Wammer
May 17, 2013
Paisley
AKA
Allan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi again

I'm a true novice when it comes to hifi stuff - i know a little, but when i say 'a little', i truly mean the very basics. As far as i know a DAC converts digital signals into analog signasl which can be heard. I am guessing with a high quality dac this conversion process is done more efficiently and to a high standard - reproducing sound as producer intended? On other posts people have recommended an Arcam rDAC and i've stumbled over a possible good deal on a second hand one. here are my questions:

1. if Ihave seperate dac do I attach all sources to it and therefore bipass any internal dacs that equipment might have (for example, cd player, pc sound card etc)
  2. Do speakers get attached to a dac or are these still connected to amp

Sorry if these questions sound basic, but everyone needs to start somewhere.

mongeddavid

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 22, 2009
Herts, ,
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi there The DAC will sit between your digital source ( PC or CD Player/Transport , Sky Box Games Console ) anything with a digital output really and your amplifier. What you can have connected up at any one time will depend on the DAC and the type of connections it has. Most Common are Optical (toslink) and RCA Coaxial. USB connections for a PC are often found these days too. There are other connections but these are what most budget DACs will carry.

DACS also sound very different so its worth listening to a few if you can to see what you like. Some upsample the signal kind of like upsampling a Blu Ray Player will do when its reading a standard DVD and outputting to a High Def TV. Some do not Oversample these are called NOS DACs and are my favorite type as to my ears they sound very natural. You must decide for yourself. The Arcam R DAC is a solid if not inspiring bit of kit. Depending on your budget theres an awful lot out there. Also don't dismiss getting an older DAC as you may get a nice piece of higher end equipment if its a few years old.

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Cambridge DA 100 is also a good DAC and has caused one of the UK's reviewers go into auto over the sound quality. Martin Colloms at Hifi Critic.

alboy1975

Wammer
Wammer
May 17, 2013
Paisley
AKA
Allan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
cheers for info. I have not used the dcd 425 for years, it skips like buggery. I'd imagine surgical spirit and a cotton bud to clean the lens might sort this out. I hope you don't mind me asking yet another question, but i have a Denon tu260 mk II receiver(screen slightly faded) and a denon Drw 580 double tape deck - do you think there is any value in these pieces of equipment?

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Isopropyl alcohol is what's generally suggested for this, so I'd go with that. I'm giving it a go on a mates Arcam cd73T later this week so hopefully it'll do the trick. :nerves:

cheers for info. I have not used the dcd 425 for years, it skips like buggery. I'd imagine surgical spirit and a cotton bud to clean the lens might sort this out. I hope you don't mind me asking yet another question, but i have a Denon tu260 mk II receiver(screen slightly faded) and a denon Drw 580 double tape deck - do you think there is any value in these pieces of equipment?
A Denon DCD 425 was my 1st ever ceedee player & its not at all bad. IIRC it was 18 or 20 bit & had some sorta Denon proprietary processing, Lambda or summat.......Lol I'm likely wrong & some spark'll say its a bitstream player. :?

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
Bury St Edmunds, UK
AKA
Serge
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The tuner is one of the better ones, but tuners go for very little these days, even good ones. I would be surprised if you got more than £50 for it. As to the double tape deck, there's even less interest in these now, so essentially worthless. Nakamichi, Tascam, Revox and a few other cassette decks still have value, but the more 'ordinary' ones especially dual decks aren't anywhere nearly as sought for.

Welcome to the 'Wam, by the way.

S

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a Sony tuner and a (Aiwa?) cassette deck in the loft. Can't give them away!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles