Olias of Sunhillow

Ozexpat

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2009
the brewhouse
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Original first Australian pressing (pre-ordered) is what a generous reviewer would call "rich". I call it muffled. Plenty of detail but the complex mix sounds like Phil Spector on an off day.

I have no experience of more recent releases.

rockabillybass

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 2, 2008
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have the original UK Vinyl release from the 70s. I've never been impressed by the production. The album certainly has a strange sound. Distant, almost like he was too far away from the microphones (if that makes sense :D )

I think a full remix is called for, preferably by Steven Wilson.

khapahk

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 27, 2008
Linslade, Beds
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have the original UK Vinyl release from the 70s. I've never been impressed by the production. The album certainly has a strange sound. Distant, almost like he was too far away from the microphones (if that makes sense :D )I think a full remix is called for, preferably by Steven Wilson.
I'd agree about the sound, almost like the mics were in the next room to Jon ! My copy is an original 70s, bought on release.

Letting Steven Wilson loose on it could be quite interesting, the Golden Boy of early 21st century Prog with one of the Golden Boys of 20th century Prog !

K

Ozexpat

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2009
the brewhouse
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It does have a peculiar sound I'd agree.....but its an album a absolutely love. Hippy Dippy nonsense.
I too, love the album. But it's best served with a serious bowl of Cosmic Muesli, that's for sure.

Ozexpat

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2009
the brewhouse
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looking forward to the sequel he's working on.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
To be accurate, he followed this up Song Of Seven which had some loose connections with Olias before going off on a tangent with Vangelis :geek:

DaveofBradford

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2009
Bradford, , United K
AKA
Dave
I purchased it in the 70's and yes while it doesn't sound too good. It was ok on my Trio KD2055 turntable and a cheapie sure cartridge. But as my tables got more expensive along with more expensive cart's the recording can't hide no more. But hey I love the musical content. I did listen to a newer version but to my ears still the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles