Wammer
Oct 6, 2013
Dover - Kent
AKA
Ade
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello interested parties,

Following on from my thread about amplifiers up to £2k, I was wondering if any one in Kent has any of these amps? Vincent SP-T100 Monoblocks; Electrocompaniet ECi-5; Roksan Caspian M2; Creek Destiny 2; Accuphase E307; Bryston B100SST, that I could possibly take a listen to in your home? Hopefully I'm not being too forward in my request? :oops:

I understand this isn't too technical a test, but I'm hoping it will give me an idea of the house sound. FYI I'm house trained and fairly friendly... :^

I'm keeping it centred around Kent at present due to time constraints and travelling etc, if anyone can help a new budding wammer, i'd be eternally grateful...

Thanks in advance

Ade/Parcelmonkey

p.s I can only make late afternoons / early evenings weekdays & either day on the weekends if not too troublesome?

mmar

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 16, 2008
North east
AKA
mick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Some nice very different flavoured amps on your list , might I suggest you ask those happy for you to go along for a listen that you take your speakers

parcelmonkey

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2013
Dover - Kent
AKA
Ade
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Some nice very different flavoured amps on your list , might I suggest you ask those happy for you to go along for a listen that you take your speakers along
New speakers on the way - Neat Acoustic Momentum 4i's. Only problem is they will need running in so not sure it will give the right impressions? Can someone with speaker / amp experience suggest a good match from the above please?

Thanks, Ade/Parcelmonkey

gintonic

Noise, distortion & faff
Wammer Plus
Apr 25, 2012
no where
AKA
simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There is a dealer in Maidstone who sells the Roksan Caspian M2 amplifier (I used it a while ago to audition some speakers in his listening room) , don't know if they do home demo's but its always worth an ask

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
It's very good advice to take your speakers with you. It is more important to hear your speakers, with the amp. in your room; it's possible that you'll get completely the wrong idea by listening elsewhere.

Sir_Franc

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 10, 2005
East Sussex
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Ade, as Kent is a large county it may help to give a better idea of location in case there are any local wammers who may have an amp that's worth a listen.

parcelmonkey

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2013
Dover - Kent
AKA
Ade
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There is a dealer in Maidstone who sells the Roksan Caspian M2 amplifier (I used it a while ago to audition some speakers in his listening room) , don't know if they do home demo's but its always worth an ask
Thanks, there are two dealers in Maidstone, one is brilliant the other not! The brilliant one has loaned me several pieces so far, never any pressure to buy, just regular guys. I like Simon & Martin, fair people and I would feel guilty if another piece of their equipment came back without me buying it, yet I'd feel worse if I felt I had to buy it when I knew it wasn't the right piece. At this price point, most of the amps will be playing in a similar ball park and the differences I believe won't be night and day. One problem I might have, I could be running out of 'of course we have no problem with you borrowing another piece of equipment Ade' credits.... :doh:

Always a fall back option I suppose...

parcelmonkey

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2013
Dover - Kent
AKA
Ade
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's very good advice to take your speakers with you. It is more important to hear your speakers, with the amp. in your room; it's possible that you'll get completely the wrong idea by listening elsewhere.
Sensible advice, thanks. Hopefully any accommodating Wammers won't mind me moving in... :^

gintonic

Noise, distortion & faff
Wammer Plus
Apr 25, 2012
no where
AKA
simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks, there are two dealers in Maidstone, one is brilliant the other not! The brilliant one has loaned me several pieces so far, never any pressure to buy, just regular guys. I like Simon & Martin, fair people and I would feel guilty if another piece of their equipment came back without me buying it, yet I'd feel worse if I felt I had to buy it when I knew it wasn't the right piece. At this price point, most of the amps will be playing in a similar ball park and the differences I believe won't be night and day. One problem I might have, I could be running out of 'of course we have no problem with you borrowing another piece of equipment Ade' credits.... :doh: Always a fall back option I suppose...
Yep it was Simon and Martin I was thinking of, great dealer. I fully understand your point of view as well.

parcelmonkey

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2013
Dover - Kent
AKA
Ade
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ade, as Kent is a large county it may help to give a better idea of location in case there are any local wammers who may have an amp that's worth a listen.
In Dover, I'm in the bit between castle, green fields and sea... sort of close to the East European contingent :zip:

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In Dover, I'm in the bit between castle, green fields and sea... sort of close to the East European contingent :zip:
East Cliff then.

My gran's was number 3 when she was among us.

mmar

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 16, 2008
North east
AKA
mick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks, there are two dealers in Maidstone, one is brilliant the other not! The brilliant one has loaned me several pieces so far, never any pressure to buy, just regular guys. I like Simon & Martin, fair people and I would feel guilty if another piece of their equipment came back without me buying it, yet I'd feel worse if I felt I had to buy it when I knew it wasn't the right piece. At this price point, most of the amps will be playing in a similar ball park and the differences I believe won't be night and day. One problem I might have, I could be running out of 'of course we have no problem with you borrowing another piece of equipment Ade' credits.... :doh: Always a fall back option I suppose...[/quote

Be carefull I've owned the Vincent monos and Bryson though not the particular Bryson model listed and believe me they are very different sounding amps both in terms of tonality and the way they present music

parcelmonkey

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2013
Dover - Kent
AKA
Ade
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
East Cliff then.My gran's was number 3 when she was among us.
:D not even warm... The internet is a dangerous and hazardous beast for those that fail to tread carefully... therefore I can't divulge too much info coz there might be ne'er do well's lurking...

parcelmonkey

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2013
Dover - Kent
AKA
Ade
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Be carefull I've owned the Vincent monos and Bryson though not the particular Bryson model listed and believe me they are very different sounding amps both in terms of tonality and the way they present music
That's what I was hoping, I need to see which I prefer. Can you elaborate on each house sound please? I presume the Bryston was more forward in its presentation?

Thanks, Ade/Parcelmonkey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles