Overpriced Hifi

martinpix

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Lets face it most Hifi is overpriced , there is a lot of snobbery in hifi and people don't always listen with their ears they look at a price tag and assume the higher is the better, although I believe you get what you pay for, there are many companies that just put their logo on other brands and double the price Linn for sure do this .

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Much comment on the price of new cars, but this has much less relevance these days. Nearly everybody leases a new vehicle for 3 years at a monthly cost equivalent to the depreciation plus profit margin.

Could it work with hifi? If the retail of a Naim amp is £5k and after 3 years they calculate they could give it a once over and sell through a warranted used programme for £3k, so they set a 3 year monthly lease cost of £75. Tempting?

bigfish786

Wammer
Wammer
May 15, 2013
Yorkshire
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
when i first got into this weird hobby i was buying separates for below £50 a go off eBay, used. and i found a few gems at that money. never in a million years did i think i would ever spend £2.5k to £3k per unit on anything. but i have, and up to now, i think on the whole, i've got value for money.
where this stops, i don't know. but as long as the spend gives the desired results, then as long as you are happy with it, its not overpriced.

aspirational products, like £100k speakers will only ever be stuff to read about.
e.g focal utopia speakers, way out of my league, but the focal sopra... well, they are achievable.
second hand or ex dem, but thats getting close to the aspirational but at a more realistic price.

martinpix

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There is acoustic wall paper used in studios and video conferencing suits.
Im sure Linn will do that one day rebranded Crown paint with something added to thicken the mix at 10 x the price and special colours other than white available for and extra £50 per half litre. Paint your room and 6 months later there is an overcoat upgrade available they will call it Linn Krown and Krown top coat.

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Metatron

Aurally Satisfied
Wammer
Jan 15, 2009
Remote
AKA
Varies by deed poll
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
MSB The Select DAC springs to mind, it starts from £110K!
Haha
I think the MSB Won't Select That DAC is more apt.
Basically, most of it is rooted in jealousy or insecurity. Someone can't afford something, so gets all aerated about the price of it.
Richard, do not get a job in government explaining fuel poverty.
Transparency is good.
I'm sure you've argued against such a sound signature before ;)
I reckon most folk here are intelligent enough to make a balanced purchasing decision taking into account all factors.
I think you must have missed a few cable threads.

Reactions: Tony_J

Metatron

Aurally Satisfied
Wammer
Jan 15, 2009
Remote
AKA
Varies by deed poll
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Doesn't that mean the bloke inside prefers to spend money on his car, or that after spending money on his car a "modest small" house is all he can afford?
It means his car is a sanctuary/2nd home/dog-house from SWMBO

Metatron

Aurally Satisfied
Wammer
Jan 15, 2009
Remote
AKA
Varies by deed poll
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Beer has a taste which can be discerned by your taste buds
A paint colour is generally made up of a maximum of 4 pigments .. when dry you cannot tell the difference..
Except for the weirdo licking his wall

Reactions: bigrod

The_Krell

Wammer
Sep 13, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Since the "value" of a good is defined as what someone is willing to pay for it, the only good that could be "overpriced" is one that sells no units. Obviously there are are other reasons why no one would buy a certain good.

People seem to throw around the term "law of diminishing returns" without understanding why it exists and then extrapolate from some baseline that something is then overpriced because it's only say 10% better but costs 50% more, when in fact it isn't overpriced.

"Good value" and "bad value" are purely terms that an individual has ascribed to a good at a certain price and relates only to themselves. Not as an absolute.

Reactions: bigrod and simon g

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles