Jun 28, 2013
Stockton On Tees
AKA
Micky
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
1 hour ago, Hap Hazzard said:

Thanks Tim.  :^

Now the part I always do, ask about albums, I'm getting old and can't remember them all.

Micky had 2 nice albums I liked, one was Micheal Mc Donald's  (new one - 2017) called "Wide Open" but I can't remember the other, I looked at it with Dean a red covered gatefold album. It was one that you had just bought Micky, The plastic was still on it.

You said that you just heard it playing in the record shop and thought I'll have that.

Des !

It was The Hempolics...Kiss Cuddle and makeup Vol 1..sorry I couldn't ger rid of the PSB video

Last edited by a moderator:

Hap Hazzard

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 26, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hempolics, that's  the one Micky, thanks for getting back to me on this.  :^  I'll have to seek that one out. By the way , I don't think I said to you but your new turntable not only looks sublime it also sounds sublime, it is a very special piece of kit. (Mark did a beautiful job on the plinth)

I hope you have got over me making you jump when you put your hand in that bag that Kate had, sorry but I couldn't resist it.  xD

• Haha
Reactions: Spider

rmsshipbroker

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 4, 2012
Yorkshire
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Steve had an electronic cd playing in Tims main system. A cardboard cd cover with I think a robots head on it ?
It was From Deewee by Soulwax. :^

soulwax-new-album-from-deewee.jpg

G

I had a great day out, really enjoyed it 😊.

My Rega Planar 3/Glass platter/3mm Akromat/Exact + Rega Fono Mk2 sounded much better than I had expected it to. I hadn't really had chance to mess with mats and VTA before bringing it along so i'm sure a bit more could be had out of it.

Tims new speakers sounded terrific on electronica (quick/dynamics), but sound much different to a conventional modern commercial speaker, but you do get used to them after a while. I must say the work that Des has put in to them is obvious, they looked great!

Pauls speakers were alot smaller than I remember or was expecting! Very cute and beautifully made, I can see and understand there allure. They managed to sound open and very quick with deep bass for one so small, at times they threw the images well back behind the plane of the speakers. They were revealing and demanding of whatever was up stream!

Mickys new Garrard was beautiful, Mark has done a stonking job on it (I still love the green topped twisted one though  ;-)  ), it sounded lovely and stable, sonerous, warm and clear like good good vinyl should.

Jacks loft system was great, Q acoustics standmounts (30quid) Arcam Alpha 5+ amp, Graham Slee elevator, and Techy with an Ortofon MC15 MK11 Super in it, plus Pauls Rel Quake.

It sounded open, dynamic, and with great stereo imaging. I really enjoyed it, nice one :).

I didn't spend much time in the little back room, so didn't hear all the different DACs etc.

But, I liked Daves (occasional thinkers) Revox 3 way speakers (10" front slot loaded bass, 4" mid,1" metal dome) and VERY solid enclosures. They reminded me of my Dads old JBL's, and had a similar sound, good stereo, solid 'thwak' at the bottom end and nice open mid. Well balanced.

I tried the Dolby S Metal cassette thing on Pauls new speakers. Some were more forth coming with opinions than others, some only gave opinion when asked (Better or worse? Which do you prefer?) interesting results and were quite surprised when I told them what they had been listening too, hehehehehehehehe...... no one will ever listem to Tracy Chapman again LOL.

Food and banter was top notch 😊.

Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
good review Rob, especially since you spent 90% of the time in the kitchen :)  

sorry I missed the cassette demo 

my speakers need more space - worth listening in Elite's room at Scalford I'd say unless Danny is kind to us on room selection  :whistle:

occasional thinker

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 11, 2009
Steel City
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
my speakers need more space
One of the problems with side-firing woofers I think, especially in a narrow room. My main system has separate boxes for mid-plus-tweeter and bass. Aesthetically they look better with the (12") woofers firing sideways, presenting a narrow aspect face on, but sonically they are much better with all drivers facing forward.

Those Boenicke speakers are a revelation for their size though, a very modern sound (fast, tight) with great bass extension. Wish I'd spent more time in that room.

Maverick

Staff member
Jun 24, 2013
Huddersfield,W.Yorks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just need space, we will be running at Scalford but for real space get into Elite’s room and theirs will be a biggie

Hap Hazzard

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 26, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Steve you ruined my good reputation when you played this to me in your Scalford room a few years ago, and I had to go and buy it. I also have to blame Ian as well he has also ruined my reputation quite a few times xD .

51dREecwvnL.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online