Wammer
Wammer
May 5, 2006
Plymouth
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Some of you may have seen in the bits n bobs thread, I got some new speakers...

Chance had it I was in the market and was offered these, not knowing much about them and a vague description on HFC i decided to take a chance, a chance worth taking too!

They were £1200 new, and unlike any other speaker i've had it shows, i've only dabbled with budget speakers in the past, these are something else, tonally great, image well, and bass is suprising for a relitively small driver!

Anyone else heard much of these? They're quite an odd construction, well built, with an inverted tweeter
wacko.png

Well here they are...

DSCF2372.jpg

DSCF2375.jpg

White Pheasant

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
Norfolk fields
AKA
Michael
Nice looking speakers. Don't know anything about them other than Hifi World's review summary (June '98):

"The OLs have transparency and detail in considerable amounts. Bass can be loose though."

Inotice you've put acushion behind each one. Does their 'alcove' position affect the sound in any way?

syep2001

Wammer
Wammer
May 5, 2006
Plymouth
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
White Pheasant wrote:

Nice looking speakers. Don't know anything about them other than Hifi World's review summary (June '98):"The OLs have transparency and detail in considerable amounts. Bass can be loose though."

Inotice you've put acushion behind each one. Does their 'alcove' position affect the sound in any way?
The cushions are merely to hide wires, but I was going to put up a thread about bay window positioning, they seem to sound ok where they are. Just wondered if there would be any negative effects of a bay window set up

Jan 11, 2006
syep2001 wrote:

White Pheasant wrote:
Nice looking speakers. Don't know anything about them other than Hifi World's review summary (June '98):"The OLs have transparency and detail in considerable amounts. Bass can be loose though."

The cushions are merely to hide wires, but I was going to put up a thread about bay window positioning, they seem to sound ok where they are. Just wondered if there would be any negative effects of a bay window set up
Look like if they come forward a foot might help....be round about 5 ish but will bell you first.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
syep2001 wrote:

Just wondered if there would be any negative effects of a bay window set up
You'll likely get quite a lot of bass reinforcement - 2 close walls = 6dB bass bump - could be a bit boomy - if they are, then pull them out a bit at a time untilthey sound best.

If they sound good where they are - and the bass bump could help explain why you like the bass with those quite small drivers - then leave 'em where they are.

Nice looking speakers!

syep2001

Wammer
Wammer
May 5, 2006
Plymouth
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yea for some recordings they're extra bit of bass is useful, sounds great, but on the odd occasion with driving bass its noticeable boom...

Further out from the wall I think the soundstage detiorates lol, so I think i'll live with a bit extra bass!

Thanks for the comments, they're about 6 years old if anyone digs up a review!

Jan 11, 2006
Just had a listen and they sound very nice.

Top and mid very simalar to my neats but bass sounds a lot lower.

Could only see ol conqueror in my mags...these were 3 way.

E

earl of sodbury

Handsome lookers those
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

Looks like one of Focal's inverted titanium dome tweeters - same as used on some of Neat's designs:geek:

syep2001

Wammer
Wammer
May 5, 2006
Plymouth
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The inverted tweeter is definitely an unsual one, still don't know a lot about them! Other than they seem to drive easily from 15W, so would imagine they're quite sensitive!

T

twoblacklines

They sound better than my TDL's (i only went round last week) but im not sure if thats to do with placement (mine arent back the same distance, due to pc in way) or amplification or just plain speaker quality.

They keep up with the TDL's in bass and sound better at top end, infact only after listening to yours mine sound somewhat muddy at top end, even with tone defeat on...

But it was definetly an eye opener for valve power!

syep2001

Wammer
Wammer
May 5, 2006
Plymouth
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
woah there old post...

They would in right be better than yours john, the TDL's cost about £400!

T

twoblacklines

Cost doesnt mean much tho does it, you can build some IPL's with ribbons for >£700 that will sound nicer than £3k retail speakers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zlatan