Wammer
Wammer
Sep 16, 2015
Glasgee Skottishland
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Firstly the reviews may have driven you to this listing - the speaker is mind blowing But I am selling as I have a pair of Harbeth 30.1 sitting around and they are working well in my small lounge.... Tannoy ardens displaced them in the main HiFi system. As the review mention they are less good with d class amps - I can comment on this as only used with 15W valve amp.... A wee Leben cs300xs. If you run a valve amp then don't be fooled by high impedence 15ohm and sensitivity as valve amps see this load differently. 

Read this explanation 
https://www.dhtrob.com/overige/tubefriendly_lsp_en.php

Big Blurb 

There is almost no point in discussing some parts of this loudspeaker. The BBC-designed LS3/5a is the stuff of legend, and in our little world as well-known, as ubiquitous, and as popular as the original Issigonis Mini. And, until recently, it was just as consigned to history as the original Mini. That’s all changed, and the Falcon Acoustics LS3/5a is a bold attempt to recreate the original design from scratch. 

The Falcon Acoustics Classic 15 ohm LS3/5a, fully Licenced by the BBC, and hand-assembled by Falcon in Oxford England. It is the only LS3/5a now in production that is recognised by top reviewers to faithfully replicate the original design published by the BBC in October 1976.

The result of nearly 2 years development, the Falcon LS3/5a is a true British-made classic 15 ohm LS3/5a. It continues the long tradition of the genuine British BBC-Licenced LS3/5a stretching back to the 1960’s. 

The drive units are the renowned Falcon B110, and the Falcon T27 tweeter, both designed by Malcolm Jones, the original designer of the KEF B110 and KEF T27 that were specified in the original 15 ohm LS3/5a version designed by the BBC. Both drive units are handmade in the UK to ensure the highest quality, grading and consistency, and are identical to the original LS3/5a drive units. They are unique to Falcon. 

The matched 15 ohm BBC Specification FL6/23 filter networks are made exclusively by Falcon in the original transformer-style to BBC Specification and contain inductors specially made in Britain for Falcon to the original specification. 

The cabinets are made from specially selected graded Baltic Ply, and use Beech fillets Cabinets. They are British made to BBC Specification, and are available in a variety of natural wood veneers (see below for pictures of current veneers) with a Tygan Cloth front grille. 

Falcon Acoustics LS3/5a’s are sold in matched pairs only

REVIEWS 
I've had the Falcon Acoustics LS3/5a's for several months and have powered them with every amp in the house. They played enjoyably well with all—with one exception. Class-D made these hyper-responsive, 15-ohm speakers sound dry, slightly hard, and more generalized than I like. Class-D amps awoke that napping bass bump and turned the slightly rising treble into a distraction. The LS3/5a has always been an exceptionally amp-friendly speaker, not because it makes mediocre amps sound good, but for quite the opposite reason: The LS3/5a excels at letting you hear exactly what your amp really sounds like. 
I doubt I'm qualified to fully answer that question—I haven't heard them all. But I do know that the Falcons make my old Rogerses sound a tad drowsy and fuzzy, like a cartridge with too many miles on it. (Perhaps I'm responding to a fresh tweeter with a slightly stronger response.) The Falcon is livelier and sings more clearly than any other LS3/5a I've heard. To my ears, this new, hypercrafted edition seems more "invisible," better toned, less "miserably" distorted or "peculiar" sounding, than any other moderately priced loudspeaker I've used in my home—ever. 

The Falcon LS3/5a has returned me to my roots, and served as a powerful reminder of the joys and beauties that a simple, accurate, easy-to-drive loudspeaker coupled to a charming low-powered amplifier can provide. 

Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/falcon-acoustics-ls35a-loudspeaker-page-2#1S1xGSxy2WlXQ4S7.99 

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/falcon-acoustics-ls35a-stand-mount-loudspeaker/ 

Falcon LS3/5a 15ohm (BBC Rodgers splendor King) loudspeaker speaker monitor. Condition is Used. Dispatched with Other 48h Courier. 

IMG_20190412_115646.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Millennium

Could you take a video of them playing say on your phone and upload it to youtube and link it? I am curious on these. I am not someone who blindly believes the BBC on this sort of thing myself (they use DT770s in their live lounge and my 990s are better; for example !! :))

Last edited:

eddie-baby

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 28, 2009
Pembrokehsire
AKA
Eddie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Could you take a video of them playing say on your phone and upload it to youtube and link it? I am curious on these. I am not someone who blindly believes the BBC on this sort of thing myself (they use DT770s in their live lounge and my 990s are better; for example :))
Not Falcons, but in theory, they should all sound the same!

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Gentlemen, please. The classifieds are not for discussion.

M

Millennium

Gentlemen, please. The classifieds are not for discussion.
I was not aware that a forum was not allowing discussion. I simply asked for a demo video as a potential buyer and an example was posted by a member who was not the seller.

Now that I know that the classified section does not allow discussion of actual purchase metrics I will do other things.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The classsifieds have never, ever allowed general discussion. I apologise if your question was based on an interest in purchasing, and I've opened it up again.

M

Millennium

The classsifieds have never, ever allowed general discussion. I apologise if your question was based on an interest in purchasing, and I've opened it up again.
appreciated Rabski. I can get an inkling of the speaker driver quality from a reasonable video upload, these days many mobile phones are capable of this. They are a stereo pair I would consider purchasing.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
appreciated Rabski. I can get an inkling of the speaker driver quality from a reasonable video upload, these days many mobile phones are capable of this. They are a stereo pair I would consider purchasing.
No problem. I was too quick!

Reactions: Millennium

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
At a recent show these were playing next to some big floorstanders.  The amount of folks who thought they were playing instead of the baby falcons was fascinating.  They have a very big sound 

Richdirector

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 16, 2015
Glasgee Skottishland
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not Falcons, but in theory, they should all sound the same!
The falcons do sound very different with valve amps(which like the higher impedence load) with class d I thought they sounded crappy... A class not bad but the leben 18w valve amp really made them sing. See the latest stereophile mag and they get recomended again - I would say if ss Ls50 as good or maybe even better but with lower wattage valve the falcons step up where ls50 step down

Just my opinion of course and I am the seller

eddie-baby

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 28, 2009
Pembrokehsire
AKA
Eddie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The falcons do sound very different with valve amps(which like the higher impedence load) with class d I thought they sounded crappy... A class not bad but the leben 18w valve amp really made them sing. See the latest stereophile mag and they get recomended again - I would say if ss Ls50 as good or maybe even better but with lower wattage valve the falcons step up where ls50 step down

Just my opinion of course and I am the seller
These are gorgeous speakers you are selling and not to distract from sale (possibly to add to it if anything) but the LS3/5A philosophy was a standardised design. Meaning every set that carries the LS3/5A tag should in theory all sound exactly the same. This model shouldn't sound any different to those kefs or to some early original designs from 40 years ago, that was the whole point of the LS3/5A. So the early sets you see for sale on eBay fetching £6000+ do not or should not sound any different from these, thats the whole point of the design. So those guys paying 6 grand should save themselves money any buy these. The inflated price of them is purely collector value, but apparently some think, some sound better, there may be subtle differences I'm sure but that wasnt the point of the LS3/5A, at the end of the day they all sound amazing! Which makes yours all the more of a bargain.

If you want the history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldq9VZ4VEw4

Id love a set and these are a very good price, just not really ready to invest at the moment.

Big bump there, and sorry back to the sale. Good luck

• Upvote
Reactions: greybeard

Richdirector

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 16, 2015
Glasgee Skottishland
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for bump - I was referring to 8ohm versions which to my ear sounded slightly different a lot more space around instruments and voices on 15ohm

I like them and have nearly talked myself into building a 3rd system. Like you I dont get the people paying 6k for old versions that are. 30yo

Oh well go figure this a crazy hobby

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles