Perfect CD/Amp combo for Dynaudio Contour 1.1?

darrenm

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
3,214
0
0
, , United Kingdom
Hey,

Just looking for some ideas as perhaps inspiration to keep some money aside this summer.

My experiments give me the feeling the Dyn's would benefit from a punchy and powerful combo?

Ideas on a postcard...

PS - Music is dance and hip-hop, mostly. (poorly recorded etc blah blah)

 

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
24,223
1,358
208
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
darrenmayne wrote:

My experiments give me the feeling the Dyn's would benefit from a punchy and powerful combo?Ideas on a postcard...
Yes. The best sound I've had from the 52SE's has been with the big-banger Rotel, and that puts 330 watts up their little 4 ohm chuffs! Better than Cyrus mono's, much better than a Cyrus integrated IMO.

Look for something class AB with lots ofcurrent deliveryand a punchy sound. It could be a bit bright - the dyn's will pull it back.

I've heard Jammy's Densen Beat sounding very very good with 1.3's. The Krell integrated would be a good choice, but it needs lots of pennies!

Technobear is a 1.1 fan, but forgotten what he uses. Try a PM.

 

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
12,907
147
123
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
FYI Technobear uses a £2300 ATC integrated. Sounds very punchy indeed. At a lower cost i feel the Densen is a winner. Jezzer bought one recently to use with Dyns and he loves it!

 

Jezzer

Passionate
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
9,808
1,187
193
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
The Densen B-100 does a great job of driving the 1.1's. Though I reckon, if you can afford it, a Krell KAV400xi would be even better.

Can't complain about the new Rega Apollo either. Wonderful cd player.

Depends on your budget really...

Other alternatives?

Naim, Copland...

 

contour

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 25, 2006
251
0
0
, , Netherlands
I like the sound of my Primare A30.1 mkII a lot thrue my Dynaudio's so this amp and the new I30 and I20 amp would probably be able to make those 1.1's sing. Also like the combination it makes with my recently purchased s/h Marantz player and the new SA-15S1 and SA-11S1 are very good. Very deepand tight bass is what I'm getting fom my combination and itdoes very well with hip hop and dance music where the bass realy shines.Cheaper alternatives from the Marantz stable that are also said to be very good are the new SA 7001 and SA 7001KI players. Primare's cd21 also got very nice reviews and looks great and Naim cd5i and Rega Apollo also are great players.

 

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
8,561
45
0
UK
darrenmayne wrote:

PS - Music is dance and hip-hop, mostly. (poorly recorded etc blah blah)
Darren you need to add a sub. IMHO. If these are your main music sources then a sub will blow your pants off.

Other than that - every suggestion so far will do the 1.1s wonderfully.

 

bigalow

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 11, 2005
35
0
0
, ,
I USE A COPLAND CDA-822

AND EXPOSURE 23/28 COMBO WITH THE 1.1S

I CAN LISTEN FOR HRS WITHOUT ANY TIREDNESS

BUT I AM NOT ONE FOR TING AND FIZZ

I LIKE MY SOUNDS SILKY SMOOTH WITH NO TREBLE HARSHNESS

THIS COMBO GIVES ME WHAT I WANT

WITHOUT LOSING AN OUNCE OF DETAIL

 

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
24,223
1,358
208
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
cjr wrote:

darrenmayne wrote:
PS - Music is dance and hip-hop, mostly. (poorly recorded etc blah blah)
Darren you need to add a sub. IMHO. If these are your main music sources then a sub will blow your pants off.

Other than that - every suggestion so far will do the 1.1s wonderfully.
Noooooo!

Dynaudio standmounts don't need a sub, IME. Not with good placement and a powerful amp, anyway. Plenty of bass will be available, of better quality than you'll get from a nasty sub.

Dave and Rudy will be along to agree with me....

 

ErikFH

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2005
3,100
5
0
Netherlands
AKA
Erik
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
meninblack wrote:

cjr wrote:
darrenmayne wrote:
PS - Music is dance and hip-hop, mostly. (poorly recorded etc blah blah)
Darren you need to add a sub. IMHO. If these are your main music sources then a sub will blow your pants off.

Other than that - every suggestion so far will do the 1.1s wonderfully.
Noooooo!

Dynaudio standmounts don't need a sub, IME. Not with good placement and a powerful amp, anyway. Plenty of bass will be available, of better quality than you'll get from a nasty sub.

Dave and Rudy will be along to agree with me....
goodpost.gif.00822561e807cf35c79b3503f2e609d0.gif
,
gun_bandana.gif.34a70e258c8f5d8165134eb5137071e8.gif
subs.

 

Polarbear

Old bear
Wammer Plus
Jul 24, 2005
9,581
403
0
AKA
PB
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A Naim CDX2, 202/200 combination would do nicely

Regards

PB

 

bigalow

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 11, 2005
35
0
0
, ,
THE DYNA'S DON'T LACK ANY BASS EVEN IN MY FAIRLY LARGE ROOM

WHAT THEY DO LIKE IS A STRONG AND HEAVY STAND

 

ErikFH

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2005
3,100
5
0
Netherlands
AKA
Erik
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hawk wrote:

rofl.gif.57a0859802223cfb25763a5f876a4be6.gif
Just get a couple of subs, pref active and a single speaker to add some HF
14-00000002.gif.828495f168ee75f09f640fa4f13bd3a2.gif


apart from that :lwink: Ive heard Naim sounding good with Dyns..
It will be easy to flog it off on wigwam-bay shouldn't it work sincemany herellllllllllllooooooove :love:this kind of placebo stuff.

All goodrecs here,me :KH:drove them them with various MF amps with good results.
whistling.gif.b56e45ab421c066833020c8ede98c081.gif


 

Forum statistics

Threads
109,302
Messages
2,317,274
Members
69,452
Latest member
bugsaint