Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
So whats the crack with the cheaper 'Limited' Lenses?

I am looking at the 35mm f2.8 Macro Limited, 15mm f4 Limited and 70mm f2.4 Limited athough would not be purchasing all at the same time.

They all seem to have very good distortion control, and sharp (although not quite wide open) and compact/lightweight with great build.

Weighing up the Pentax system vs Sigma.

The Lenses are similar sort of prices to the equivalent Sigma (10-20mm f3.5, 30mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.4) and although generally not as fast, higher ISO performance on the K-30/K5 is a lot better than the SD15.

All I need is a wide lens (<28mm equivalent), a ~50mm equivalent and a telephoto (not so critical)

Cheers, Rob :^

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The main difference between the "cheaper" as you call them, DA Limited lenses and the costlier FA Limiteds is that the DAs are designed for cropped DSLR bodies.

The FA Limiteds (FA 31, FA 43 and FA 77) are older designs that hark back to the days of the 35mm film SLR. They're full frame capable on film or digital and feature an aperture ring. I have the 31 and 77 and they're just incredible.

The DA Limiteds ( DA 15, DA 21, DA 35, DA 40 and DA 70) all feature quick shift focussing.

I have a DA 15 Ltd and previously owned the DA 35 Macro Ltd - they're both superb. The 15 is one of my absolute favourites! The DA 35 Ltd is super too and a useful focal length on APS-C.. I only sold mine to upgrade to the FA 31.

The joy of any of the Pentax Limiteds is in their absolute quality. The all metal construction and image quality is top class, pretty much Leica and Zeiss quality - they're compact too. Go and handle any of the Ltds and it will become clear.

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Cheers, Starting from nothing here, the DA lenses look just what I am after, and a K-5 looks good value too with the K-5 II (K-5 IIS) out now.

The DA Limited just look ideal with their small size and one feature I like, is the standard 49mm filter size across the range. Looks like they have great residule value to, especially compared to the Sigma lenses.

A K-5 and DA 35 Limited looks good value for ~£850

Looks like I am off into Swindon tomorrow to have a play with a SD15 and K-5 :^

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Great, let us know how you get on.

The K-5 is a lovely piece of kit, really solid - great with the DA 35 Ltd!

BTW check out Flash Camera in Scotland for the UK's best prices on Pentax Limited lenses.

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
LOL. I think it's about time more folks realised there's other good DSLR options than Canon, Nikon and Sony.

Pentax can't market their gear for shit, which is criminal. Some of my local friends have commented to me that they didn't even realise that Pentax still exist. Says it all really.

B

BD Audio

Nice and compact for SLR, kindly priced and produce some very nice images.

B

BD Audio

Alfie and your shots of late vouch for them that's for sure. :^

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Hmmm well neither shop in Swindon stock Pentax products, had a look at the Sigma SD15 though, and they are getting some DP Merrill Refurbs in so will probably pop back in next week. The new Sigma 35mm f1.8 looks lovely BTW!

Looks like it might be Bath as the nearest place to get a hands on, no shops in Reading or Oxford seem to have any either.

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So whats the crack with the cheaper 'Limited' Lenses?I am looking at the 35mm f2.8 Macro Limited, 15mm f4 Limited and 70mm f2.4 Limited athough would not be purchasing all at the same time.

They all seem to have very good distortion control, and sharp (although not quite wide open) and compact/lightweight with great build.

Weighing up the Pentax system vs Sigma.

The Lenses are similar sort of prices to the equivalent Sigma (10-20mm f3.5, 30mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.4) and although generally not as fast, higher ISO performance on the K-30/K5 is a lot better than the SD15.

All I need is a wide lens (<28mm equivalent), a ~50mm equivalent and a telephoto (not so critical)

Cheers, Rob :^
I have those two Rob , very pleased with both, all my Flickr account pics have been taken with them http://www.flickr.com/photos/barryjp/, the majority are with the 35 mm Macro as I have only just got the 70mm

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
oooo lots to find over there! :^ Managed to find somewhere that has the K-5 in stock, downside is its LCE in Bath.

They dont have the Limited lenses in stock either to have a look at.

Does nowhere stock them? :doh:

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
SRS Microsystems in Watford. They have the K-5 at £449 with free 2 year warranty for Pentax User forum members (free to register BTW).

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I was hopefully looking for somewhere to hold one, its been a long time since I have tried a Pentax grip.

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
SRS stock a lot of Pentax kit and all of the major brands too. Worth a visit for a handling comparison with other cameras. They're the cheapest seller too.

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just been having a nosey at the K5 and it looks to be a very seriously well specified bit of kit. I was always a fan of their old 35mm cameras (I had an MX for a while) so it's good to see the new stuff getting rave reviews - especially in the case of the K5-II

Just for the hell of it I may pop into LCE in Lincoln and have a play with one.

Going onto Snapsort the K5-II stands up very well indeed against more 'mainstream' makes (I use the word mainstream purely from the PofV that you rarely see a Pentax out on the photographic street). They rate it higher overall than the 7D.

Thanks for the heads-up Phil - it's sparked my interest. :)

I've often wondered where Pentax is concerned, the reason why they've never had a dominant market position - within the average camera-buying folk - is that they've never had a 'monster' professional camera (ie along the lines of the Nikon D3/4 and Canon EOS 1 etc). A range topper that people feel their own, more lowly model is related to. The last pro Pentax I can remember was the old 35mm LX - now that was a lovely thing.

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I think its as Phil says, its all down to marketing.

When I did Photography A-Level (2003-2005), we only used 35m film cameras, and it was mainly Canon or Pentax, I don't remember any Nikon or Olympus cameras (I used Minolta).

Before I bought my last DSLR (~2006), the Konica Minolta 5D, I remember the Pentax models being a lot more prevalent and I saw/held quite a few in shops before deciding on the Minolta but this was before Sony were in the game, and all the Mirrorless ICL cameras.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles