Networking for the show

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Think of the hotel WiFi as being equivalent to your ISP connection at home. If your neighbour has a Node and uses the same ISP you don't expect to see his node on your network.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not sure Tony. When the app first looks, it gives the 'searching for players' message, so as Bluesound is able to do multi-room devices, it may well find other players on the network.

Not bothered about that aspect though. I just don't see how the player will be 'visible' on the app, because there is no way to enter the Wi-Fi details other than through the app, but to do that, it needs to actually be connected via Wi-Fi. I suspect that 'out of the box' it's fine, but mine will already have my Wi-Fi set in it.

My brain hurts. I'll just bring the sodding turntable anyway and if there's room, the Node can come along for the ride and be a 'possible' if all else goes t*ts up. Worst-case, I'll be CD only, which is not terrible.

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not sure Tony. When the app first looks, it gives the 'searching for players' message, so as Bluesound is able to do multi-room devices, it may well find other players on the network.
Trust me - it won't happen unless they are connected to the same (shared) LAN. The hotel isn't providing a shared LAN connection via the WiFi, it is providing multiple individual connections to 'tinternet. You won't be able to see any other connected device unless they have comprehensively effed it up.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Trust me - it won't happen unless they are connected to the same (shared) LAN. The hotel isn't providing a shared LAN connection via the WiFi, it is providing multiple individual connections to 'tinternet. You won't be able to see any other connected device unless they have comprehensively effed it up.
The bit I can't get my head round, is that I will be able to connect my phone to the Wi-Fi by putting the settings in. However, I can't put the settings into the Node directly. It has to effectively be 'found' by the app on my phone. I can't figure how it will do that without it already being connected.

Magic, I assume :)

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The bit I can't get my head round, is that I will be able to connect my phone to the Wi-Fi by putting the settings in. However, I can't put the settings into the Node directly. It has to effectively be 'found' by the app on my phone. I can't figure how it will do that without it already being connected.

Magic, I assume :)
They have to be connected to the same subnet. In effect, when you connect a device to the hotel WiFi, it creates a subnet for that connection that contains exactly one device (yours). The only connectivity it has is to the WAN, via the hotel router. If you want 2 or more devices to talk to each other, you need to create a subnet that they can all join - i.e., a LAN. Hence, connect a router to the hotel WiFi and connect your devices to that router. They will then see each other - but won't see any devices in the next room.

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A thought and a question...

I'm more than a little concerned about the turntable, partly the fragility, but more the possibility of the bouncy floor making it totally not worthwhile. As a backup, if there's room I may go against what I'd originally said, and bring the Node.

However (a big however), it is already obviously set to the wireless network here. I have the Bluesound app on my phone, but it occurs to me that there will likely be more than one Node 2i at the show, so the 'find my player and set it up' may be a nightmare, especially as it obviously will all have to be done via wifi.

Anyone ever tried to 'install' a Node on a different network without the possibility of a wired connection?
Do you know the appropriate weight of your TT and any base it is sat on Richard? I have some spare spring mounts (not the Nobsound type) I could bring along that might help with isolation.

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@rabski

Take the Node manual with you (quick startup Page 3 (connect to WiFi) with no connection the Node will setup its own hot spot.
1. Connect phone/tablet to hotel WiFi.
2. Select WiFi networks on phone and choose the Node hot-spot NODE-xxx
3. Press GO a control page should then appear.
4. Select Configure wifi
5. Input hotel wifi details + password & Node room name.
6. Select UPDATE & wait for solid blue light.
7. Return phone to hotel wifi and all should be good.

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@rabski

Take the Node manual with you (quick startup Page 3 (connect to WiFi) with no connection the Node will setup its own hot spot.
4. Select Configure wifi
It sets up its own hotspot...? That's cheating 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: bencat

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@rabski

4. Select Configure wifi
Thanks John. That all makes sense.

That said, turntable will be fine probably. Richard, not a clue basically. It stands on a granite slab that goes on the wall shelf. I'll sling the granite in the car, but I imagine it's about 15 or so kilos all in. It's not a suspended TT and pretty immune normally. I'm going to take both the Quadraspire racks and hopefully not need to use hotel furniture, but that'll give me the option to use the hotel stuff and one rack, or mess about until I get it close enough. Unless the floor is trampoline style, it ought to be good.

As before, I am not going to worry or obsess over any of it. What works is what will work. What doesn't work won't get used. It's a fun day. It would be nice to get the TT singing, after the effort of (hopefully) getting it there in one piece, but it's not the be all and end all. The digital sounds not half bad.

If there's space and time, I'll Node it. If not, I won't worry. There will be enough time to spend setting up the room and sticking a gazillion valves in the correct holes.

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@rabski

4. Select Configure wifi
Did you manage to get this to work at the show John?

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Did you manage to get this to work at the show John?
No.
But only because codes would only let 1 device log in. Setting up and running needed tablet and Node to be on same network. Their dumb system meant 2 codes & 2 LANs that wouldn't talk to each other. Roo is gonna get them to set it to multiple devices on 1 code for next time.
Briefly ran ifi Zen Blue 2 with Qobuz BT'd from Tab, but then lent ifi & Tab to Bencat.

Last edited:
Reactions: rabski and Tony_J

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No.
But only because codes would only let 1 device log in. Setting up and running needed tablet and phone to be on same network. Their dumb system meant 2 codes & 2 LANs that wouldn't talk to each other. Roo is gonna get them to set it to multiple devices on 1 code for next time.
Briefly ran ifi Zen Blue 2 with Qobuz BT'd from Tab, but then lent ifi & Tab to Bencat.
I had to use the backup plan of setting up my phone as a hotspot - the router I was using couldn't handle the business of feeding a code into the ISP's landing page.

Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No.
But only because codes would only let 1 device log in. Setting up and running needed tablet and Node to be on same network. Their dumb system meant 2 codes & 2 LANs that wouldn't talk to each other. Roo is gonna get them to set it to multiple devices on 1 code for next time.
Not that we are going back to Stoke but the issue Tony_j and I believe was MAC filtering on the PRIVATE network, so a repeater would not work.
A repeater on the the PUBLIC network to creat an ‘in room’ LAN worked fine.

Lesson for the next hotel where ever she maybe!!!!

Reactions: Tony_J

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not that we are going back to Stoke but the issue Tony_j and I believe was MAC filtering on the PRIVATE network, so a repeater would not work.
A repeater on the the PUBLIC network to creat an ‘in room’ LAN worked fine.

Lesson for the next hotel where ever she maybe!!!!
Obviously you need a switch and some shorter cables 😬

• Haha
Reactions: Tony_J

Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Obviously you need a switch and some shorter cables 😬
Wrong audiophile switch and audiophile cables.
As if a £20 TPLink repeater and a CAT 6e patch cable could ever work flawlessly from Saturday evening on the public WiFi network?
My bad :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles