Pink Floyd Pulse DVD Anyone seen it yet?

supercapman

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Bath, , United Kingd
AKA
Chris
I'm considering getting this, quality any good? Is it one of those live DVD's where the multitude of camera changes leaves you feckin giddy? Wouldn't mind it as I was at this gig.

Cheers SCM.

G

SC this DVD is the dogs danglies. Comfortably numb is a real chill down the spine moment.

GJO

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2006
Kent, ,
AKA
Graham
Was also there,but you see so much more on the DVD,best production of a concert by far.

RichardG

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 4, 2005
West of Cardiff, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I went on the night the temporary seating collapsed during the intro, and couldn't go to the rescheduled gig (which is why I paid £50 in text messages for a Live8 ticket :lmao:)

Funnily enough, Pulse arrived at ours on Saturday and yes, it looks and sounds absolutely wonderful, as good as (if not better) than the Roger Waters In The Flesh DVD which was my previous benchmark for quality.

Buy with confidence (as they say)

ONLY downside - it's not the whole gig - Astronome Domine, What Do You Want From Me, Hey You and A Great Day for Freedom are all missing
sad.png

But for about £14, it's a steal!

Cheers!

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
supercapman wrote:

I'm considering getting this, quality any good? Is it one of those live DVD's where the multitude of camera changes leaves you feckin giddy? Wouldn't mind it as I was at this gig.Cheers SCM.
I was there too mate, on the night they filmed it:D

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was at the one they filmed a few days prior to the seating colapse I think. The DVD is ok, the picture is far from great and it doesn't capture any of the scale of the thing, but not bad.

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My 1st real foray into concert DVDs - reckon it's brilliant but I haven't got a good AV set-up so doubt I get the real benefit.

G

I use my dvd as transport and plumb it into the back of my Wadia.
party4.gif.af93715a971cd102256f35cade2c9c1e.gif

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
Duvet wrote:

Bedspread what is the quality like in stereo from the DVD ?

Hopefully Sumdungi see's this question, always got time for his technical appraisal of DVD-Vs soundtracks.
wink.png

G

Very good Colin and i mean very good but the best i have in my collection for sound is Springsteen at Hammersmith Odeon in 1975( Part of the Born to Run box set). The picture is pants but the sound quality is unbelievable.

G

cjr wrote:

Duvet wrote:

Hopefully Sumdungi see's this question, always got time for his technical appraisal of DVD-Vs soundtracks.
wink.png
Hi Colin

Still lurking a lot but never seem to have much time to post.

I've had Pulse since it's release and it is fabulous IMHO. Have to say I prefer the 2 channel mix, the soundstage is massive and the overall presentation gives the listener/viewer a real sense of 'being there'. The 5 channel in my view has some shortcomings in the mix with the bass being ittle over-inflated for my personal tastes. On most tracks the rears are used for audience and some effects, nice in Breathe where you get the chatter all around you and generally the Dark Side sequence does scrub up well in 5 channel but the very heavy bass is too intrusive. Having spent a significant bit of time and money on getting a decent AV rig I would not expect to have to make adjustments to the sub every time I wanted to listen/watch and this is the case with Pulse. Viideo is excellent, very crisp, not too many panning and 'clever' effects to distract it's very much shot from an audience perspective though some good close up shots of Gilmours amazing geetar work.

To be honest I now always watch/listen Pulse in 2 channel now but I cannot recommend it highly enough. As someone else said Comfortably Numb is magnificent and One of These Days is just an absolute pile driver. It's an essential purchase without a shadow of a doubt and audio wise the two channel is as good as you would expect.

By the way, Porcupine Tree have released their first 'live' DVD - Arriving Somewher.e Play dropped it through my letterbox yesterday, haven't had a full run through yet but it's something I've been looking forward to receiving. Covers a variety of their material, particularly Deadwing and In Absentia.

RichardG

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 4, 2005
West of Cardiff, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sumdumgi wrote:

cjr wrote:
Duvet wrote:

wink.png
Viideo is excellent, very crisp, not too many panning and 'clever' effects to distract it's very much shot from an audience perspective though some good close up shots of Gilmours amazing geetar work.
The picture is quite grainy on my Loewe CRT (may be the film stock used - if indeed it was filmed instead of video?)
As someone else said Comfortably Numb is magnificent and One of These Days is just an absolute pile driver.
You're not kidding - OOTDs is IMMENSE - the Floyd in full effect - the visuals are astounding here!
By the way, Porcupine Tree have released their first 'live' DVD - Arriving Somewher.e Play dropped it through my letterbox yesterday, haven't had a full run through yet but it's something I've been looking forward to receiving. Covers a variety of their material, particularly Deadwing and In Absentia.
I'm still waiting for the PT DVD from Amazon
sad.png
Very cheap, but they're stating it isn't released until 5th Nov - I know the PT online shop have been shipping for months, but now that Play are delivering , what are Amazon playing at?!?!?!

Cheers!

RG

G

The picture is quite grainy on my Loewe CRT (may be the film stock used - if indeed it was filmed instead of video?)
I'musing a Sony Bravia LCD fed by an Arcam DV137 through an HDMI cable so there is an element of upscaling which probably accounts for my view of the quality of the video presentation. Irrespective it's about the complete video/audio experience which is very fine indeed..

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
Excellent lads been enjoying it tonight, really nice to finally see Floyd playing a recording I now so well from CD. Anyway, best mix for me is the 640kbps 5.1 downmixed to stereo, lovely .. breathe in the air, been a good week for Floyd discs, a nice dude over on AVForums sent me a DVD-A 4.1 24 Bit 96 Khz recording of Dark Side of the Moon, which hails from the master tapes apparently. Stunning is all I can say. Blows the SACD version into the weeds. These are popping up on eBay and I'd reccomend them to you Floyd fans.

Dark Side of the Moon on DVD-A FYI :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375336

G

Good :dude:Been watching U2 in Chicago tonight. Very good visually but not a patch on the sound quality on the Pink Floyd disc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles