Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2006
Baselland, CH
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
..just received from the Swiss distributor. He'll do me a special summer price, he says. As this is the mid-level line of cables, I didn't dare ask...

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Before listening, I should let the reader know that these cables were broken in on an audiodharma Cable Cooker for about 72 hours. (For more details on the Cable Cooker, a PFO Brutus Award and Writers' Choice Award Winner, visit Alan Kafton's site at http://www.audioexcellenceaz.com/.)
Next, I listened to the Grateful Dead's 1974 Mars Hotel LP. "Unbroken Chain" is rare studio performance that truly showcases the band at their musical best. The song contains excellent musical interplay and musical details such as gently accented chimes, contrasting electric and acoustic guitars, and ethereal vocals by Donna Jean Godchaux. This track is very familiar to me, yet the Frey cables revealed fine details that previously passed below the radar of my perception. The patterns of strumming and the distinct sound of a pick gliding across individual strings, along with layers of voices and percussion, were brought into focus from the periphery expanding my view of the music. More importantly, the musicians and instruments were coherently defined across a three-dimensional soundstage that exceeded the parameters of my listening space.
kaffeetrinker_2.gif.ba76878d555418d609a6f9e8389072ea.gif

Would you put $900 cables in the oven for three days?

tones

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2006
Baselland, CH
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
turnitup! wrote:

Would you put $900 cables in the oven for three days?
As one would say in Belfast, only a right eejit would do that.

But then, only a right eejit would buy the things in the first place.

All IMMHO naturally
biggrin.png

M

murray johnson

Several years ago I knew someone with some very expensive Siltech cables who regularly had to bake them in the oven. I'm not sure why. The better silver cables usually have each conducting strand covered in polyurethane so oxidation isn't normally an issue. I'm not sure the Siltech cables were coated though and that may have been why he had to keep doing it. Barmy.

TIU

Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Papa Lazarou wrote:

Nordost Frey?Don't bother mate - just ask Meninblack or George47 and they'll tell you why.

happens.gif.785a5c135e9ec27adf265d18872281b7.gif
:td:
happens.gif.785a5c135e9ec27adf265d18872281b7.gif
:td:
Papa, did you used to live in Melbourne?

TIU

Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Someone has your exact username on an Aussie forum and says they're from Melbourne. I just wondered that's all.
biggrin.png

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
tones wrote:

..just received from the Swiss distributor. He'll do me a special summer price, he says. As this is the mid-level line of cables, I didn't dare ask...
Tones, I think you should at least listen to these cables and then decide if you can live without them. I suspect a complete loom could be had for less than $5,000, a bargain at twice the price.
wink.png

However, you will feel a real cheapskate unless you buy the Valhallas, so firstly sell you system and buy a 1 metre length cable to er..... look at.

Meninblack was absolutely stunned by their performance. However, I thought his 50 bob cables did not quite have the air, the 3 dimensionality, the lower bass attack, the mid range naturalness, the mid mid-range harmonics, the upper mid range organic development quality, the top end sheen or the ultra high frequency spatial clues of a decent cable. It is shame that they used the lowest grade of 7Ns silver solder. For the sake of a measly £10,000 they missed out on achieving a pretty good mid range performance with low bass that encapsulates the right spatial....................................
tease.gif.a6e550ff9c07be38d7cbd4260be35dc9.gif

tones

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2006
Baselland, CH
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
George 47 wrote:

tones wrote:
Tones, I think you should at least listen to these cables and then decide if you can live without them. I suspect a complete loom could be had for less than $5,000, a bargain at twice the price.
wink.png

However, you will feel a real cheapskate unless you buy the Valhallas, so firstly sell you system and buy a 1 metre length cable to er..... look at.

Meninblack was absolutely stunned by their performance. However, I thought his 50 bob cables did not quite have the air, the 3 dimensionality, the lower bass attack, the mid range naturalness, the mid mid-range harmonics, the upper mid range organic development quality, the top end sheen or the ultra high frequency spatial clues of a decent cable. It is shame that they used the lowest grade of 7Ns silver solder. For the sake of a measly £10,000 they missed out on achieving a pretty good mid range performance with low bass that encapsulates the right spatial....................................
tease.gif.a6e550ff9c07be38d7cbd4260be35dc9.gif
George, I am a mean, deaf old Irish-Australian git, so your plea has fallen on mean, deaf ears, I'm afraid. Anyway, I've tried Nordost before, and I know I can quite happily live without them. Have a read and see the horrified reaction to the terrible heresy I dared promulgate http://forum.hifichoice.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=20773

I must surely be worthy of my own private auto-da-fé.

M

murray johnson

TIU

Papa Lazarou was an extremely funny character in the League of Gentlemen. Ran a freak show, stole peoples wives and had a 3 legged greyhound that wore a ruff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hczxynbvtr