One set of outputs, no tape loop how do you...

A

Alex A

I suppose you don't. If it's a preamp you could split the variable outs, but it may get ugly sound wise. Or if your power amp is designed to daisy chain with another (a la MF). If it's integrated, meh.

Ant

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
Hythe, Kent
AKA
Antony
the two options i came up with were swtich box or 1 into 2 splitter. I could make both quite easily but I hate swtiches with a passion.

I'm sure I remember reading that the Graham Slee could route through by using the seond input as an output but that didn't seem to work.

mosfet

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Richard
Connect up a headphone amp?
Don’t. Put a resistive divider on the loudspeaker outputs. Dedicated headphone amps are a waste of money if you already have a good amplifier.

A

Alex A

Where can i find a resistive divider? In fact, what is a resistive divider? I use my X-A2 speaker outs at the moment, and it's obviously rather too powerful. Gives a quiet hum on quieter sections of music.

mosfet

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Richard
If you’re happy with the sound quality of your amp driving your loudspeakers then a resistive (or potential) divider will allow you to enjoy the same sound quality via headphones by reducing the amount of voltage swing to a level that doesn’t fry the cans. In effect you’re using the same amplifier circuits, same PSU etc. This is how the headphone out socket on most amplifiers is done, CD players and other source kit use a separate op-amp.

http://sound.westhost.com/project100.htm

A

Alex A

Thanks Mosfet, I'll have a read of that when I have some time and may have a bash. Will I actually have to open up my amp and do some surgery, or is it a post output device?

I presume these things aren't available as a commercial product?

A

Alex A

I don't think my amp is bridged either..
unsure.png

Ant

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
Hythe, Kent
AKA
Antony
My brain isn't switched on just yet but I think the output valves would be unhappy with the situation.

This is the story, my dad has the headphone amp and is currently using it with his CDP which has 2 sets of outputs, he wants to upgrade to something with one set of outputs.

His amplifier is an integrated single ended design.

Hawk

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Herts, United Kingdo
Some headamps do have and input and an output so you can daisychain. My Stax definitely does and I thought the the slee solo did too. My solo is out on loan so I cant check for sure... but if it doesnt maybe you can open it up and sort something out?

Uncle Ants

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2005
East Midlands, Unite
AKA
Tony
Hawk wrote:

Some headamps do have and input and an output so you can daisychain. My Stax definitely does and I thought the the slee solo did too. My solo is out on loan so I cant check for sure... but if it doesnt maybe you can open it up and sort something out?
The currentSolo doesn't for sure, it has two switchable inputs. The Pro-Ject models doas do the Heed, Lehman and Creek models others too no doubt- its more common than not

Uncle Ants

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2005
East Midlands, Unite
AKA
Tony
Actually one further thought on this depending on what the sources are and how many. The Pro-Ject Headbox SE has 3 inputs and input switch and a pass through. So if you plugged your sources into it (up to three at line level) and the output to one of the line inputs on your amp it'd do the job, though of course putting your sources through the Headbox may not be what you want to do in an ideal world (adding an extra switch to the signal path and all) ... it would work.

I did actually use one this way once when I was experimenting with a single input passive pre (but neede more inputs and it didn't seem to do too bad a job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles