bass grip' was.

I fully realise that at over £5.2k new with their special birch finish (I got these secondhand bargains at well under half ) these really did ought to be pretty special. These do all the N803's did plus much more of a bottom end presence. Perhaps I should have taken the next logical Nautilus step and gone for 802's, but have always shied away from reviews constantly stating that they need room to work properly.

The MF5's are undoubtedly a 'Rocker's' speaker - if your budget can stretch I would easily recommend. Who knows, the Herts/Bucks wigwam massive may well have a new bake-off venue in the summer (if we ever have one)

G

I bet that piccie doesn't do the finish justice. Why is B&W bass often described as woolly. Glad you're enjoying them:dude:

Injector

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
In a shed
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Duvet wrote:

I bet that piccie doesn't do the finish justice. Why is B&W bass often described as woolly. Glad you're enjoying them:dude:
'Cause it's woolly?
71_71.gif.3e6d891ee0cc25b2acfe143a79a91cc1.gif
.....:minikiev:

E

earl of sodbury

Lucky bastard!
1188.gif
wanna!
1188.gif
wanna!
1188.gif
wanna!
1188.gif

Enjoy!
wink.png

churz, eofs

roll_with_it

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2005
Middlesbrough, Cleve
Hi all,

I actually heard theseNeat speaker (same model) on Saturday. I was lucky enough to be able to go to the Neat factory at Barnard Castle and met Bob who was kind enough to give us a factory tour. Wewere also lucky enough to get tolisten to these speakers which were set up in the testing room.

Have to say I was well impressed with these. The bass in particular, VERY low, controlled and powerful. The build and finish of these speakersis amazing, with plenty of options. Great buy in my opinion.

The main reason of our visit was to pick up a pair of spanking new MYSTIQUE 2s. I'll tell you more about these in another thread:D

Thanks again to Bob at Neat, and also Paul at The Hifi Hut for organising this for me.
biggrin.png

Polarbear

Old bear
Wammer Plus
Jul 24, 2005
AKA
PB
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I know our esteemed mod PB once ran MF7's (or was it 9's) before ART fever set in. Being a fellow Naimee (albeit on a lower level) Neats enjoy a good reputation on the end of Naim gear.
You mean?

Naim2.jpg

Congratulations Adam, the Neats are a wonderfull pair of speakers tht will work well with your Naim 300. You won't find them lacking in any bass in any way.

If you need any help with using them and setting them up please do not hesitate to ask,

Regards

PB

AdamK

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 29, 2005
Bucks/Herts border
PB

I see it was MF9's - they need some space to work don't they ??

The guy I bought the MF5's from had moved up to MF9's (biamped with 2 pairs of NAP135's) - His suspended wooden floor was gonna prove tricky IMO. Nevertheless I think they will easily be able to hear them in Kilburn (he lived in Maida Vale)
wink.gif.25d7e4815f6a2fee62f4117deebb27e0.gif

Am still experimenting re positioning - about 12" from back wall + slight toe-in.

I was lead to believe that my NAP300 was once yours !!

Regards

Polarbear

Old bear
Wammer Plus
Jul 24, 2005
AKA
PB
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Adam

I spoke to John before he bought the MF9's he was deliberating over the 7's or 9's and I persuaded him to go for the 9's. They have the most tunefull and best conrolled bass in the Ultimatum series but they can be a pig to get right.

I have since spoken to John about set up tip's. Bob at Neat and peter my dealer spent many hours extracting the very best out of my MF9's and when you get them right they can be stunning. Particularly on the end of a brace of 500's.

May I ask where you got your300 from, there are a couple of them in exsistance,

Regards

PB

Polarbear

Old bear
Wammer Plus
Jul 24, 2005
AKA
PB
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You have the one second from bottom on the above picture then?

How is my old amp sounding?

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Polarbear wrote:

You mean?

Naim2.jpg

Congratulations Adam, the Neats are a wonderfull pair of speakers tht will work well with your Naim 300. You won't find them lacking in any bass in any way.

If you need any help with using them and setting them up please do not hesitate to ask,

Regards

PB
How tall are you Nige?
biggrin.png
:shock:
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif
:shock:

Polarbear

Old bear
Wammer Plus
Jul 24, 2005
AKA
PB
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am a few inches over six foot and yes I can dust the top
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

A

adam

Neat speakers are superb,I listen to mine all day,I can't wait to get some ultimums in,some of the sweetest treble and beguiling midranges around.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.