Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Anyone in North America thinking of going to this event in Seattle at the end of July? Linn exhibiting, according to the list of exhibitors - https://www.pacificaudiofest.com/copy-of-exhibitors-list-2

’troll
Thanks for letting us know.

I hope Linn brings their A game, and exhibit their latest spec Klimax LP12, the NG Klimax DSM or Hub, and a pair of Organic Klimax 350’s.

Looking at the list of exhibitors, I see some very high end manufacturers of excellent sounding kit. I have been disappointed in the past at some of these shows, that Linn brings Majik and Selekt level components and speakers, that are usually greatly outclassed by the higher end offerings by other manufacturers.

If Linn want to make an impact and get people talking about being rated the “best of show”, they need to bring their latest Klimax level gear. It should generate more sales for Linn.

‘’With the likes of Microsoft, Amazon, Costco and other major corporate headquarters, many Seattle customers have a lot of money to spend on high end stereos.

Given the list of exhibitors, I would like to hear one or more attendees bring their Linn power cords and Blue Jeans Ethernet cables and compare them directly in a head to head comparison to the likes of Cardas and Shunyata. I could suggest Cardas Clear products and Shunyata Sigma level products. I do believe the Linn power cords and Blue Jeans Ethernet cables will be duly spanked quite badly. 😊

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Will you be attending? I would love to go to that one.
This thread prompted me to see if it was going ahead this year. I went to one in Kaohsiung this spring, just before Covid exploded here. The Linn dealer brought the NGKDSM as a front end for his other lines, Sonus Faber Cremonas and monster Macintosh monoblocks that contained both tube and solid state sections. For the first time in several shows, I thought they did a really good job setting it up, and it of course sounded as good as others have experienced the streamer to be. This setup was solidly in the middle price range of the show, but was, to this Linnies ears, the best system there hands down.

I asked the key man why they didn't have an LP12, and he said there was no room in the room. I'm guessing the LP12 will be featured in Taipei with all the new cartridges and arms that have launched. Hopefully they'll do a complete Linn system. The guy who did the setup said even though the SF and Mac stuff were great, a whole Linn setup with Solos and Linn speakers, or a full Exakt setup would be better.

It's held in a gracious old hotel Chaing Kai Chek had built in the sleepy Japanese colonial outpost he and his goons had just retreated to. It's set up on a hill with great views. It's usually spans at least four floors with every brand you'd know, plus many small local brands. It's probably too late to organise transport here, as I think beyond the general state of global travel, we still have Covid restrictions for tourists. You could perhaps claim you are on a buying trip? I think it's easier to get in that way.
Well they do say music is the universal language.

I‘m having trouble translating this one 😂
The only reason I have Google Chrome installed is for just this problem. Open the link in Chrome, and it will translate most, but not all bits, so you can navigate it. 20220415_125513.jpg

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Looks big. I haven’t heard of any of the exhibitors, but heck, it’s Taiwan. Think of the food!

’troll
Most will agree that the best real "street" food is found here in Taichung. Taipei has a bunch of Michelin stars, but every Taiwanese will tell you you want the real stuff, go to Taichung. There is a wonderful night market within walking distance of the show at the Grand Hotel though. I always go there before I get on the High Speed Rail home.

Those names of the exhibitors are primarily the names of the local agents for the brands you'd recognise. I forget the Linn dealers name. I've reached out to a Chinese friend to go through that list and see if they're there as their English name, Cosmo Lingo doesn't seem to be on the list. I'd be shocked if they weren't.

Edit: The main Linn distributor/dealer is confirmed on the list of exhibitors. Book your tickets now for a NT$1p$100 savings! A free CD is included!

Last edited:

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There may be someone from Linn attending, however it is my comprehension that the exhibitor showcasing Linn is a dealer/distributor (Blink High End/Matterhorn Audio Group). So it remains to be seen if Linn will have someone from across the pond there.
Thank you for this information. I sent an email to Gordon Inch of Linn. I got an automatic reply saying that he is traveling with limited access to email. I'll just wait and see if he replies. Normally, I'd just attend either way. But with Covid being what it is at the moment, one should weigh the risk/reward.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ain't no spanking like a blind spanking... though I doubt this happens at hifi shows.
I just had another look at the exhibitor list. There really are only four or five that I would bother visiting. There seems to be a dominance of snake oil vendors on the list. So neither blind spanking nor sighted will be happening. Snake oil isn't demonstrated at hifi shows. You have to take their word for it.

Elad Repooc

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 23, 2020
Pacific Northwest
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
The major challenge at any of these events is being able to listen to familiar content on any of the systems, as well as finding a system that actually sounds any good - a hotel room isn't exactly the ideal environment for an audio system.

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
The major challenge at any of these events is being able to listen to familiar content on any of the systems, as well as finding a system that actually sounds any good - a hotel room isn't exactly the ideal environment for an audio system.
Yes and yes, but treated as a tasting experience it is great. The disadvantages of the environment are relatively equal across all exhibitors. It can also show you if the exhibitors can set up a system. So I feel it's a good exercise to deepen one's understanding. Hearing fifty or sixty brands, with their differing sound signatures, beyond being a fun way for an old coot to spend an afternoon, allows one to mentally sort the wheat from the chaff in the real world, in one concentrated listening session.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elad Repooc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrSteve

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Staff online