Non magnetic stylus scale recommendations

John (big)

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 3, 2012
West London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

No reaction or attraction at all from placing a magnet close.
Mine looks identical however it is unbranded actually touched the plate in several places with a neodymium magnet with no reaction.

The Hydraulic Reference makes getting the height correct interesting though having got it sorted, it has the benefit of placing the scale plate at record surface height a little more accurate I believe than sitting on the platter even without a mat. I found that a block of Magic Eraser (original no soap) was the exact height needed with my gauge sitting on it as shown, I use Magic Eraser as a stylus cleaner.
It's not dust I just chalked the belt.

gauge .jpg

Last edited:

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Mine looks identical however it is unbranded actually touched the plate in several places with a neodymium magnet with no reaction.

The Hydraulic Reference makes getting the height correct interesting though having got it sorted, it has the benefit of placing the scale plate at record surface height a little more accurate I believe than sitting on the platter even without a mat. I found that a block of Magic Eraser (original no soap) was the exact height needed with my gauge sitting on it, I use Magic Eraser as a stylus cleaner.
Yes, I do similar and measure next to the platter using a block that puts the scale tray at record height. This made a difference in reading compared to placing on the platter (puts scale tray about 5mm above record height) with my last tonearm. Difference seems minimal with my current tonearm though, so worth experimenting.

Reactions: John (big)

graham67

Wammer
Wammer
May 19, 2010
I have ordered an ortfon manual gauge for £7.50. I realised I can work out the position for 1.8g by calibrating using my Technics which includes weight markings.
I also realised my OC9 does affect both my digital scales only to a lesser extent. I had never noticed it before as it starts to affect the scale about 2mm before the stylus touches the plate.
Its pretty poor that so called stylus scales can be affected by magnetic force when weighing a cart containing magnets is its only reason for existence.....

Reactions: lazycat

lazycat

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 20, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Unfortunately the shure sfg2 manual scale which is probably the same as yours reacted very strongly too!
Perhaps you're right. I used an AT33EV for a few months. Used the digital scale and it didn't sound right.
Checked with the Shure and it was 0.4g too heavy.

Maybe I wrongly assumed that the Shure was non-magnetic, but I have read some are and some not.

There's a little experiment for another time.
Bloody hifi, there's no peace. 🤣

mac72

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 12, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
cartridge magnets in worst case scenario create a force of 0.4-0.5g as platform is very lightweight , increasing mass of the platform by additional weight of 1g say tiny bit of blue tak underside takes the problem away
IMG_2173.jpg IMG_2173.jpg
IMG_2174.jpg IMG_2174.jpg

• Upvote
Reactions: Lurch

graham67

Wammer
Wammer
May 19, 2010
cartridge magnets in worst case scenario create a force of 0.4-0.5g as platform is very lightweight , increasing mass of the platform by additional weight of 1g say tiny bit of blue tak underside takes the problem away
IMG_2173.jpg IMG_2173.jpg
IMG_2174.jpg IMG_2174.jpg
Thats a brilliant idea. I will try that. Thanks!

graham67

Wammer
Wammer
May 19, 2010
The ortodon manual gauge arrived today as well so should be able to work out a workable solution!

Reactions: lazycat

Disarmamant

Certified foo free
Wammer
Mar 30, 2013
Brackley, Northants
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is what I use. A standard digital scale with a small formed aluminium section stuck to the scale with double sided tape. The aluminium plate is bent downwards so that the it’s roughly the same height of the stylus when in contact with the record surface.

As the plate is aluminium the cartridge magnet is not attracted to the scales. I attached a thin piece of foam to the plate to protect the stylus.

The scales I use automatically applies the tare of the additional aluminium plate when turned on.

21C1A21E-C973-4FC9-86D2-4449FCB841F5.jpeg

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is what I use. A standard digital scale with a small formed aluminium section stuck to the scale with double sided tape. The aluminium plate is bent downwards so that the it’s roughly the same height of the stylus when in contact with the record surface.

As the plate is aluminium the cartridge magnet is not attracted to the scales. I attached a thin piece of foam to the plate to protect the stylus.

The scales I use automatically applies the tare of the additional aluminium plate when turned on.

21C1A21E-C973-4FC9-86D2-4449FCB841F5.jpeg
I like your signature

graham67

Wammer
Wammer
May 19, 2010
I used the manual Ortofon scales and although a bit fiddly it is more accurate than the magnetically affected electronic scales. I'll look to get a non magnetic scale in future as I wouldn't trust the calibrated scales to be accurate beyond +/- 0.05g.

popol_vuh

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 24, 2007
Croatia
AKA
Zvonimir
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I have a scale like this and it was also stated in product description that it's non magnetic. But it wasn't. With my latest cart (BM Wood SL), the reading went wild any time the cart was close to the pad. As someone has already said - up to 0,5g. It worked fine with BM Gold. Maybe Wood has stronger magnet or maybe it's the fact that it's exposed from below? But this scale didn't work for that cart.

Then I bought this scale and it works great:

https://www.ronis.hr/vaga-elektrons...gramofonske-igle-dynavox-tw-4/392504/product/
The reading stays 0.0 as the cartridge approaches the pad.