Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is basically how I see passive pre amp's. But I read so many comments of how they can improve the sound to staggering levels of new clarity and better separation. How? It's a pot in a box! What can it improve? and why?

I fail to see how the claims can be real, so I await education. I would actually like to try a passive, as my mono's have tons of gain.

i_should_coco

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2006
This is basically how I see passive pre amp's. But I read so many comments of how they can improve the sound to staggering levels of new clarity and better separation. How? It's a pot in a box! What can it improve? and why?I fail to see how the claims can be real, so I await education. I would actually like to try a passive, as my mono's have tons of gain.
I assume vs a n active preamp which adds noise and distortion. Eliminating such an element could bring benefits.

Otherwise, bunk.

pgarrish

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 13, 2011
Preston, Lancashire,
AKA
Paul
perhaps it is that, pound for pound, a passive pre will have better quality components (e.g. that pot) and be in a cleaner environment (no power supplies) than an active at the same price point. Hence a 300-400 passive pre is probably as good as a 1000-1500 active pre in as much as the passive will have comparable sockets, wiring, selector switch and pot/attenuator.

the other likely reason is 'synergy'. Some power amps just get on better with a passive pre and some will work better with an active.

But as you say, by definition, the passive cannot 'add' anything.

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
Bury St Edmunds, UK
AKA
Serge
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A passive, except for the few transformer-based passives are just that, a pot in a box. I built anyunumber of them in the past for about £30 each, of which the biggest cost was the box. I currently use a TC Electronics Volume Pilot because I love the knob-feel!

Anyone who can solder and drill a few holes can make a very good passive for around £30.

S

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Even a pot in a box has to be executed with reasonable care to get things right.

I used a switched resistor passive as proof of concept. You can do the same for relatively little from Tisbury Audio on eBay. If it isn't immediately obvious what the gains are then it isn't for you. My Sonic Euphoria will be making its way up North to that bakeoff on the 27th.

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
Bury St Edmunds, UK
AKA
Serge
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Even a pot in a box has to be executed with reasonable care to get things right. I used a switched resistor passive as proof of concept. You can do the same for relatively little from Tisbury Audio on eBay. If it isn't immediately obvious what the gains are then it isn't for you. My Sonic Euphoria will be making its way up North to that bakeoff on the 27th.
Sorry, but what's the difference between a switched resistor network and a decent pot? The benefit of a pot is that it's continuously variable, whereas with switched resistors, the one I want is always between two settings.

S

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry, but what's the difference between a switched resistor network and a decent pot? The benefit of a pot is that it's continuously variable, whereas with switched resistors, the one I want is always between two settings.S
Did I say there was a difference Serge? Just saying what I used, your post appeared while I was writing. ;-)

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
Bury St Edmunds, UK
AKA
Serge
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Did I say there was a difference Serge? Just saying what I used, your post appeared while I was writing. ;-)
Apologies. I made the unwarranted assumption that by mentioning switched resistors, you were implying that they were better than a pot. That has been claimed on here before!

S.

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Apologies. I made the unwarranted assumption that by mentioning switched resistors, you were implying that they were better than a pot. That has been claimed on here before! S.
No need to apologise. :)

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Rick - I've a DIY passive - silver wired, Alps blue pot, Kiwame resistor shunt to ground - next time you're in Brayton remind me and you can give it a try. :^
Will do cheers mate. I wanted to pop over this weekend, but work made other plans for me. This afternoon was supposed to be free, but :nup: .

unclepuncle

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 11, 2007
Northants
I've had an itch to try a good TVC /Passive for a while and have a Music First Baby Classic coming today that I bought on here at the weekend.

Will be interesting to see how it compares to my Michell Orca, which has really impressed me so far - much nicer than the Chord preamp I had before and tbh there wasn't a great deal between the Orca and Marks (browellm) Kondo M7 to my ears when he brought it round, so the Music First will have to be bloody good to surplant it.

unclepuncle

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 11, 2007
Northants
Got the Music First TVC yesterday and it doesn't sound at all like I was expecting. :nup:

DSC05887.jpg

My preconceptions based on reviews and comments meant that I thought it would be uber fast, very detailed and precise and maybe a bit thin, but in fact it sounds incredibly similar to the Orca and is just exceptionally smooth and easy to listen to.

I'm not sure there is obviously any more detail (maybe that's a compliment to the quality of the Orca:?) or any great change to the soundstage or imaging and the only real difference I can detect is in the bass - which seems a just a bit drier and leaner (possibly it's just less bloated?).

Wll have to swap them over a few more times and see which is the keeper (the remote volume of the Orca is a plus point in it's favour though).

smegger68

With your sister, somewhere you wouldn't like.
Wammer
Jan 18, 2006
Bridgend
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
medical-marijuana1.jpg

Since I've started using this pot in a box I have noticed an across the board improvement when listening to music. It is much more involving, and the highs.... have to be experienced to be believed. Availability is limited though, finding an authorised dealer is next to impossible :)

unclepuncle

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 11, 2007
Northants
medical-marijuana1.jpg
Since I've started using this pot in a box I have noticed an across the board improvement when listening to music. It is much more involving, and the highs.... have to be experienced to be believed. Availability is limited though, finding an authorised dealer is next to impossible :)
Are you open to any trades? :nerves:

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is basically how I see passive pre amp's. But I read so many comments of how they can improve the sound to staggering levels of new clarity and better separation. How? It's a pot in a box! What can it improve? and why?I fail to see how the claims can be real, so I await education. I would actually like to try a passive, as my mono's have tons of gain.
I've a spare Tisbury passive pre I'd be happy to loan you. :)

I think it sounds great and shows the door to many an expensive active pre. But what do I know? - I am happily unencumbered by technical knowledge. :geek: :nup:

Just PM me name/address details if you are interested in a loan of it.

smegger68

With your sister, somewhere you wouldn't like.
Wammer
Jan 18, 2006
Bridgend
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've a spare Tisbury passive pre I'd be happy to loan you. :) I think it sounds great and shows the door to many an expensive active pre. But what do I know? - I am happily unencumbered by technical knowledge. :geek: :nup:

Just PM me name/address details if you are interested in a loan of it.
You have a PM Jerry ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Millard

Latest Articles