Linn Owners

New listening room, hooray! But where to hang the LP12

RMA

Wammer
Oct 23, 2019
north of Hamburg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
After nearly a year we've finally (more or less) completed our move into our new house. The whole business was pretty stressful and is one of the reasons that I haven't posted here for quite a while. The most positive aspect of the whole deal is that I now have a new music room - all to myself, well nearly, it also has to double as a guest bedroom which results in a clap down bed 2.14 x 1.43 m projecting 0.43 m into the room when it's closed. Since the room is only 5.1 x 2.93 m, that's quite a chunk. There are a few other positive and negative issues about the room, but on the whole, they belong in another thread on more detailed SO problems. To complete the room dimensions there's a concrete ceiling which is 2,75 m high with an acoustic ceiling hung below it at 2,49 m (about 1 cm thick). Linn have confirmed that for SO I can ignore the suspended ceiling (for aesthetic and other reasons, it ain't going to go away, so it may turn up in a future thread)!

My main problem is where to mount the LP12 on its trusty Sound Örganisation shelf. The most reasonable position seems to be somewhere on the wall on the long side of the room between the speaker wall and the door which fits in at 3.22 m from the speaker wall. The optimum height for laying on records and cuing seems to be ~120 - 150 cm although a bit lower wouldn't be a big problem. Either directly under the shelf, or slightly to the side depending on height, will be a bookshelf measuring 120 x 65 cm which will be full of LPs and CDs and on top of which the Akurate Hub and Radikal will sit. I'm not sure if the height of the shelf will have much effect as far as avoiding bass resonances is concerned, but I'm pretty sure that the position along the length of the wall will have some effect. (Just for info, my guess is that mounting the turntable directly on the rear wall (opposite the speakers) would be sub-optimal, but radiator and window occupying almost the full width of the wall make that an impossibility anyway). There would, theoretically, be enough room on the side walls behind either the door or the fold-away bed, but this would be so deep into the corner that I can't imagine it being a suitable place.

Up until now I've always been lucky enough to be able to place the LP12 in an adjacent room (and usually on the opposing wall) so having to consider direct bass energy affecting the turntable is something new for me!

I think that's enough for this thread, I'll go into the other peculiarities of the room in another thread.

Cheers

Roy

Reactions: akamatsu

RMA

Wammer
Oct 23, 2019
north of Hamburg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Tendaberry, I don't have a decent sketch, other than in pencil which probably wouldn't make a very good photo. The room, as mentioned is a bit small at ~3 x 5 m. At the moment it's full with stuff from the move that hasn't yet been sorted out. I've taken a few quick photos with my mobile phone which I'll try and post at the end of the text. Assuming the photos work out, at the end of the room where speakers will end up there's a chest under which the amplifiers etc. will sit. Behind the chest is a curious protrusion (reason unknown) about 14 cm thick. I'm assuming that in SO I'll have to model this as a narrower object up to the ceiling. On the right-hand wall in this photo is a small window and underneath this window is a small open cupboard in which the LPs and CDs will be kept and the Akurate Hub and Radikal will sit on top of it. In two of the other photos you can see the ends of the folding bed, which will prove a bit of a problem for the LH speaker.

My original plan is to sit the LP12 alongside (or slightly lower than) the small window and the question is whether any undesirable standing waves could occur somewhere along this wall, or is anywhere out of the corners (and not too near the speakers) pretty well OK.

Cheers

Roy

Attachments

• 20221201_160903.jpg
    20221201_160903.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 31
  • 20221201_160906.jpg
    20221201_160906.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 29
  • 20221201_160917.jpg
    20221201_160917.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 28
  • 20221201_160921.jpg
    20221201_160921.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 29

RMA

Wammer
Oct 23, 2019
north of Hamburg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The general advice is not too close to the speakers or in a corner.

Underlining this point. Beyond this recommendation, just let convenience determine location.

thanks to both, that's exactly what I was hoping to have confirmed!

Cheers

Roy

Reactions: akamatsu

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
puresse

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles