Wammer
Wammer
Jan 6, 2008
Ourhouse
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As some may remember (it isn't that long ago), I have had a resurgence in 35mm film photography. My old OM2n has been dusted down, new batteries and light seals fitted and raring to go. Due to the almost giveaway prices of secondhand lenses and flashguns I've been having a ball - spend, spend, spend.

The build quality of everything is absolutely superb with one exception ------- the bloody hot shoe. What a load of tripe, I've had two in the past 30 years of ownership and both decided to disintegrate with use, fatigue fractures and the plastic just simply falling apart. How could Olympus allow such a small accessory ruin such a lovely piece of equipment ?

I am now looking for a replacement type 4 hot shoe, everyone I see has stress fractures and without one, fill in flash is a none starter outdoors, unless I want to carry the enormous bounce grip around with me, I am really p ***** off.

At the same time its lovely having to think once again when taking the shots instead of point and shoot. Trying to remember Ansel Adams zone system - I generally had good results with that.

( anyone got a type 4 hot shoe in their knicker leg doing nothing ? ).

johnny s

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 6, 2008
Ourhouse
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Unfortunately it is specific. The OM2n controls the output of the dedicated flash from the amount of light read at the film plane. Physically I haven't seen another fitting like it, as it sits within the inverted 'v' shape of the prism housing, held by a thumbwheel screw and two 'pronged' contacts that slot within the camera body.

I griped all those years ago about the quality or lack of it in this component.

If you look on ePrey at the om type 4 hotshoe , they all show stress fractures due to either enthusiastic tightening of the thumbwheel or the movement of the flash being inserted and removed from it.

I can but only keep looking for one. Fortunately I have a ttl connector, but to support the flashgun would have to use a bounce grip - not exactly a put it in your pocket piece of equipment. :(

Worse things happen at sea, I'll keep looking.

johnny s

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 6, 2008
Ourhouse
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'll keep a look out for you John.
:D Much appreciated. I have found one or two on ePrey but at around £25.00 each they seem a bit steep. Having said that, it may be the only way to go. :(

johnny s

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 6, 2008
Ourhouse
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Use the PC socket and hand hold the flash. You might even get better pictures.
I only ever use on camera flash for ' fill in ' as it gives a nice three dimensional effect to the subject, or when the subject is backlit and only in daylight. So on camera flash is convenient and easy and because of its proximity to the lens adds nice highlights to the subjects eyes. I dislike flash in general but when it can only be used, off camera, to the side and higher than the lens does the trick, also I tend to use a second flash a couple of metres away to add a bit of modelling and reduce shadow. I wouldn't trust hand steadiness on the camera if holding the flash (flash sync on the OM2 is 1/30th or 1/60th ) at my age even going for a pee has its advantages with an unsteady hand. :)

johnny s

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 6, 2008
Ourhouse
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Result !!!!!!!!!!!

Ordered/won in an auction some flash equipment, there was a type 4 hot shoe in with the bundle, a little cracked but perfectly functional needs a little modification to stop the crack going further.

Oh happy days.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pops