Phono stage upgrade

coppertop

Wammer
New Wammer
Dec 12, 2013
Hi,

I am using a Naim Nait 3 amp just for the phono stage into a Rega Ear headphone amp. What might a worthwhile upgrade be without spending lots more money than I might get for the Naim amp?

rmsshipbroker

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 4, 2012
Yorkshire
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Hi,I am using a Naim Nait 3 amp just for the phono stage into a Rega Ear headphone amp. What might a worthwhile upgrade be without spending lots more money than I might get for the Naim amp?
I really rated the phono stage in the Nait 3.

Mine sold for just over £200 late last year and I honestly think it would be difficult to better it for that sum.

My thoughts would be to spend any money on a better cartridge.

That would be more cost effective.

All IMHO of course. :)

divedeepdog

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2011
notts/derby
AKA
mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I've just got my friend a Bugle2, very impressive and not even run in! Having had my fair share of Naim phono stages (internal cards Stageline and Prefix) I'd put it above Prefix.

2nd hand Arkless is also within budget, and even better

coppertop

Wammer
New Wammer
Dec 12, 2013
I really rated the phono stage in the Nait 3.Mine sold for just over £200 late last year and I honestly think it would be difficult to better it for that sum.

My thoughts would be to spend any money on a better cartridge.

That would be more cost effective.

All IMHO of course. :)
Thanks.

I've got a Systemdek XII 900 with a Moth arm and Goldring 1022 cartridge. Would a cartridge upgrade be a better option? Or is the Ear a weak link?

Any/ all help appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

I've just got my friend a Bugle2, very impressive and not even run in! Having had my fair share of Naim phono stages (internal cards Stageline and Prefix) I'd put it above Prefix.2nd hand Arkless is also within budget, and even better
I haven't heard of these product suggestions but I'll look into them, thanks.

divedeepdog

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2011
notts/derby
AKA
mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
If you stick your location in the info, you could invite some local Wammers to bring their stages round. We're a friendly bunch that'll travel miles for a cuppa and biscuits :run:

jeules0

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 2, 2013
Kent, UK
AKA
Chris
I've just got my friend a Bugle2, very impressive and not even run in! Having had my fair share of Naim phono stages (internal cards Stageline and Prefix) I'd put it above Prefix.2nd hand Arkless is also within budget, and even better
+1 on the Arkless modded Cambridge Audio preamp: bought mine 2nd hand on the Wam last week and am very impressed with it.

divedeepdog

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2011
notts/derby
AKA
mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I've got the Arkless and Bugle2 side by side ATM, The Arkless is superior, but new its £300 vs £120 (+tax) so it should be. Its fairly close though, and the Bugle is ripe for some DIY modding.

(I'm hoping to get my Prefix running tomorrow, will report ;-) )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles