1. No

silencio

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 12, 2010
Sofia, Bulgaria
AKA
Chris
Sad news, indeed! Loved my first Panasonic Plasma and all my friends bought one. Now will have to pay tons more for mediocre stuff:(

tkimages

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 14, 2006
St Helens
AKA
Tillman
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was going to buy a new plasma as our is 5 yrs old and technology has really moved on (my son's 2 yr old panny plasma is far superior to our own) but I'm not sure if now is the right time to buy a panny plasma. Will they drop in price as people won't buy due to fear of repairs or buying into 'dead' technology, or will the prices go up as people buy them while they can still get hold of the best image quality panels?

The next technology that will complete with plasma for IQ will be OLED but that's still in its infancy and prices won't drop for a couple of years.

Decisions, decisions, decisions !!!

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
I was going to buy a new plasma as our is 5 yrs old and technology has really moved on (my son's 2 yr old panny plasma is far superior to our own) but I'm not sure if now is the right time to buy a panny plasma. Will they drop in price as people won't buy due to fear of repairs or buying into 'dead' technology' date=' or will the prices go up as people buy them while they can still get hold of the best image quality panels? The next technology that will complete with plasma for IQ will be OLED but that's still in its infancy and prices won't drop for a couple of years. Decisions, decisions, decisions !!![/quote']People are still on the lookout for and buying Kuros, so I wouldn't worry about obsolescence.

The latest and last Panny panels, especially the ZT are widely acknowledged as their best ever. I would buy with confidence.

Cambs12

Apr 11, 2010
Cambridgeshire
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bad timing for me,as i was going to buy a Panasonic plasma in the new year for a new lounge.Looking for about 60 inches or so.Maybe i ought to get one now and to hell with losing some of the warranty as it stands idle.

silencio

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 12, 2010
Sofia, Bulgaria
AKA
Chris
Bad timing for me,as i was going to buy a Panasonic plasma in the new year for a new lounge.Looking for about 60 inches or so.Maybe i ought to get one now and to hell with losing some of the warranty as it stands idle.
Thinking I'll do the same. Too good an offer to pass on...

Somnambulist

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 17, 2012
SE London
AKA
Paul
They'll be made until Christmas, so I suspect stocks will be good enough (combined with the lack of sales from joe public) that when they get stuck in the January sales etc they'll be enough for all the enthusiasts out there. I'm after a 50VT65 and am going to wait a couple of months and see what happens.

Samsung will keep making plasmas for at least one more year and given their F8500 came very close to the performance of the top-end Panny's, they may try and steal the 'best plasma' crown from Panasonic to kick them while they're done. No point paying full wack for one of those when you could get a cheaper 2013 Panny though...

tkimages

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 14, 2006
St Helens
AKA
Tillman
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just noticed that some of the panny plasma prices are starting to drop. When I started looking a few months ago, a 50ST60 was averaging £999, a place in Bradford is now selling them at £849 with a 5 yr Panasonic warranty - and they've got stock

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
All of the best to those who prefer plasma. There are other great cheaper suitable technologies.

tkimages

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 14, 2006
St Helens
AKA
Tillman
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
We went to have a look at a Panny 50ST60 in a localish shop as they had 4 in stock. When we eventually got there all had been sold, so we ordered one at the price we had been quoted over the phone. We would have considered the 55ST60 if they had had one in stock, but they were all sold and the next lot were going to be £100 dearer. Just need to sort out a decent sound system to go with it, as we now use an AE Aego 2.1 system but it's a bit of a faff to use. It runs from the audio out RCAs on the TV so we have to turn down the sound on the TV, then manually set the volume on the Aego (no remote!!) before we can watch whatever it is that we want to watch.

alienprophet

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 17, 2013
Kent
AKA
Bob
I think that is a shame. I still use my old Pioneer plasma, i believe they sold the technology to Panasonic when they ceased production themselves.

I have watch current higher priced lcd screens and in my opinion although the black levels are possibly a fair improvement over the old Pioneer as far as natural colours etc are concerned the Pioneer plasma still is superior. Especially with non hd input. A lot of the current screens i see have what i can best describe as a smearing effect on the picture on non hd signals.

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
YOU must decide for yourself (your money/life/preferably enjoyment) what tellie-panel-VDU-projector etc suits your budget-domicile-life.

Some prefer plasma. Fortunately - all things almost - I don't.

I advise checking out not overpriced suitable options ... might include Pannie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles