cotes-du-rhone

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 27, 2014
West Yorks
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Isn’t that a surprise? 😀
I couldn’t say I could have identified the failings of the speaker with such accuracy and they have never frightened me, but I do agree that with acoustic music they portray the performance in a magical way…

cotes-du-rhone

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 27, 2014
West Yorks
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When I said “what a surprise”, the thing I was surprised about was that they had ever been reviewed! I have only seen one pair for sale apart from mine and never met anyone who claimed to have heard them. I’ve seen the odd reference on an American forum many years ago, but apart from that, not a lot since that show at (iirc) Heathrow…

lowendall

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 14, 2009
Scotland
AKA
happy enough
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I like those reproduction recordings. Except when the modern reissue sound 'engineer' meddles with the mixing and destroys the recording. I also find a lot of CDs from before 2000 to be very good. Many of the Phillips DUO Cds I have, quite a lot of which mix ADD and DDD, are excellent aurally and also well-manufactured objects. Quite a number from the late 90s onwards are shoddily-made discs.

However the SACD I bought of the Youth Orchestra playing Holst's The Planets (the same youth orchestra who played this at the Proms in 2016) is mind-blowingly good.
Some shocking classical CDs even modern things compressed to hell and back again whilst close mic tymps ???? I mean tymps are almost the loudest thing on the fooooking stage so you get direct sound tymps or top drum head of snare or close triangle ?? I use to run sound occasionally in a smaller venue jazz nights folk that sort of thing I had a. 4 k sound rig a nice posh active thing and a acoustic triangle with out a mic plenty loud enough to cut over a pa system going quiet loud at least 100 dB average and a little triangle clearing the stage all the way to the back of the room !!!! .

lowendall

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 14, 2009
Scotland
AKA
happy enough
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve got tons of classical albums. Half of them are shit recordings
It's a terrible shame isn't it imean all work put in by musicians working on parts ,skill in ensemble playing etc then some eejit plonks a mic in front of it and mixes and messes the hell out of things tweaks as they go along etc and blast the sound stage with direct miked tymps at crescendo s and have to drop a compressed limiter on the top to hold it all together ,honestly small classical stuff I used to playe in a little 8 piece string group with a harpsichord player as well we recorded some things on a little mini disk deck with cheap £60 stereo pair mics sound great nice and live no compression nothing just in to deck record then back to a cd recorder alliesis ml900 master deck ,again no trick recorded sound great on my old Sony G4 speakers .

Reactions: Leif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles