Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As one or two suggest in the earlier replies re my new Lyngdorf power amp, a new pre would also offer increases in quality, so, what are your suggestions? Ive posted this seperately from the Lyngdorf thread as its had a big response, and would be lost at the bottom of page 6 !

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Perhaps..hhmm a ermmm ooohhh errmmm... now what would work well with a Lyngdorf Power amp... hhhmmm..

Lyngdorf....Lyngdorf.... Lyngdorf....Lyngdorf....Lyngdorf.... hhmmm what would go with a Lyngdorf....

Nope can't think of one.
whistling.gif.b56e45ab421c066833020c8ede98c081.gif

icehockeyboy

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
hifiwigwam wrote:

Perhaps..hhmm a ermmm ooohhh errmmm... now what would work well with a Lyngdorf Power amp... hhhmmm..Lyngdorf....Lyngdorf.... Lyngdorf....Lyngdorf....Lyngdorf.... hhmmm what would go with a Lyngdorf....

Nope can't think of one.
Ok !! i asked for that didnt i! I was thinking other brands,not necessarily brand new.........carry on !
biggrin.png

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
icehockeyboy wrote:

As one or two suggest in the earlier replies re my new Lyngdorf power amp, a new pre would also offer increases in quality, so, what are your suggestions? Ive posted this seperately from the Lyngdorf thread as its had a big response, and would be lost at the bottom of page 6 !
MF
allrun.gif.2dcd1cfcd00feccff4530e9a308ebccd.gif

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
To be honest, If i could I would stick with the same brand for pre and power as tyhe are designed to work together. However I am prepared to be shot down here as I haven't spent any time at all listening to the differences...

....if a bloody switch and a pot can make a difference. :Not Sure:

Hawk

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Herts, United Kingdo
Do you have a budget in mind?

Im loving my border patrol control unit, and it seems to work well with quite a variety of power amps... I was also recently very impressed with the Music First Audio passive pre amp...

Hawk

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
hifiwigwam wrote:

Perhaps..hhmm a ermmm ooohhh errmmm... now what would work well with a Lyngdorf Power amp... hhhmmm..Lyngdorf....Lyngdorf.... Lyngdorf....Lyngdorf....Lyngdorf.... hhmmm what would go with a Lyngdorf....

Nope can't think of one.
Lyngdorf don't make a pre-amp.

The SDAi integrated has both single-ended and balanced pre-outs so could be used to bi-amp which might be a killer combo with the right speakers.

What are your speakers again IHB?

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
hifiwigwam wrote:

Lyngdorf don't make a pre-amp.
What the fuck use is the power amp then? Or do they admit they just can't quite be arsed.
biggrin.png
That's a very long story..... the basic reason is that they actually intended the SDA power amp to be used with the Tru-digital TDA2200 amplifier, the one Cloth-Ears has been wondering about. It has the capability to set up a crossover internally and output an analogue signal to a power amp (I.E. the SDA2175) solely to drive the passive corner subwoofers that Lyngdorf make. The poweramp is then only working on the low frequencies set by the crossover in the TDA 2200.

IHB - I reckon you should try the biamping with an integrated SDAi2175 myself. Or send the power amp back,get the SDAi2175 instead and sell the MF pre-amp.

meg

Wammer
New Wammer
Aug 4, 2005
glasgow, , United Ki
AKA
mark
Heres my 2 bobs worth suggested in Aprils edition of hi fi world croft vita pre amp/sda2175power it was recommended as an alternative to a Sugden a21se in the readers mail section.

All tube pre amp maybe worth some research.

Mark

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
ICE DUDE I'm going to ask a radical question first.

I know you say the Lyngdorf is better than the A3 but is there any ways in which it was worse (there is a reason for asking). I've been looking at loadsa' threads today and no one ever says "it's good but this wasn't so great...".

What I'm wondering is did the Lyngdorf just change things or is it actually better? Kinda of a "in the cold light of day..." question.

Secondly, you really have got to try a valve pre. I think the A3.2 is a stunning solid state preamp (not as good all round as my Nu-Vista but a lot more detailed) and I don't think you will get much better for sub £1k ;)but as I will be writing soon under reviews - valves are very very different.

My recent experience tells me that you will love the topend of valves, oh soperfect and voices have mass whilst soundstage is deeper (not as forward though). I'm undecided about bass yet.

I'm no valve expert but since you are dabbling do look into valve preamps - I'm sure loads of guys here know some good looking/sounding amps (I'm thinking of EAR as Shadow Audio have one of the 834 de luxe on ex dem).

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just in case you haven't heard EAR amps before.... they are not like typical valve amps soundwise - put it this way, if Naim made amps with valves they would sound like EAR amps.

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
musicbox wrote:

Just in case you haven't heard EAR amps before.... they are not like typical valve amps soundwise - put it this way, if Naim made amps with valves they would sound like EAR amps.
Thats enough to put some wigwammers off EAR for life
biggrin.png

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That would be a shame because they are good, but just not what people often expect of valve amps.

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
musicbox wrote:

Do you have any other recommendations as I was trying to get ICE to see a light (scuse pun!)
rofl.gif.57a0859802223cfb25763a5f876a4be6.gif

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Maybe something by Audio Research?I tried a LS7 and a LS2Bin the past, liked the LS7a lot but so many others to try....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pops