Plinius amps

darrenm

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
3,214
0
0
, , United Kingdom
Chaps,

I've read that Plinius are a bit like Krell, but obviously less expensive.

Dynaudio used the brand too at the Bristol Show, so it should be a decent match for my 1.1s.

Any thoughts?

 

ErikFH

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2005
3,100
5
0
Netherlands
AKA
Erik
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I last year heard a Plinius 9100 drivingmy current Dyns (took the speakers to the dealer)and the sound wasvery pleasent on first hearing. Didn't listened long enough to get a full impression (need home demo for that) but it figured why many thinkthis brand matches Dyns the best. Plinius sound isusually described as valvelike (helpfulisn't it
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif
).

Draconis might want to comment as he has been using Plinius with Dynaudio iirc.

 

darrenm

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
3,214
0
0
, , United Kingdom
ErikFH wrote:

I last year heard a Plinius 9100 drivingmy current Dyns (took the speakers to the dealer)and the sound wasvery pleasent on first hearing. Didn't listened long enough to get a full impression (need home demo for that) but it figured why many thinkthis brand matches Dyns the best. Plinius sound isusually described as valvelike (helpfulisn't it
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif
).Draconis might want to comment as he has been using Plinius with Dynaudio iirc.
If it's valve-like, but with Krell punch, I think it could suit me.

 

ErikFH

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 2, 2005
3,100
5
0
Netherlands
AKA
Erik
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
darrenm wrote:

If it's valve-like, but with Krell punch, I think it could suit me.
It is this that I'm not sure of. Didn't listen long enough tofind out. I tried a Moon I-7 integrated not so long ago, which is also considered a great match for the Dyns, and, although otherwise fine, it lacked slam imo. Same can be saidfor Accuphase. Once again proved that is not without risk to go by comments of others only instead of decent demo.

 

darrenm

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
3,214
0
0
, , United Kingdom
Hopefully it will slam - it's quite powerful.

It looks like I'm taking the special stage to Wales tonight to buy a Plinius 8100 integrated.

If anybody knows a reason why I shouldn't please shout before 5.30pm!

biggrin.png


 

Draconis

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 24, 2007
73
1
38
New Zealand
AKA
Neil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi, yes I have been using Plinius with Dyn. It does have a very good synergy, Plinius is very much like a Krell with valves in it.

I guess it depends on which amp you're looking at but the 9200 integrated is a fantastic amp for the money, ( I don't know what thge UK RRP is though). I highly recommend them, I have used a lot of Plinius over the years, and honestly nothing has sounded better with the Confidence C4s

Cheers

 

Draconis

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 24, 2007
73
1
38
New Zealand
AKA
Neil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I didn't read that you were going to get an 8100. I had one of those a few years back, you will love it I'm sure, but it has no phono stage on board (if that matters)

 

darrenm

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
3,214
0
0
, , United Kingdom
Matt J wrote:

Didnt get a bit over enthusiastic on the drive home did you
wink.png
Could of given it a knock.
I was driving gently - high MPG is my life
smile.png


I've disconnected the CDP and hum has gone, would this point to a grounding issue of some sort?
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif
:?
71_71.gif.3e6d891ee0cc25b2acfe143a79a91cc1.gif


 

darrenm

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
3,214
0
0
, , United Kingdom
w00t w00t it's working...

...but I've had to put it out in the hallway in a separate socket...

So obviously I have hum issues in my main system plugging area
sad.png


 

jagdesign

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 20, 2007
641
3
0
London
darrenm wrote:

I haven't listened much, but initial impressions are that it's very clean, and it sounds faster than other amps? i.e. more BPM?!
This is what I noticed when I had to listen to all my music through computer speakers at uni. Compared to my system, everything I played seemed noticeably slower. I think this is due to the amp timing badly, i.e bass notes lasting longer than they should etc.

The music cannot get any faster than it is recorded at, unless there's something wrong withyour cdp. So your new amp is just doing it's job properly, would've thought the Copland had fairly decent timing though?

 

darrenm

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
3,214
0
0
, , United Kingdom
jagdesign wrote:

darrenm wrote:
I haven't listened much, but initial impressions are that it's very clean, and it sounds faster than other amps? i.e. more BPM?!
This is what I noticed when I had to listen to all my music through computer speakers at uni. Compared to my system, everything I played seemed noticeably slower. I think this is due to the amp timing badly, i.e bass notes lasting longer than they should etc.

The music cannot get any faster than it is recorded at, unless there's something wrong withyour cdp. So your new amp is just doing it's job properly, would've thought the Copland had fairly decent timing though?
The Copland is interesting in that it sounds smooth and not obviously fast, yet timing was exceptional. probably because it brought instruments to the forefront.

 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
109,296
Messages
2,317,166
Members
69,449
Latest member
Louis_067