Neil young visits meridian

Jelly Tussle

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 1, 2013
NEIL YOUNG VISITS MERIDIAN

Bob Stuart and Neil Young:

neilyoungbobstuartmerid.jpg

Meridian Audio had an intriguing visitor yesterday: musician and high-definition music campaigner Neil Young, the founder of Pono, a hi-res music service, dropped in for a meeting with Meridian founder Bob Stuart.
Neil Young launched Pono last year, promising to 'rescue an art form' with hi-res music and a portable music player to go with it. Pono failed to set the music world alight – and was tipped for "ridicule and failure" by Linn Products' MD Gilad Tiefenbrun – but it looks like Young, and now Meridian, are still very much in the game.
In the Experience Centre Young saw (and heard) historic models including the company's first active speaker, the M1 from 1977, commenting 'That's a beautiful sound.'
I'm not so sure that this signals a Meridian - Pono tie up as the article speculates. I'm pretty sure that Bob Stuart thinks that sampling above 96Khz is a waste of time.

Interesting that Mr Young should pop in and visit Meridian though.

G

Perhaps Young was a tad naiive, but surely as fans of the highest possible fidelity music replay, we should be supporting his efforts, not ridiculing them?
Ordinarily I'd agree, but isn't / wasn't he punting a new format? What's wrong with FLAC and others at whatever bits / sampling rate you fancy? It all sounded a bit "not-invented-here", or even "it needs my special sauce".

Obviously I am a clodpole so may have misunderstood completely.

hearingisbelieving

Wammer
Wammer
May 10, 2011
Bendorf, Germany
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Yes, pono is a rubbish service/format/device.
Fixt.

Sodders I am all for supporting those striving to produce the highest possible fidelity, or even lesser fidelity, as long as their ideas werent thought up on the back of a fag packet.

Besides its so much easier to ridicule people - fun too!

harmonica98

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 14, 2012
London
AKA
Tom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'll be amazed if anything actually comes of Pono, but hey, Archives Vol.1 did come out after about a 20 year delay so you never know.

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
It's well meaning, but misguided.

I remember an interview he did once on R4. He interchangeably used the concepts of lossy compression (like mp3) and dynamic range compression (as used in mastering and post-production) and constantly got them mixed up - the net effect was a muddled and confusing argument that would have left the average punter in a state of perma-shrug.

Drugs, eh?

*tuts*

nipponhifi

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 20, 2006
Uppsala, Sweden
AKA
Martin
It's a product and service that is neither needed or wanted...

IPod sales started to fall around 2009, so what possibly is the point of an 'iPod killer' when the very concept of a dedicated, portable music player - regardless of the alleged playback quality - is already outdated in the hive-mind of the general population?

I also find it comical to hear a man who has spent the last 50 years wilfully destroying his hearing (and the hearing of his live audiences) talking about the qualitative differences between portable audio formats and players. Let's blind test the hell out of that equation, shall we?

As for Flea from RHCP supporting the product from a recording and sound quality standpoint... Really? REALLY? After all the truly abysmally mastered recordings he has been involved with??

• Upvote
Reactions: browellm

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Neil Young eh?

Sure it isn't a cover, I thought the original was written by Irvine Welsh?

clap

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 26, 2009
Wales
AKA
tristan
Perhaps Young was a tad naiive, but surely as fans of the highest possible fidelity music replay, we should be supporting his efforts, not ridiculing them?
Totally agree.

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
unless ofc you're in the trade and have a vested interest in ridiculing anything that you don't happen to sell.

I applaud him, but had no idea that he had made a special study of this "I also find it comical to hear a man who has spent the last 50 years wilfully destroying his hearing (and the hearing of his live audiences) talking about the qualitative differences between portable audio formats and players. Let's blind test the hell out of that equation, shall we?"

Is the NY band specially louder than any other????

nipponhifi

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 20, 2006
Uppsala, Sweden
AKA
Martin
unless ofc you're in the trade and have a vested interest in ridiculing anything that you don't happen to sell.I applaud him, but had no idea that he had made a special study of this "I also find it comical to hear a man who has spent the last 50 years wilfully destroying his hearing (and the hearing of his live audiences) talking about the qualitative differences between portable audio formats and players. Let's blind test the hell out of that equation, shall we?"

Is the NY band specially louder than any other????
Firstly John, if that's aimed at me, I can categorically reassure you that me being 'in the trade' has nothing what-so-ever to do with my opinions on this badly thought out, lumbering three legged white elephant of an idea.

If Neil and his partners had decided to push a software player (or a multi-platform app) and a download service, then I'd applaud him. He'd probably still fail at making it a mass-market service because - and this is the kicker - THE GENERAL PUBLIC DON'T GIVE A TOSS ABOUT ULTIMATE FIDELITY. Buying the SAME MUSIC over and over and over again in different formats just to achieve a (supposed) improvement in quality has proven to be a massive turn-off for normal people (SACD? DVD-A?), and asking them to buy a dedicated portable music player just for these new files (that most of them will not perceive as better) is wonky thinking of the highest magnitude. If it can't be shoved on a phone or a tablet, it's cold gravy.

Neil Young and Crazy Horse are / were legendarily one of the loudest live bands ever. Neil Young is a rock musician. Neil Young has been a rock musician for over 50 years. Neil Young apparently has tinnitus. All of which points at Neil Young not being a credible source when it comes to assessing the quality of sound, as the man's hearing will definitely, definitely be damaged.

Flea from RHCP assessed the quality of Pono in Neil Young's car. High Fidelity listening environment then? Suitable place to assess the merits of this astonishing revelatory format?

All of the problems NY is so annoyed about could be solved with better mastering. No new formats / players / download services are required. Maybe he should have spent more time badgering the labels about this, rather than getting them to sign up to his download service (if it ever happens and which he owns, so will make money from).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles