new camara advice

geraint

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2007
, ,
Hi

there are probably many threads on this topic on here so if someone would be able to point in me in the right direction that would be great or make suggestions here.

I've got a Fujifilm F11 which has served me well but I would like to try something more. I am interested in both landscape but also macro, flowers etc.

I am essentially a technophobe but can learn. I also have a limited budget £300ish. I have been looking on line at reviews and mags but to be frank the number of choices is pretty mind numbing. Any suggestions to narrow my research would be welcome.

Thanks in anticipation

G

To max out your budget I'd check out Canon, Nikon, Comet outlet stores.

geraint

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2007
, ,
Hi

thanks I suppose that narrows it a bit any one wan to be a bit more specific, realise £300's not a lot of dosh?

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's enough for a new point and shoot camera of good quality, or a used DSLR.

How serious do you want to become? I think that if you enjoy taking pics and like to show them around, then a used DSLR is the way to go.

Pentax, Sony, Canon, Nikon...Loads out there.

I suggest you wander into somewhere like Comet or John Lewis and handle each make, to see what you find comfortable and intuitive to use.

After that, come back here and ask for model advice for a specific maker.

Good luck anyway. :)

geraint

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2007
, ,
Thanks will do that probably best to get the physical feel.

A used DSLR would not be out of the question, have been getting increasingly into actually taking photos not just point and shoot

geraint

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2007
, ,
Thanks will do that probably best to get the physical feel.

A used DSLR would not be out of the question, have been getting increasingly into actually taking photos not just point and shoot

S

scruffybitch

get one that includes the instruction book, you'll be stuck without it

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Thanks will do that probably best to get the physical feel.A used DSLR would not be out of the question, have been getting increasingly into actually taking photos not just point and shoot
If you do look at a DSLR, get to a shop and have a play first, there is quite a lot of difference in feel/layout with different brands :^

geraint

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2007
, ,
Hi yeh agreed need to go an have a fondle really. iI have been reading that there are cameras between the sort of point and go that I have and DSLRs is it worth looking at these or do they really give no step up from something like the F11?

macvisual

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 6, 2008
Scotland
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Have a search for the likes of a used Canon 20D or 40D camera's, great cameras for the type of photography you fancy shooting.

S

soulman

Something like a Panasonic G3, smaller than a dslr, lots of lenses available and IQ is plenty good enough for 24'x18" prints. Available new for £249 with a kit lens

geraint

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2007
, ,
Funny been reading about this, in price and not as heavy, complicated as a DSLR. Are they still available in a shop to actually get a feel do you think?

S

soulman

Maybe Internet only now, great little camera but it is a little pared down compared to some dslr options. Would be my choice at that price level. Another £100 will get an Olympus 40-150 which is a cracking little telezoom. So £350 for a range from 28-300mm (35mm equ) and a camera with tilt screen and evf. It uses the same or similar sensor to the gx1 and g5. I only got rid to get an Olympus om-d and wished I'd kept it as a second body for the articulated touch screen alone...

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Funny been reading about this, in price and not as heavy, complicated as a DSLR. Are they still available in a shop to actually get a feel do you think?
Yes, have a feel. I actually bought a G3 online without handling it beforehand and ended up not liking it. I just didn't agree with the way it felt in my hand so returned it to the retailer (Amazon). I subsequently bought, and kept, a GX1 (which is highly portable with the f1.7 20mm pancake lens).

geraint

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2007
, ,
Will have to have a trip round what's left of camera outlets at the weekend in Leeds; as people are suggesting it's important to actually hold the camera potograpohy is actually such a tactile activity.

If i make a short list i'll come back for some more words of wisdom, thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online