Linn Owners

Opportunity: Akudorik Exakt Katalyst offered and now?

Mischa

Wammer
Jan 4, 2022
Essen, Germany
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello Linn friends,

in my search for a good pair of Akurate 242 MKII I have now been offered a pair of Akudorik Exakt. After studying some requested pictures, it is already the Katalyst variant (Katalyst is noted on the stands). The speakers were offered to me for 4000,-€ incl. shipping (speakers are in Madeira, I am in Germany). Is this too good to be true?

I now have 2 questions and would appreciate your comments, recommendations, hints, objections, ... ...

1. What do you think of the Akudorik? Unfortunately I have never been able to listen to them. I love the clear, fine resolving and "deep looking" style of Linn. Does that also fit with the Akudorik? What distinguishes the Akudorik? Especially here also directly in the Exakt version. My goal with the 242 was the slow ascent to complete activation with further power amplifiers and possibly at some point the final upgrade to the Exakt system.

2. The seller offers me, after consultation, the possibility of escrow shipping. I pay the service provider and only after receipt and inspection of the delivery is the money released to the seller. The seller offered the following service: https://transbarracao-transportes.eu/.
Do any of you have experience of any kind with this kind of transaction or have you heard of this service?

Thank you for your support.
Mischa

Last edited:

Coalboy68

Life in the fast Linn
Wammer
Dec 30, 2020
NE England
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have kat exakt akudoriks as surround speakers and they are great speakers, and certainly if you were looking to go active the exakt link is brilliant and the styling is right up there, but can’t comment as main speakers. Price wise I would be extremely cautious as 4K euro is extremely cheap for these speakers with kat.

It maybe genuine but I would be looking for more protection on paying out my money.

Reactions: Piercro and Mischa

heimo

Naimless
Wammer
Sep 14, 2020
Vienna, Austria EU
AKA
Heimo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Idea, how this could be managed?
Book a flight, pick them up and ship them yourself. Everything else I would consider extremely risky, unless the seller is a reputable, brick and mortar dealer and/or you know someone over there who can oversee the transaction on your behalf.
But then, Madeira is beautiful, so the trip will be worth your while!

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Book a flight, pick them up and ship them yourself. Everything else I would consider extremely risky, unless the seller is a reputable, brick and mortar dealer and/or you know someone over there who can oversee the transaction on your behalf.
But then, Madeira is beautiful, so the trip will be worth your while!
I once uncovered a scam. Someone was selling a pair of Klimax 350s in Montreal. I suggested flying out there to hear them and if all was right, seal the deal. I was met with insistance to ship.

Mischa

Wammer
Jan 4, 2022
Essen, Germany
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's exactly how it is. I have 3-4 cases like that right now! It's just no fun any more. Items are offered in France that are suddenly in Valencia, or from Turkey in Funchal on Madeira, or from the Czech Republic suddenly in Hungary, just to make the distance for a personal collection greater and less interesting.

Reactions: akamatsu

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
More on the uncovered scam. What tipped me off was the presence of European electrical outlets in the photos of speakers in a house that was claimed to be in Montreal. I then found the same photos in an advert in Belgium. It gets even better. Someone replied publicly to the advert asking for photos, lots of photos please. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: MickC and Mischa

dikki

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2019
Amsterdam
www.dikki.nl
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's exactly how it is. I have 3-4 cases like that right now! It's just no fun any more. Items are offered in France that are suddenly in Valencia, or from Turkey in Funchal on Madeira, or from the Czech Republic suddenly in Hungary, just to make the distance for a personal collection greater and less interesting.
There's your answer I believe.
I think I would try to ship them myself as well. Though I have bad experience with doing that lately (trying to move a giant musical instrument by plane) it still is the safest way. If nothing else, you. can enjoy a nice trip.

Reactions: Mischa

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
A lot of good advice here on how to mitigate your risk. I would agree that, even with a pending economic meltdown, is too low. I would pay $4000 for a passive pair without (passive) stands. Beware.

CaptenBonScott

CaptenBonScott
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
Sweden, Luleå
AKA
Magnus Blom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You have a nice pair on Blocket.se, Katalyst with ADSM in Silver and Speakers in Walnut. 135000:- SK, 12396:- in Euro, OR 12205 Dollar :)

Reactions: Mischa

Rudi64

Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
I sold my Doriks with stands for 3200 dollar :) But it was 2 years ago . Have Harbets 30.2XD now, just to rub it in ;) I will keep an eye on the Swedish market for you.
Yeah sure, but if i remenber well that was the passive version you sold ;) Here the Exakt doriks are second hand for sale for about 15000€.

Reactions: CaptenBonScott

CaptenBonScott

CaptenBonScott
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
Sweden, Luleå
AKA
Magnus Blom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yeah sure, but if i remenber well that was the passive version you sold ;) Here the Exakt doriks are second hand for sale for about 15000€.
If you go to blocket.se you will find a bargin on Exakt Doriks with Katalyst and a Adsm included .

Mischa

Wammer
Jan 4, 2022
Essen, Germany
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just a brief summary of how it all ended. Of course, all efforts, no matter which country of the offers, to collect the goods personally were doomed to failure. I had a lot of fun with it, but eventually they didn't answer any more.
To cut a long story short, I have now purchased a passive Akubarik in Austria instead of the 242 I was actually looking for. I'm going to pick up the good pieces on Friday and I'm already looking forward to it like a snow king (I don't know if this expression makes sense in English! :)).

heimo

Naimless
Wammer
Sep 14, 2020
Vienna, Austria EU
AKA
Heimo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just a brief summary of how it all ended. Of course, all efforts, no matter which country of the offers, to collect the goods personally were doomed to failure. I had a lot of fun with it, but eventually they didn't answer any more.
To cut a long story short, I have now purchased a passive Akubarik in Austria instead of the 242 I was actually looking for. I'm going to pick up the good pieces on Friday and I'm already looking forward to it like a snow king (I don't know if this expression makes sense in English! :)).

Is it the pair in Walnut finish? I had considered that one as well, but then I haven't even properly set up the 242 I bought a month ago. If it is that particular pair then I bought from the seller before and I suspect you are going to like it. Congrats!

• Love
Reactions: akamatsu and Mischa

Mischa

Wammer
Jan 4, 2022
Essen, Germany
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, it's the walnut finish. He sold a pair a few weeks ago. I was already in contact with him at the time, but was too indecisive, also because of the price. I was still looking for the 242 (walnut, white or black), which would probably have been cheaper, but are no longer often offered in the MKII version. So the offer passed me by.
But he sells a lot of Linn stuff, so I was in contact with him often.
He then offered me the second pair in advance and after a lot of bad sleep and deliberation, almost being too late again, he had posted the pair in the morning and also already got an offer, I did get back to him at the right time and he then did the deal with me. Lucky!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles