Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
......for some more speakers to play with ;-)

I currently have some 'stock' of Tannoy Stirling HE, Rega R9, Keesonic Kolt and 701a.

While I'm in this transition period, has anyone got any recommendations of speakers, say below £1k (ideally a bit less) that would combine the excellent dynamics and imaging of the Tannoy Stirling and KEF 104/2 but with the easy room integration and overall balance/smoothness of the R9s?

The only other speaker that I've had in this room that worked so well were the chunky ATC SCM10s but its the lack of dynamics, other than that their overall balance was actually pretty similar to the R9s, but without the deepest bass.

I have tried a couple of panels in my room, Magnepan MMG and Quad 57s briefly and really liked what they did but I don't really have the room to do them justice, also the MMGs had awful dispersion so sounded pants off centre.

Must be on the easier to drive side, with a selection of amps (Bryston B60, Sony TA-F3000ES and Decware Zen) and room integration is a priority.

Not that interested in DSP processing if I can help it.

I still think the R9s are best overall, in my room. Both the Tannoys and the 104/2s I have had loads of issues with getting them to work perfectly, lots of moving around.

The R9s are my backup, they wont be going anywhere long term (out on loan right now) but the big Tannoy's will likely be moved on (Kolts in the office and 701s in the spare room).

Thoughts
The obvious ones I guess will be recommended will be Snells, although the only ones I have heard, that I have liked are the original C's (IIRC) but they would be too big for my room.
Others I have been pointed towards are the Heco's although all look too large for my room, and rear ported
The Mullidine Bagatelle from Jack which are tempting.
I have had loan of some Harbeth P3ES from Frank, and liked what they did but they missed out on the dynamics side, other than that they were pretty spot on.
Klipsch Heresey - Nope.
Diy route - Full range drivers or 1" CD horns/8"-12" Mid-Bass I may well look at again but in the future.
Anything from Mini-monitors to big floor standers (within reason) are welcome as long as they meet the criteria. :D

If I can not improve on the R9s then I will stop searching and just spend more on music, so far they have been the perfect match for my room. :)

This is the room, although bit more space for the speakers as the Ikea cabinets have been turned 90degrees

System by RSdesignUK, on Flickr

Cambs12

Apr 11, 2010
Cambridgeshire
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Mullidine's at Scalford really impressed me.For a small box,there was a far bigger sound coming from them.Worth a dem i reckon.The small Avalon's at Whittlebury two years ago were also great at creating the impression of a far larger box.On the used market,i have seen some of the smaller floor standers from the early nineties in budget recently.Both dynamic,and both sounded really impressive in less than perfect room conditions.

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Rob the IPL speakers from one of our new Wam dealers look really interesting and around budget http://www.iqspeakers.co.uk/
...... Not far away in cheltenham...... worth a listen.....those .ipl speeks.
i have heard a pair of the smaller ones (older 5" model) and they were ok but nothing special IMO

- - - Updated - - -

The Mullidine's at Scalford really impressed me.For a small box,there was a far bigger sound coming from them.Worth a dem i reckon.The small Avalon's at Whittlebury two years ago were also great at creating the impression of a far larger box.On the used market,i have seen some of the smaller floor standers from the early nineties in budget recently.Both dynamic,and both sounded really impressive in less than perfect room conditions.
Jack has offered a home demo on the ex-demo ones, when i'm up that way i may well take him up on it.

- - - Updated - - -

thanks Colin, i shall read up on the Revolvers, i remember everyone was raving about them here ages ago.

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
Diapasons Rob, easy to drive and work well with the 3000ES .... (you got one nice one!)

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Diapasons Rob, easy to drive and work well with the 3000ES .... (you got one nice one!)
Interesting, i shall research the Diapason speaker :) really impressed with the 3000es, gave the phonostage a whirl this evening and its certainly not a huge difference between it and the Dino.

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
Only thing I found that improved it was an ancient Moth 30 stage, certainly not the Naim Stageline MM at £300! Sony ES have some really nice phono stages into their integrateds Rob.

(Would be great to see a shot of the DVP-S9000ES + TA-F30000ES in glorious champagne!)

Radioham

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 8, 2010
Peterborough.
AKA
Alan Ralph
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have tried quite a few of the speakers you have and this weekend I bought the Focal 926, unfortunatly about twice your budget, however there is an eBay dealer selling refurbished B grade stock on eBay at just over the £1K. I think the sound is very pleasant , and I am having great fun listening to CD collection , even the disks which contain historical music from the 40/50/60/70s. I guess they are very close to the Rega RS7 I used to own, but with a little less Bass boom (in my room) which is very much like your photo and better treble including off axis listening. I have never liked the demo of Focals at shows but in the home they sound very good. Among the speakers I tried at the weekend were Martin Logans, Dynaudio and Spendor.THe focal certanly offer a lot of speaker for the Money, they have a cast metal base, very heavy about 50lb each, and a glass top which helps protect the piano finish gloss black.There are two ports, one is down firing though the base and the other is front facing.

They are very close to the wall , have a TV in the middle and cabinets eitherside.

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I have tried quite a few of the speakers you have and this weekend I bought the Focal 926, unfortunatly about twice your budget, however there is an eBay dealer selling refurbished B grade stock on eBay at just over the £1K. I think the sound is very pleasant , and I am having great fun listening to CD collection , even the disks which contain historical music from the 40/50/60/70s. I guess they are very close to the Rega RS7 I used to own, but with a little less Bass boom (in my room) which is very much like your photo and better treble including off axis listening. I have never liked the demo of Focals at shows but in the home they sound very good. Among the speakers I tried at the weekend were Martin Logans, Dynaudio and Spendor.THe focal certanly offer a lot of speaker for the Money, they have a cast metal base, very heavy about 50lb each, and a glass top which helps protect the piano finish gloss black.There are two ports, one is down firing though the base and the other is front facing.They are very close to the wall , have a TV in the middle and cabinets eitherside.
I probably should hear some focals, its been a while but the last ones I heard with that inverted dome (including the Neat Motive range) I just did not get on with them.

enbee23

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 22, 2005
North of Scotland,
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
......for some more speakers to play with ;-)

Thoughts
The obvious ones I guess will be recommended will be Snells, although the only ones I have heard, that I have liked are the original C's (IIRC) but they would be
too big for my room
Shame that, I have a minty pair of Snell Cs that are surplus to requirements.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles