Linn Owners

Organik in general

Oscar P.

Wammer
Mar 6, 2020
That's also interesting. Everyone always thought the old Selekt sounded less good than an Akurate and you like it better? Or does it have something to do with Exact?
By the way, I suspect that the Utopik gives more definition, precision and dynamics and the Organik more transparency, details and naturalness.

Reactions: Paulssurround

Bladvoc

Wammer
Mar 16, 2017
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi, interesting. After upgrading to 2020 model Select in my Exact system I'm really sorry to say the AEDSM was a bit shite. Have doen the comparison a few times and the AEDSM was really hold back.
Attended a resent remo comparing the new Select Hub with Organic via a twin into Kudos 707. This was really nice and I could happily live with this. The demo showed the Select Edition to be a significant upgrade with more natural flow to the music and more live.
Will take my 2020 Selekt to my dealer of a comparison for the PSU.
My Akurate Exakt system was good, the new Selekt system is better, much better.
After a week to warm it up, the difference and improvement is very clear. I'm not very good at flowery, verbose descriptions but it really is a beautiful system. Of course the klimax twin will make a significant difference as well, it's not all down to the Selekt but never been happier with my system.

Oscar P.

Wammer
Mar 6, 2020
After a week to warm it up, the difference and improvement is very clear. I'm not very good at flowery, verbose descriptions but it really is a beautiful system. Of course the klimax twin will make a significant difference as well, it's not all down to the Selekt but never been happier with my system.
Aha, now I understand…
I thought you compared the old Selekt to the Akurate, but it was the new Selekt.

rduras

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 14, 2018
Varaždin, Croatia
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is SO used and has it been without changes in both systems?

Bladvoc

Wammer
Mar 16, 2017
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is SO used and has it been without changes in both systems?
Yes, SO2 used, dealer set it up at install, i think a couple of minor tweaks from previous. I'll have a play myself in a couple of weeks when it's all run in, and i have a bit of time.

• Thanks
Reactions: rduras

leManu

New Wammer
May 5, 2021
Vermont
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
After I saw the price of the Organik DAC and the obsolescence of my Akurate DSM/3, I decided to take a deep look into DAC technologies and alternative to big brand.

Here is what I found about it:

What Linn calls Organik is in reality DSD.
Quote from https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...verter-review/?do=findComment&comment=1214463

In this context, the new upsampling architecture of the Linn Organik DAC is interesting. In the self-programmed FPGA, the digital signal is upscaled to 98.304 MHz before the actual conversion. For the conversion, 32 "so-called flip-flops" (1-bit memory) are used per channel. Source: FIDELITY NR. 63.

98.304 MHz corresponds to DSD 2048 (98304 MHz : 48 kHz)

Anyone can use HQPlayer to upsample any source to DSD 1024, with possibly best filters and modulators. A recent PC has more processing power than any FPGA chip.

The Klimax Organik has, according to Linn, a SNR of -140dB. Source: https://www.soundstageultra.com/index.php/equipment-menu/1124-linn-klimax-dsm-av-dac-preamplifier
That's about the same as the HoloAudio May DAC: https://www.stereophile.com/content/holoaudio-may-level-3-da-processor-measurements

The HoloAudio May also have 1 Bit Converter with 32 converter elements per channel for DSD. Same sigma wave type of converter as the Organik. (T+A, Mola Mola and others are doing the same).

So for 7k (5K for the May dac, 1K for a good enough PC running Linux and 350$ for HQPlayer + some interconnect), you can probably achieve 90% of the sound of an Organik DAC. Volume control can be done through Roon, HQPlayer or a passive pre-amp.

That's the route I'm taking, I can live with 90% of the sound quality of the Organik for 20% of the price ;-)

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Matteo

Matteo
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
Milano, Italia
AKA
Matteo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So for 7k (5K for the May dac, 1K for a good enough PC running Linux and 350$ for HQPlayer + some interconnect), you can probably achieve 90% of the sound of an Organik DAC. Volume control can be done through Roon, HQPlayer or a passive pre-amp.

That's the route I'm taking, I can live with 90% of the sound quality of the Organik for 20% of the price ;-)
The Selekt Classic with stereo Organik DAC is 10,000 € in one box .

Tendaberry

LP12 Scholar
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Hamburg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
After I saw the price of the Organik DAC and the obsolescence of my Akurate DSM/3, I decided to take a deep look into DAC technologies and alternative to big brand.

In this context, the new upsampling architecture of the Linn Organik DAC is interesting. In the self-programmed FPGA, the digital signal is upscaled to 98.304 MHz before the actual conversion. For the conversion, 32 "so-called flip-flops" (1-bit memory) are used per channel. Source: FIDELITY NR. 63.
Maybe there's more to music reproduction than just numbers and data? :unsure:

Suffolkboy

Wammer
Apr 19, 2020
I'm of the opinion that numbers and data are useful for those designing kit. For the end user, completely meaningless and even counter productive.
I listened to a selekt organik vs a holo using atc 50a, The selekt was way better, the holo owner was devastated. I assume you’ve listened?

Newton John

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Quote from https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...verter-review/?do=findComment&comment=1214463

Anyone can use HQPlayer to upsample any source to DSD 1024, with possibly best filters and modulators. A recent PC has more processing power than any FPGA chip.

The Klimax Organik has, according to Linn, a SNR of -140dB. Source: https://www.soundstageultra.com/index.php/equipment-menu/1124-linn-klimax-dsm-av-dac-preamplifier
That's about the same as the HoloAudio May DAC: https://www.stereophile.com/content/holoaudio-may-level-3-da-processor-measurements

The HoloAudio May also have 1 Bit Converter with 32 converter elements per channel for DSD. Same sigma wave type of converter as the Organik. (T+A, Mola Mola and others are doing the same).

I enjoy the Audiophile Style site. It is a useful source of information, but a bit too technical for me in places

Good luck with your project. I look forward to hearing how you get on.

Newton John

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I enjoy the Audiophile Style site. It is a useful source of information, but a bit too technical for me in places

Good luck with your project. I look forward to hearing how you get on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles