Noise cancelling ear phones

clap

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 26, 2009
Wales
AKA
tristan
Any tips on these guys? My fiance wants a pair of these to watch movies on the plane. Not too expensive, richer sounds have some but looking for alternatives. A bargain would be good. Must be over ear rather than in-ear. Thanks.

gintonic

Noise, distortion & faff
Wammer Plus
Apr 25, 2012
no where
AKA
simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Don't know whether its in budget, but my Mrs uses a pair of Sennheiser PCX-250 mk 2, they are about £95. l have the mk1 version of the same model, and we both like them and the noise cancelling works well. They are great for travelling as the fold up for storage into a nice pouch that is supplied with the phones.

Valvebloke

Wammer
Dec 3, 2009
Didcot, Oxon
AKA
Graeme
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
These should work well for movies on a plane. But they do have some inherent limitations otherwise. It gets increasingly difficult to make the noise cancellation work as the frequency rises (that's just in the physics I'm afraid) so manufacturers roll the cancellation off above a certain frequency. The headphones typically work pretty well for the rumbling that planes and trains make. But they won't block higher-pitched noise e.g. other people's conversations. So if you're trying to get some sleep while your neighbours are talking then the effect of the headphones is to make their conversation more audible since the background rumble is now largely cancelled. I find human conversation particularly distracting. So if I need to get some sleep on a plane I wear the phones over some decent earplugs. The phones blank the engines out and the plugs deal with the neighbours.

VB

avinunca1

Wammer
Wammer
May 26, 2008
Shrewsbury, UK
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use a pair of Sennheiser HD218. They are comfortable and manage to reduce all external noise to a surprising extent. Good sound quality too. They aren't noise cancelling but do a fine job for the £20 odd I paid at Sainsbury's.

uncl_nigel

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 23, 2008
SE France
AKA
Nigel
Been using Sennheisers for a long time and they do make listening tomusic on theplane or TGV/Eurostar high speed trains a feasible Entertainment option.

Martha's dad

Now Milly's dad
Wammer
Jun 2, 2007
Overstrand
AKA
Papa du chien
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Get a pair of Goldring - often on bargain offer and work fine - have taken me all over europe

Eckythump

Numpty
Wammer
Oct 2, 2009
Lancashire Lad
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Agree on the Goldring. For the price, there is nothing better. Fold up into a smart looking hard case and good quality cable provided.

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have set of Audio Technica buds and they are very effective at cancellation as well as having a neutral tonality.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

nick dartmoor

Super Wammer Plus
Wammer
Sep 19, 2009
Devon, UK
AKG K495 NC. I heard the K490 NCs and they were absolutely superb, but on-ear, rather than over-ear. The 495s are the over-ear version, and I would imagine are even better. Not too expensive either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles