New CD Player

windup600

Wammer
Wammer
May 6, 2006
London
AKA
Ben APFEL
I want to get a back up cd player. Currently I have an audiocom modified Sony X777ES player. I thought about get another old Sony, but I am petrified that the laser might die and then I am left with a dead lump of metal. Budget is tops £1000, but would prefer £800. I am really unsure what I should buy. Are there any players that for example actually contain a decent clock in them to begin with and have a decent non-plasticky build quality? Thought about the new Cambridge Audio 840C but I have a bit of an aversion to buying something that is only available from Richer Sounds? Can anybody give me any suggestions? Ideally, the player would have balanced outputs which is why I thought about the Cambridge Audio.

Polarbear

Old bear
Wammer Plus
Jul 24, 2005
AKA
PB
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would seriously consider the Roksan Kandy CD player or if you can strech to it the Roksan Caspian CD player,

Regards

PB

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
The Strat wrote:

What does balanced outputs mean?The Strat (Wigwam's resident luddite!)
its a different type of plug system for input and out put often used on pro equipment as the system is good for longer runs

some people say its better, the down side is to do it proper can mean more parts are needed in the equipemnt so some say its not

Chord electronics say its better, but DK who make my amplifier and Manley who make Supercapmans amplifier say no

Glens of Antrim

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Norn Iron, , United
Polarbear wrote:

I would seriously consider the Roksan Kandy CD player or if you can strech to it the Roksan Caspian CD player,Regards

PB
Don't like disagreeing with a carnivore with big teeth & claws, but as a former owner I'd be careful of the Kandy imho. It has great PRaT, but little sophistication - though a new version is coming out/may be out. The old one had no balanced outputs. The Caspian's a good spinner imo. But I'd go for a 2nd hand MF X-Rayv3. As ever demoing is the only answer.

GofA

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
windup600 wrote:

Does that no have a nasty CD Rom drive in it?
Nope - the 507 and 588 do, but not the 506 or 508.
wink.png

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There's a lovely Audionet V2 cdp in the classifieds section. If you could stretch your budget just a little this heavyweight German beauty could be yours.
wink.png

Tons of Fun

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 26, 2006
Concrete cow funland
AKA
Ed
windup600 wrote:

Thought about the new Cambridge Audio 840C but I have a bit of an aversion to buying something that is only available from Richer Sounds? Can anybody give me any suggestions? Ideally, the player would have balanced outputs which is why I thought about the Cambridge Audio.
Obviously I havea bias a mile wide but it would be a big shame to ignore the 840C purelyon account of RS.

harv

Hard working slacker
Wammer Plus
Jan 5, 2006
deepest S.London, ,
AKA
erm... guess
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Papa Lazarou wrote:

There's a lovely Audionet V2 cdp in the classifieds section. If you could stretch your budget just a little this heavyweight German beauty could be yours.
wink.png
It is a cracking CDP doesn't have XLR outputs though... Classe CDP-10 is fine too and has balanced ouputs. Audio Analogue Maestro is pretty good too.

stickman

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 17, 2006
Manchester
AKA
Phil
Less than <£500 for a TEAC VRDS25/X. Battleship build quality, weighing 20kg. Fully serviceable and with balanced outputs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles