Overpriced Hifi

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m in my 47th year of manufacturing coatings , specifically matching colours by eye . Even though there are devices and self learning systems to match colour my customers still want the one person who says that’s spot on .. we are one of only a handful of companies who still do it the “ old fashioned “ way ..
I’m one of only a very few people who now have that skill . Within 10 years I reckon that ability will be gone as no one is being trained to do it anymore .because of technology..
But even after 47 years I’m still learning..
Perfection in all things can never be reached .
We only better ourselves by learning what is possible through mistakes
Along time ago (cough), I was taught how to mix any colour from tints. This was City & Guilds paint & dec. We only had white paint.
Needless to say manufacturers don't sell these anymore. :)

Metatron

Aurally Satisfied
Wammer
Jan 15, 2009
Remote
AKA
Varies by deed poll
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
But do they identify as other colours?
Only on weekends.

Except for Rose, who was busted for a crime and was re-routed from a Scottish prison and declared to actually be Red and not transistioning.

• Haha
Reactions: Strider

Nativebon

MUZIC FIRST
Wammer Plus
Aug 9, 2018
London UK
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hifi over priced nah... Energy prices, sure. The funny thing is we need the energy to power the stuff. If you got a letter 'A' beast that's gonna hurt. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Metatron

Metatron

Aurally Satisfied
Wammer
Jan 15, 2009
Remote
AKA
Varies by deed poll
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hifi over priced nah... Energy prices, sure. The funny thing is we need the energy to power the stuff. If you got a letter 'A' beast that's gonna hurt. :ROFLMAO:
You're right. Class A (the amp kind) swapped with Class D. But, I changed everything so i effectively have a new system excluding speakers, and have the Class D sounding as good as.the old systems Class A, but with more resolution, clarity and bass impact. So I will not be going back. I am biding time on when to sell old kit because of the cost of living crisis.

Stephen101

Wammer
Feb 12, 2023
Belfast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
None whatsoever.

I've never understood the screaming and wailing about the prices of some things. So what? Last time I looked, nobody was forced to buy any of it.

Of course, it's always people taking offence on behalf of others. Some dick feigning righteous indignation about people being 'ripped off', yet nobody ever moans that they themselves were ripped off because they're immune to the 'marketing'.

Basically, most of it is rooted in jealousy or insecurity. Someone can't afford something, so gets all aerated about the price of it.
Oh I've been "ripped off" (In my view anyway) on occasion over the years, but we live and learn... Still not gonna pay a king's ransom for cables though!

Stephen101

Wammer
Feb 12, 2023
Belfast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As I mentioned elsewhere. Something is worth what someone is prepared to pay.
I had my rant about the Linn streamer doubling in price from 15k to 30k but that was about justification and never really got a sensible answer from Linn but sales will determine it’s destiny and most are going abroad.
We on the other hand are buying more and more imports because we often deem them as being better value for money but not all. Some are really expensive and justifying their price can be difficult as production costs are a lot less abroad.

It is what it is, yer pays yer money etc etc.
Personally, I think Linn are taking the piss, they ask those prices because they can. If people are willing to pay through the nose why not?

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
Lincolnshire Coast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have spent a large proportion of my money on hifi over the years and it is higher on my priority list of how to spend my disposable income than some of my friends consider reasonable. I never thought any of the items I bought were overpriced even when I was disappointed by the product purchased and just put it down as a learning experience. I cannot put a price on the hours of pleasure that listening to music on my constantly changing system over many years has given me and to my friends that prefer to relax knowing that there is a new car outside on their driveway or however they choose to spend their money I say, that's great, my money my choice, your money your choice.
Well said that man (y)

Reactions: DomT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles