Newbie Intros

Springroll

New Wammer
Nov 15, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Hi all, newbie to this forum though had few deals in Classifieds already. Great forum for sharing among HiFi and music enthusiasts.

Had been using QUAD and Sonus Faber Minima Amator for over 20 years. Could listen to their musical playback day and night without fatigue. after moving to UK 1.5 years ago, thought it's time to have a change. Had audited several components for upgrade then. And now settled down to Vitus RI-101 int amp, Marantz ND8006, and Audio Physic Virgo 25 speakers. Source is CAS with NAS for high-res audio files. Also have a Marantz SR7009 and surround speakers/subwoofer for movie. Enjoy the current set up quite much. : )

Recently bought a pair of Siltech 330l speaker cables from WAM member Simon. Am looking for used Siltech 550l/770l jumpers.

Hope can have more sharing here thereafter. Cheers.

RafaFed

Wammer
Feb 1, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi all - another Wigwam newbie getting back into hifi.

I have to admit I'm finding the options of starting a system from scratch overwhelming... All I know is the source will be purely streaming (likely Tidal) and the room is 6.86m x 5.15m (with high ceilings).

I'm not sure whether to go the active route or passive. Do I try a direct to consumer manufacturer or the standard retail brands? Budget is £5k max but happy to go cheaper.

Any advice very welcome. Maybe I should just try and home demo as much kit as possible...

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I have to admit I'm finding the options of starting a system from scratch overwhelming... All I know is the source will be purely streaming (likely Tidal) and the room is 6.86m x 5.15m (with high ceilings).

I'm not sure whether to go the active route or passive. Do I try a direct to consumer manufacturer or the standard retail brands? Budget is £5k max but happy to go cheaper.

Any advice very welcome. Maybe I should just try and home demo as much kit as possible...
AyUp! I don't think I can help you with streaming but Welcome anyway

Reactions: RafaFed

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Hi and welcome to the nuthouse.
As to where to go kit wise I would suggest starting a new thread along the lines of "starting afresh, what to do?" as your opening post above will get lost in the mix.
You'll get plenty of replies as we LUUURVE spending other people's money. 🤑😂
Don't forget to make use of the classifieds (here & other forums) for well loved used kit that will make your £5k go further.

Last edited:

Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
you could do worse than attend the Wam show in October - chance to hear a wide variety of gear

@RafaFed personally I'd still go basically down the route I wend down. Look for a 2nd hand (nowadays) ZENmini, this is a Roon core but their own interface launched last year is VERY good indeed and sounds good, HOWEVER doesn't unfold MQA. Manufacturer support they offer is first class.

A decent DAC, again check for Roon certification if you want MQA from Tidal.
Should leave ££ for some speakers and matching amp although starting from scratch active would be very temping.

Above your budget I know (but as we always do, like to overspend) KEF LS60 Wireless are mighty impressive for the money. Read up on them and try to hear them, find out which shows they will be at if no dealer near you.

If you wish to hear my system which is different and you can travel, my coffee machine is always on. I'm middle of the M62 and will also be at our show.
PM if interested.

Reactions: RafaFed

RafaFed

Wammer
Feb 1, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What a nice welcome 😀 thanks guys.

I was thinking about giving the Bristol hifi show a go although I know systems are heavily room dependent. I'm right down on the south coast so the Wigwam show is a fair old distance. @Maverick thank you very much for the kind offer to listen to your kit in any case.

The Kef LS60 Wireless are on my radar; it would just mean less money to spend on the tv which isn't the end of the world. The Kef's then led me on to the Buchardt A700 which also have very good reviews (and I think I prefer the look of over the Kef's). I believe Buchardt run a direct to consumer business model so may present better value than the Kef's too? I like the idea of an all in one system as it reduce the likelihood of box swapping in my future (I know for some that is where the fun lies...). Also the DSP/EQ part could be the way to go (haven't Meridian been doing this for years?) My concern is if one part fails and needing to return or worse, replace the entire piece of kit. I could see the streamer part being outdated in a few years time.

Anyway plenty for me to think about. I'm in the process of moving so until I'm in I won't be able to buy anything / demo anything in situ.

Thanks again!

Reactions: Maverick and Tony_J

Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If KEF are at Bristol you should defo go and listen.

The gear that is computer architecture based is more likely to be subject to regular updates. My ZENmini OS has had many updates.

You mention Meridian, I used to have multiple Meridian boxes but once Chris Coaster closed down his repair business after sales support options were very limited as the manufacturer doesn't seem interested - unlike, say. Quad.

DO try and get to the show, plenty of the south coast posse exhibit or visit. Good accommodation options nearby.

kind regards,
Paul

Reactions: Tony_J

Lurch

Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What a nice welcome 😀 thanks guys.

I was thinking about giving the Bristol hifi show a go although I know systems are heavily room dependent. I'm right down on the south coast so the Wigwam show is a fair old distance.
If your free next Sunday then I have one of my South Coast bake offs and you'd be more than welcome to come and meet some of the South Coast posse.
https://www.hifiwigwam.com/threads/...th-coast-bo-sunday-february-12th-po19.114940/
Just make a comment on the thread so I know to expect you and add you to list of newbies who need address details.

RafaFed

Wammer
Feb 1, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thank you @Lurch - very kind! I'm tied up most weekends but I will try and get to a show soon! In the meantime I will keep an eye on reviews and this forum 😀

The Great Soprendo

Wammer
Feb 14, 2023
Sunderland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Another newbie here. Have had a reasonable interest in hifi for years which ebbed and flowed according to finances and other priorities, having bought my first decent bit of kit in 1991 (Linn Basik/Akito) with my student grant cheque, coupled it with some old hand-me-down amp/speakers and then upgraded bits and bobs over the years (adding a cheap DAC and Google Chromecast Audio most recently, to bring things a little up to date). Otherwise still basically living in the 90s (like a fair bit of my musical taste...) with a beloved Arcam Delta 290/290P combo at the heart of things (treated the 290 to a full service recently...what a difference and now no noisy input selectors!) and the Linn TT still leading the line (with a couple of recent improvements too, thanks to Audio Origami).

After reading numerous threads on here I decided to take the plunge and join.

Lurch

Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi and welcome to the madhouse TGS, where abouts in the country are you?
Its worth filling out your profile with real name, location and kit. This makes it easier for peeps to offer assistance should you ask, also clear your diary for the show in October, its a brill day out with 30+ of us nutters dragging our kit from home to show off.

Reactions: The Great Soprendo

Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Welcome to the best, most social forum. We are UK based and as John rightly says the show is a MUST for any hifi nUt, Looking like a big one this year, hopefully 40 systems on show and the best craic known to man.

Also bakes off happen all over in between, get along and meet us, we don‘t bite. Mention bringing cake and you’ll be invited. Wammers like cake ;)

• Love
Reactions: Jules_S

The Great Soprendo

Wammer
Feb 14, 2023
Sunderland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Welcome to the best, most social forum. We are UK based and as John rightly says the show is a MUST for any hifi nUt, Looking like a big one this year, hopefully 40 systems on show and the best craic known to man.

Also bakes off happen all over in between, get along and meet us, we don‘t bite. Mention bringing cake and you’ll be invited. Wammers like cake ;)
Thanks for the warm welcome. Not sure I'm ready for all that cake but who knows!

Reactions: Tony_J

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Welcome.. going to bake-offs is a great way to get to listen to some lovely sounding systems , from low tech to high end ..and a great way to meet other fellow enthusiasts..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.