Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've got too many (ugly)boxes.
sad.png

I was struck by this fact some time ago but maybe I've been living in denial...I sprang the idea to Mrs Gromit about having some matching gear, and perhaps even cutting down on the number and size of the boxes on our QS rack.

As a result (and since she's been saying 'ooh that'd be a nice idea' which actually means 'flog your current gear and get summat pretty') I'm considering doing so. There are one or two factors here which are quite important...

1. The CDI being a top-loader is a PITA as it has to sit on the top shelf. Much rather have a front loader which can be slotted in more neatly.

2. The IVDR and IX togetherweigh around 40kg and are a bit bulky - something smaller and neater would be a Good Move (and be better for my back)

I have considered the following - any comments from you guys would be gratefully received (especially from those who've heard/owned the gear!). By the way, I'll keep my beloved Spacedeck as I know I can't really beat it without spending quite a lot of dosh. I had considered a Rega P7 as part of an all-Rega set up though.

NAS/P75/Puresound A30/Puresound CD player (don't know much about thisplayer unfortunately).

NAS (or maybe even P7)Rega Cursa 3 (with MC stage)/Maia 3 power/Saturn CD - I appreciate this is a top-loader but using SS amps this isn't a problem. If I went for a valve amp the CD player has to be front-loading so the amp can sit on the top shelf.

NAS/P75/SugdenA21/CD21

NAS/P75/Exposure3010S/3010S CD player (I didn't really like the older 3010 ampbut have heard the 'S' is a better piece of kit).

Music tastes? Pretty much everything from AC/DC to William Byrd.

Budget - hopefully the above choices will give folk a reasonable idea of how much I've got to spend (ie not a huge amount). Value for money is very important too - something which I believe the Rega stuff offers. Oh...and it has to sound groovy.
biggrin.png

Thanks for any ideas.
smile.png

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think you have two of thebest value music playing systems in your first hit list Gromit.

Either the Saturn/Cursa-Maia or Suggies to your choice.

I suggest the you and walace wander down to the dealers with some of your favourite discs and have a play.

Two slightly different takes on what is the best way of playing music properly, and bugger the hi fi. My money went on the Rega's, your's could just as easily go on the Yorkshire tat, either would be a fine choice. If, and it to me would be a big if, you change the NAS for a 7, make sure you hear it with the PSU. I think the 'warmth' of the NAS just edges out the drive of the 7, but the 7 is much easier to set up, and once set up that's it.

I went Rega and still finished up with for too many boxes

S5000119.jpg

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
Exposure 3010s is a very nice amplifier and if you find living with less boxes hard, you could always add a 3010s power amplifier
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
dudywoxer wrote:

I went Rega and still finished up with for too many boxes
S5000119.jpg
Now that looks very neat indeed (it'll be a popular choice wiv da missus I'm sure). I do like plenty of drive in my music - having heard Rega's absolutely fantastic 'system for a grand' system a couple of years ago I'd have little doubt that I'd like what their more beefy stuff can do.

Dave - have you had chance to hear the 3010S against the old 3010? Reason I ask is that the 3010 I owned for a couple of months just had very little of what I love about the older Exposure gear ie lots of get-up-and-go. It seemed somewhat flat and bland (plenty of poke though).

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Gromit...tell her you love her, she's gorgeous, buy her flowers, take her out, sh.g her silly....do anything possible, but DONT get less less boxes! I did once and regret it bitterly (I love my wife, but living with inferior sounds for 10 years....
sad.png
)

Instead, find ways to HIDE the EXTRA boxes you ned to buy to make your hifi sound better:) Then do the mowing, wash up, tell her you love her and I guarantee that she'll forget all about it by next week. (sorry Mrs Gromit)
smile.png

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
dudywoxer wrote:

Nah dont't just buy the rega
I'm very tempted - I had a very brief listen to a full-flight (almost)Rega system back when the Exons were first introduced and thouroughly enjoyed it. In factI went away thinking 'hang on a mo...that plays music pretty much the same way as my system'. Don't know what the TT was but reckon it was most likely a P9 (RB900).

Going Rega would result in the smallest amount of change (if any) in terms of musical presentation to what I have now, hence why a P7 might be on the cards (can't believe I'm even entertaining the idea of losing my Spacedeck but hey ho). Having said that when I bought my NAS I auditioned, for a couple of hours at least, the P5 v P7 and actually preferred the P5/upgraded psu package in several areas.

Of course the other alternative is Nai....you know what...but I haven't owned a Nai...you know what... for 17 years.

Lefty

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 8, 2005
In your town
Gromit wrote:

Of course the other alternative is Nai....you know what...but I haven't owned a Nai...you know what... for 17 years.
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

Only pulling your leg matey. Naim make some fantastic sounding kit and it would be criminal to not listen to what they have to offer within your budget.

Also, have you considered Densen? I have a feeling that the amps may be a little too polite for you but the CD players are second to none IMO. The best combo I've ever had was the AVI amp and Densen CD player, that was a match made in heaven. My current rig is inferior (just) but it looks nice.....

:minikiev:

Lefty

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Lefty wrote:

shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif
Only pulling your leg matey. Naim make some fantastic sounding kit and it would be criminal to not listen to what they have to offer within your budget.

Also, have you considered Densen? I have a feeling that the amps may be a little too polite for you but the CD players are second to none IMO. The best combo I've ever had was the AVI amp and Densen CD player, that was a match made in heaven. My current rig is inferior (just) but it looks nice.....

:minikiev:

Lefty
:Dat the Naim thing - believe me I'ma firm fan of the Salisbury crew (nails true colours to the mast!!)in fact in spite of its downsides - lack of inner subtlety perhaps - I still believe it's some of the most musically realistic and convincing kit around...but it's not what one would call cheap. The basic pre-powermust be 2k or so and with a CD5X is pushing the budget to its limit.Then again it's very neat and IMEimpeccably built...and I love the looks.
smile.png

Densen..hmmm...now there's something that hadn't crossed my mind, and it damn well should have done. Good call.
smile.png

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
All sillyness aside, in your position I would keep the NAS, Listen to Rega Cursa/Maia, Naim Pre-Power, or Supernait, and try the Sugden amps, your speaker choice would tell you which of the Sugdens you need. It's easy for us all to chuck suggestions in a hat, but given your various threads over the last few months, and the fact that through all, the exposures are still on the rack I think you need to listen to the Sheep as well. I tried Naim amps and decided that overall I prefer Rega's approach.

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
dudywoxer wrote:

All sillyness aside, in your position I would keep the NAS, Listen to Rega Cursa/Maia, Naim Pre-Power, or Supernait, and try the Sugden amps, your speaker choice would tell you which of the Sugdens you need. It's easy for us all to chuck suggestions in a hat, but given your various threads over the last few months, and the fact that through all, the exposures are still on the rack I think you need to listen to the Sheep as well. I tried Naim amps and decided that overall I prefer Rega's approach.
Good points.
smile.png

The Exposures are still here, as you rightly point out, as I haven't found anything to beat them - most of whatI hear sounds 'different' but in the end I keep coming home, perhaps a sign in itself. Sure, I've not tried a huge amount of other kit - the Icon valve amp was nice but no cigar, and the Puresound A30 whilst having a fair stab still didn't really do much for me.Maybe I'm not always aware of how good the Exposure kit really is? I don't listen to a vast amount of stuff to be honest (I daren't as I have little self-control when it comes to buying kit) so my net hasn't been cast particularly wide.

The 'all the same/few boxes' idea appeals mainly on an aesthetic front - my rack looks a complete mess at the moment and I felt that perhaps I could get a musically-satisfying rig which would also look good. Partly related is the fact that my listening room is, in all honesty,crap - it's way too small and the walls are alsopaper-thin. Thislimits choice of loudspeakers and volume to put through them. On the all-too-rare occasion that I can turn the volume up, the system comes to life in a big way. The Exposure really doesn't do low volume particularly well.

A Supernait does sound like an interesting idea, it'll definitely reduce the box-count too.

Bourney

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2006
stoke on trent
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
sounds like your looking for an excuse fro a change to me
biggrin.png

Densen B100 and 400 cd player. ive not heard the cd player to be honest but the amp is a cracker! one box, very pretty and plenty of power. ive had a the Rega Cursa/ maia and also Exons for a few years, i have to say and i'll probably get shot down for this..i prefferred the Densen integrated.
smile.png

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bourney wrote:

sounds like your looking for an excuse fro a change to me
biggrin.png
Densen B100 and 400 cd player. ive not heard the cd player to be honest but the amp is a cracker! one box, very pretty and plenty of power. ive had a the Rega Cursa/ maia and also Exons for a few years, i have to say and i'll probably get shot down for this..i prefferred the Densen integrated.
smile.png
Bugger...rumbled.
biggrin.png

I'll do some Densen investigating - their stuff certainly looks handsomely understated.
smile.png

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
Why not buy an Inrtgrated with XLR inputs, this will make the audiophile in you feel very well catered for, next up buy a CDP/DAC or DVD player with XLR outputs, then add a set of speakers that work very well with the amp. Also go for a CDP/DAC/DVD player that has digital inputs, thereby reducing the box count. OK a bit left field but have been in the same position as you and ended up paring back to basics, to a system I am very happy with.

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Lefty wrote:

Don't mind me... I just feel like posting some random completely unrelated links
whistling.gif.b56e45ab421c066833020c8ede98c081.gif

Random link 1

Random link 2

Completely random you understand
wink.gif.25d7e4815f6a2fee62f4117deebb27e0.gif

Lefty
biggrin.png

As random as a very random thing of course...

Cheeky
wink.png

Only downside is I'd have to sell-on the Exposures before I move on. Looking at seeing if anyone does Naim home-dems/loan at the moment.

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Naim CD5x/Nac112x/Nap150x/FC2 combo is very good indeed (looks the biznis too).

Though that's still four boxes! (and 3.5k)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles