Not another phono thread

RSand

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2012
Liverpool
AKA
Rob
Having read all the recent threads on phono stages I'm left with a few questions of my own and don't want to hijack anyone else's thread. so here goes...

Having just taken ownership of a Hashimoto HM3 SUT the obvious system bottleneck is the Trichord dino+. To be fair its sounding great, the SUT has brought a none too subtle improvement to the sound and I'm not in a rush to upgrade the phono but its the next thing on the list.

I now only need a MM stage and that opens a few previously closed doors, what do I really need to spend to do the Lyra/Hashimoto combination justice?

At this moment in time I could stretch to £500 (this includes the sale of the dino+) which puts me in the the market for a new croft or Haden Boardman 33.3 which I'm guessing will be a sizeable improvement on the dino? I don't like the idea of buying new and the associated financial hit when upgrading, I guess the croft is upgradeable and the 33.3 sounds hard to beat sub £1k?

What can I expect to get used for the £500 mark and how do they compare to the croft and HB 33.3?

Is £500 enough to really improve over the dino+ or will it just be a sideways step? Or should I wait and save up some more, what extra will spending £1k bring to the table? I'm open to valve or SS suggestions

System:

NAS AceSpace heavy

NAS AceAnnalog 10" arm

Lyra Dorian

Hashimoto HM3 SUT

Art Audio quintet integrated

Audio Physic Tempo 4's

G

I know Rick (bandit pilot) was really impressed with the Dino NCPS (never connected power supply on his i think?), maybe you should look valve!

I really like the EAR834P, it's got balls, but i'm aware it's not the most accurate, detailed thing around, the HB33.3 is getting good press, but i've never heard one...the Pure Sound P10 is good (i've heard one side by side the EAR) different to the EAR, sounding more 'solid state' and accurate.

Frizzy brizzy

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 3, 2013
New forest
AKA
Laurie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For £500 you might be able to find a art audio vinyl one, mm. A standard un modded one second hand might be in your budget. Lovely tube phono that can be upgraded, pop up now and then. Very musical phono stage, reacts well to tube rolling, not expensive to do.

diplomat2.6

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 11, 2012
Northants
AKA
Peter
I liked the Graham Slee Reflex C, but the Reflex M is for MM. You can have a 2 week home trial for free if you go to their forum, with no obligation or pressure to buy. They are £500

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I know Rick (bandit pilot) was really impressed with the Dino NCPS (never connected power supply on his i think?), maybe you should look valve!I really like the EAR834P, it's got balls, but i'm aware it's not the most accurate, detailed thing around, the HB33.3 is getting good press, but i've never heard one...the Pure Sound P10 is good (i've heard one side by side the EAR) different to the EAR, sounding more 'solid state' and accurate.
Never heard the Dino without the ncps, but I'm reliably informed that it transforms the Dino over the standard supply. Yes, I'm very happy with it.

Shouldn't mind hearing the EAR again Rob, for comparison etc :^

G

Never heard the Dino without the ncps, but I'm reliably informed that it transforms the Dino over the standard supply. Yes, I'm very happy with it.Shouldn't mind hearing the EAR again Rob, for comparison etc :^
I'll bring it up Rick, would be interesting:^

AGrail

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 15, 2009
Devon
I've had the Dino and the Diabolo. The Puresound P10 I found to be considerably better than any of the trichord range or the Whest 2 come to think of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.