Overhang help

ThELiZ

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 1, 2010
Stroud
AKA
Adam
I've just bought another cartridge to try out, an AT150MLX. In the manual it suggests using an overhang of 15mm. Now, I have always used an arc protractor calculated using Conrad Hoffman's software. This is printed out using Lofgren A alignment.

My TT, a Debut Carbon, has a spec of 18.5mm overhang. My current arc protractor template uses 18.5mm overhang, in line with the Project specs. with the AT150MLX, how important is it to adjust overhang to 15mm? How would I even do that?

I'm a bit confused as to what to do!

Thanks for any help.

luckysim0n

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 23, 2013
Liverpool
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Wish I could help but all that is is gobbledegook to me least you never wrecked cartridge tags like I did

ridley

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 12, 2007
Leicester, , United
AKA
Simon
Hi,

If you have accurately measured the arm pivot to record spindle & used this to print your protractor using Conrad Hoffmans software then as long as the slots in the headshell allow in to align, then all well & good.

The cart manufacturer can't state overhang without specifying or knowing

the arm to which it is to be fitted to, the length of arm & the spindle to pivot dimensions.

Simon.

ThELiZ

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 1, 2010
Stroud
AKA
Adam
Don't worry, I've wrecked tags in the past! Live and learn. Unfortunately, it's always an expensive lesson.

ThELiZ

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 1, 2010
Stroud
AKA
Adam
Simon, that's great information. Thanks very much.

I guess my arc protractor will do the job.

Cheers!

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And if you use

an AN arm and cart?...

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

graham67

Wammer
Wammer
May 19, 2010
i had the same question with my AT150 MLX, then realised it didnt make the slightest bit of sense when Audio Note arm rotates as far as it does. IMO, as long as the cart is still pretty square in the headshell once aligned with your protractor I would not worry.

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As suggested above, use manufacturers' recommendations, and maybe also try safely whatever you choose as a compromise for non-tangential analogue replay.

My favourite-hearing-vinyl/stylus -wear protractor is a 1987 Sept/Oct HiFi Review hard-plastic thingie ... I have bought/tried many others/this is what sounds best FOR ME on all my singles-EPs/LPs, including using Ortofon Opus test black analogue vinyl-LPs.

PLUS your 'earing/your perception of non-tangential etc listening-wear compromises...

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
And if you usean AN arm and cart?...
Fit the cart so that about half of it hangs out of the front of the headshell, then give it a twist so it looks cockeyed. That will be about perfect. :^

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
... And I have enjoyed about 5 AT cartridges ...

A well-designed etc arm-cart-ttable will magically all mate ...

Often, TT 'cutouts' are wrong/ditto arms/ditto headshells/ditto carts ...

Alles bestes. Stille Nacht.

May tags be ... lovely and analogue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Creedy