Linn Owners

Organik and Exakt Surround don’t mix

Newton John

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Learned something new today from tha Linn Owners Facebook page. I don’t remember seeing it here.

If I upgrade my main stereo speakers to Organik, I’ll no longer be able to use 520s as surrounds.

Basically, you can’t mix Organik with Katalyst or ordinary Exakt. It’s due to timing differences.

That’s a surprise.

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Wow, that is a potential problem for me.

It seems unlikely I would be able to upgrade to Organik for my surround system

That means I would have to wait until Linn came out with Organik upgrades for my Akubariks, Akurate Exaktbox I and Exaktbox 6, and do all the upgrades simultaneously.

Linn has mentioned they now have a potential solution to providing an upgrade to Organik for Akubariks, but there is no indication at this point that Organik upgrades would be available for my Akurate level Exaktboxes

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Learned something new today from tha Linn Owners Facebook page. I don’t remember seeing it here.

If I upgrade my main stereo speakers to Organik, I’ll no longer be able to use 520s as surrounds.

Basically, you can’t mix Organik with Katalyst or ordinary Exakt. It’s due to timing differences.

That’s a surprise.
Was that a statement from Linn, John?
’troll

• Upvote
Reactions: akamatsu

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not good news as I would trust Gordon on this one. I just can't figure out why not. I mean, wouldn't it be a software change?
I don’t have access to the FB site that John mentioned, so would like some context.

• Upvote
Reactions: akamatsu

Newton John

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So, effectively, yes, an official statement.

What was it in relation to? Was it Selekt cartridges?

I don’t have access to the FB site that John mentioned, so would like some context.

A Linn owner called Jake Thiessen posted this:

“Sad moment while I was doing the setup of surround after I had to reset the Selekt after their last update misfire. the new Organik DAC for some reason cannot be mixed in a single selekt DSM. Meaning as I have now Katalyst DACs on my front stereo pair and standard DACs on the Surround, centre, and sub... You can not do this with Organik, all 3 must be Organik. I hope this is temporary and will be addressed in the future”

Gordon Inch answered him as my previous post.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A Linn owner called Jake Thiessen posted this:

“Sad moment while I was doing the setup of surround after I had to reset the Selekt after their last update misfire. the new Organik DAC for some reason cannot be mixed in a single selekt DSM. Meaning as I have now Katalyst DACs on my front stereo pair and standard DACs on the Surround, centre, and sub... You can not do this with Organik, all 3 must be Organik. I hope this is temporary and will be addressed in the future”

Gordon Inch answered him as my previous post.
Completely different scenario with context.

Newton John

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Completely different scenario with context.
Do you think they are only talking about DACs inside a Selekt? If so, it's a fairly limited issue and those of us with Exaktboxes, Akubariks, etc. have nothing to worry about.

Sorry to have caused panic.

Edit I see troll has already answered this

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Do you think they are only talking about DACs inside a Selekt? If so, it's a fairly limited issue and those of us with Exaktboxes, Akubariks, etc. have nothing to worry about.

Sorry to have caused panic.

Edit I see troll has already answered this
Yes. Only the Selekt, and I can see that the ability to delay might not be available within Selekt and outside of Exakt. Phew!

Reactions: Newton John

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks, Guys. I was worried there for a while.

Apologies, I jumped to conclusions there because I didn’t know how Selekt works.
You are welcome. This is good use of the forum, sorting things out. Before you posted, we were unaware that mixing DACs within Selekt wouldn't work. Now we know. So thanks to you.

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Yes, this is the case with Selekt cartridges. Linn stated it clearly to the dealers up front that Organik and non-Organik DAC boards cannot be used together in the Selekt DSM. So if a customer has a 5.1 Selekt DSM based system and wants to upgrade to Organik they would need to upgrade all three cartridges (Front, Surround and Center/sub) to Organik. Katalyst and standard DACs can be mixed so this is something new.

I have not heard of this relating to anything outside of the Selekt DSM units and their cartridges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles