Wammer
Mar 8, 2010
Peterborough.
AKA
Alan Ralph
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi All,
Been looking to upgrade my Amplifier and CD/Dac separates, but finding it very difficult to find anything in stock. Or if they do then they have one in black and the other in silver. Been offered good discounts of 20% if I buy the mis-match in colours. I notice some manufacturers have now an on-line ordering facility with very little stock available. Looking to spend about about £6K. I have considered separate brands which my local dealer has lent me but then have found conflict with remote controls codes. Have looked at Marantz, Audiolab, Copland, Primare ,leema etc

dave

incurable tinkerer
Wammer
Mar 24, 2014
cambs
AKA
dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Working in electronics, supply chain issues are bad, and I am not sure when it is going to get better. Some components must still be being made, but problem parts just aren't available. We are now having to recycle unobtanium parts from scrap boards.

Reactions: rabski

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
Lincolnshire Coast
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Semi con production was already under extreme pressure following Covid. The war in Ukraine is also causing serious problems. Ukraine used to supply around half the world's semicon grade Neon (used in lithography) from just two companies both of which have ceased operation. Similar story for Palladium. On top of all that, international freight charges have increased by hundreds of percent amd transit times significantly increased.

I work in industrial machine automation. Serious supply chain issues are leading to many components being on 6 month lead times, many on 12+ months. Consumers haven't seen much of the impact of this yet (other than car production), but that will change over the coming months and years. There's also a very serious energy squeeze coming in the autumn/winter, which has thevreal potential to create yet further problems.

Last edited:

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
COVID, Brexit, war, etc. It's all having nasty consequences for electronics overall. I've posted this before, but trawling through things like the RS website, it used to be a case of finding the best match and lowest price. Now it's a case of finding what's actually available. Masses of stuff is on back order, and not just semiconductors.

• Upvote
Reactions: dave

marko

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Feb 20, 2007
N.Yorkshire.
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What will stock/supply chain issues have on pricing going forward, for both new and second hand?

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
Lincolnshire Coast
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What will stock/supply chain issues have on pricing going forward, for both new and second hand?
Even bigger price rises on new.

Used pricing will reflect popularity of the particular piece in question and the strength, or otherwise, of the market

Cost of living increases, which are significant currently, will only get worse. This will dampen demand for luxury goods like hifi, so used prices will generally suffer for many [not all] items (whilst demand for new kit will dampen, there is no scope for price reductions due to massively increased cost of production and distribution). Some items may be so in demand that the market will pay a premium for used examples of those items, but that's the minority of items.

freefallrob

Mazda RX-8 & Subaru fan.
Wammer
Nov 9, 2018
Swanwick
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I work in the hydraulics industry, I echo the comments above on supply issues, even everyday items are sometimes difficult and expensive to get hold of, some on year long delivery times....

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
Chichester, W Sussex
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There is currently a stunning looking Primaluna integrated in the classifieds. As for a cdp how about grabbing an Audiolab 6000T and temporarily plumbing it into your Node until you sort out a DAC.

Reactions: hiesteem

Steveh

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 3, 2007
Darkest Yorkshire
AKA
tallow vendor
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For your digital source, my recommendation would be an inexpensive CD player to use as a transport(new or used Marantz perhaps?) feeding a Chord Qutest. DAC.
For your amplifier, I would again recommend Chord, which will drive any loudspeaker with nothing added or removed.
Looking at my kit..................I would say that wouldn't I? :giggle:

nomore landings

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2018
Dawson's Field
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Even bigger price rises on new.

Used pricing will reflect popularity of the particular piece in question and the strength, or otherwise, of the market

Cost of living increases, which are significant currently, will only get worse. This will dampen demand for luxury goods like hifi, so used prices will generally suffer for many [not all] items (whilst demand for new kit will dampen, there is no scope for price reductions due to massively increased cost of production and distribution). Some items may be so in demand that the market will pay a premium for used examples of those items, but that's the minority of items.
Agree Simon. In addition, the pound has fallen significantly against the $, ¥ & yuan. Hugely inflationary. I embarked on my final upgrade cycle as predicted the demise of sterling after Sunak’s covid helicopter money than we don’t have. Another £21 billion just added to that. Gordon brown on steroids. Mr No more boom and bust.
my TEAC was airfreighted from Hong Kong, the Luxman from Japan. Unheard of a few years ago, but shipping containers now a lottery and with exorbitant costs. Difficult to see an end to the chaos and the global battle for component/ commodities supply only just beginning, imho.

Reactions: simon g

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
Lincolnshire Coast
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Agree Simon. In addition, the pound has fallen significantly against the $, ¥ & yuan. Hugely inflationary. I embarked on my final upgrade cycle as predicted the demise of sterling after Sunak’s covid helicopter money than we don’t have. Another £21 billion just added to that. Gordon brown on steroids. Mr No more boom and bust.
my TEAC was airfreighted from Hong Kong, the Luxman from Japan. Unheard of a few years ago, but shipping containers now a lottery and with exorbitant costs. Difficult to see an end to the chaos and the global battle for component/ commodities supply only just beginning, imho.
Yes, good point on exchange rates. Below illustrates trend:

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/currency

nomore landings

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2018
Dawson's Field
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Allegedly the £15b is £21b as the previous £200 energy reduction was a loan. Now a £400 grant. From the times today:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...look-of-an-emerging-market-currency-prxsb8zdshifi only to get more expensive, imho My Luxman 507 amp was £5k, discounted from £5.8k the updated 507Z is £8k, if you can get one.
Hi Radiohead. I was very happy with my now superseded Made in Japan Marantz Pm14 &SA14. The suggested Denon pair would be on my list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mazian

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles