Northwest analogue anyone used them

martinpix

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2014
YO12 5HX
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi has anyone on here used Northwest Analogue to get a cartridge refurbed?
could you compare the work against Expert stylus company?
What would your recommendations be ?
They charge roughly 2 x the price of ESC but say their stylus shape and tip
is a near perfect match for the factory fitted stylus but would be on a better cantilever.
ESC would have identical cantilever but a slightly different stylus shape as they only fit their Parotrace tip.
mine has a replicant 100 tip but is damaged well the cantilever is badly bent.
I don't want to send overseas for fixing, or any suggestions on another place to send it for a refurb?

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
My experience of NWA is positive but there was a period where I decided not to use them anymore: their prices rose significantly and they seemed to want to fit a ruby cantilever with FGS tip, as standard. ESC, on the other hand, seemed to be more of a bespoke service, recommending (for example) that they would want to do the least work possible to my AT Art-1, to preserve the integrity of the original design. I have used them since.

MVJ

I'm an Entheogenic Type Ozric Tentacles Shpongler
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
Guiseley, Leeds,
AKA
Steve,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I used NWA myself to do some work on a rather exotic cart I bought broken off a wammer which they took several months to do charged almost twice the original estimate and I was disapointed with the final result and sold it.

That was probably 15 years ago since then I've only dealt with ESC for my carts after buying a Benz Wood sl off them which has just been overhauled after 7 years use. I intend doing a review of the Wood eventually but just not used it enough yet due to personal circumstances to do that Maybe in a couple of months it will get it done.

martinpix

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2014
YO12 5HX
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks MVJ and OLDIUS. You have made my mind up for me I did get the impression from North west that they might want me to dig a little deeper into my pockets on their say so, and hold me to ransom over £80 given their lowest estimate was £620 plus postage plus vat I was thinking you get what you pay for or maybe you don't.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biggus Stackus

Latest Articles