Phono pre-amp cables

Stiffy

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 13, 2010
Scotland
AKA
John
Do the cables connected between a phono stage and an amp make any difference to sound quality.

I've been told because the signal is not a digital one it shouldn't matter??

RobHolt

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2006
East London
AKA
Rob
It can make a difference but only if the cable characteristics are seriously abnormal in some way - and that's very rare indeed.

The typical coax or twisted pair screened cable constructions in short lengths are interchangeable with no effect on sound.

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Do the cables connected between a phono stage and an amp make any difference to sound quality.I've been told because the signal is not a digital one it shouldn't matter??
Not a lot no. Make sure they are good enough quality that you stop worrying about it is my advice.

Not sure why it would matter with a digital cable though? That has even less chance of making any difference.

FiftyPlus

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 5, 2007
, , United Kingdom
Do the cables connected between a phono stage and an amp make any difference to sound quality.I've been told because the signal is not a digital one it shouldn't matter??
Unfortunately, and despite what's written here, the answer is yes! (especially as it is analogue). I have a choice of three cables and they all affect the sound differently. One's a bit lacking in sparkle, the other two are too bright. The Cambridge 551p I suspect is the greatest part of the character (naturally bright), as well as the four cartridges I've tried. The phono input of my amp (have two turntables and want to use one for the rougher stuff and old singles to protect the costly Dyna stylus on my main deck) sounds better fed direct by an Ortofon 2M Red (broken in) than anything via the PP - though my Dynavector (temporarily plugged in to the PP) seems to quite like playing through the Cambridge via some Qnect 3s. The answer to the query would be to try out a few cables ranging from basic supplied type cable to a modest interconnect not costing more than £40 or thereabouts and judge for yourself. A good dealer will lend you a pair I'm sure.

Stiffy

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 13, 2010
Scotland
AKA
John
TT is an old AR the TT using standard cables into to my Project Phono Box SE then into either a Trio KA3055 or Sony TA FB940R QS amp with Gotham IC's.

I've just got a pair of Van Damme IC's to try too.

I've also bypassed the Phono Box and connected the TT straight into the Sony amps built in phono stage and I think it's actually quite good.

I can't try the same with the Trio as the left channel is down which is why I bought the Phono Box in the first place.

My wife thinks I'm mental (and she may be right) but I probably spend as much time swapping stuff around and then back again as I do listening to the actual music. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.