New Deck

Signs

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 14, 2019
The scale weight (tracking downforce) is best checked with the antiskate at zero. The nearest you can get, I believe, is with the little chrome slidey weight nearest the arm, when it’s equivalent to 0.5g antiskate force.

But I actually meant that with 1.5g downforce, your unlikely to need 1.75 on the antiskate. The numbers should be roughly the same, if a bit less typically on antiskate. Unfortunately it’s not an exact science, so if it sounds good with no mistracking I’d not worry!

Another way to check is if the arm cues up and down without drifting at various places across the record. But the real test is that any mistracking on the loudest music isn’t more in the left or right channel, but roughly the same in both. The Bronze should be very good in that regards.

Does that help, or have I confused you with too much detail?
that's great thanks , the arm does "float" a bit prior to placing the needle on the record ?

I've got to say it does sound very good , but i want to make sure all is correct

thanks for the input

Signs

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 14, 2019
The Thorens is going back for repair 😳😢

The tone arm base isn't sitting right , bit disappointed to say the least 6CC2F315-BE31-4FA6-9D2D-0CDBC65171E8.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: JANDL100

Signs

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 14, 2019
Can’t actually see what the problem is?
Yeah sorry it’s difficult to get the right angle shot , basically the plate the tonearm sits on is sloping away from the plate the platter sits on ( not even sure that makes sense 🥴)

Signs

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 14, 2019
The service guy at Audio Affair seems to think he needs to re_seat the base as it sits on springs and rubbers and one has popped off

Reactions: Rockchild

hilts1967

Wammer
Aug 20, 2017
Blackburn
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
my Thorens TD1500 turned up yesterday , a few tweaks and all should be good deck.jpg

Thorens looks great and I hope you got it sorted.

I currently have a Pro-ject debut carbon and I'm looking for a new TT myself and was in between Rega Planar 8, Pro-ject X8 or the Thorens.
Are you using the balanced connections ?

Signs

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 14, 2019
Thorens looks great and I hope you got it sorted.

I currently have a Pro-ject debut carbon and I'm looking for a new TT myself and was in between Rega Planar 8, Pro-ject X8 or the Thorens.
Are you using the balanced connections ?
Good morning
No just the standard RCA

Signs

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 14, 2019
I'm probably not going to get the chance to hear the Thorens against the Rega or Pro-ject. Would you say the Thorens is better ?
I cant answer that I'm afraid , my last TT was a Thorens TD160 so I'm a little biased

Reactions: hilts1967

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles