Power amp for Summits

bonzo

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 13, 2013
London
Hi my Krell integrated does not allow me to connect a pre-amp. I am looking for a power amp that I can use for experimentation so that I can get demos of various pre-amps. What is a good generic cheap power amp for the purpose. I want to experiment with AR, Quad, CJ, VTL - without each time having to get a corresponding power amp.

Is there any such power amp you would recommend? For example, if you think a Krell power would work, what is the minimum I could settle for, instead of having to buy something expensive. Ideally I would like to get one from the used market and sell it off after experimentation, unless it is mind blowingly awesome.

Various model suggestions welcome, that allow a pre-amp to be connected, so I can keep an eye out for a good deal on one of those

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Quad 909? I used to have a 606, pretty neutral, but I think the 909 handles low impedances better. Not expensive and easy to move on.

bluedroog

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2012
London
Quad 909? I used to have a 606, pretty neutral, but I think the 909 handles low impedances better. Not expensive and easy to move on.
+1 on the 909, I use one and cannot fault it, plus as mentioned they hold their value well. Pretty neutral, decent power and built like a tank. I have quite an attachment to mine and even if I go active as planned at some point I'll hang on the the 909 for a second system.

bonzo

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 13, 2013
London
Thanks. So if I connect an Audio Research Ref 3, VTL, or Unison Research preamp to this, it should give me a good idea of what the preamp is like?

- - - Updated - - -

My Krell integrated has only pre-outs, so they can function only as preamps themselves, not as power amps. Does anyone know if I connect a pre-amp to where I normally connect the CD (and the CD to the preamp) will that work?

RobHolt

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2006
East London
AKA
Rob
Thanks. So if I connect an Audio Research Ref 3, VTL, or Unison Research preamp to this, it should give me a good idea of what the preamp is like?- - - Updated - - -

My Krell integrated has only pre-outs, so they can function only as preamps themselves, not as power amps. Does anyone know if I connect a pre-amp to where I normally connect the CD (and the CD to the preamp) will that work?
Yes that will work.

Usually you'd set the volume on the integrated amp to max. If it contains a passive pre this simply couples your chosen pre amp to the power amp. If the pre inside the integrated is active, you'll hear whatever that is doing in tandem with any pre you connect.

IME you cannot improve on the performance of the Krell pre if you want a truthful result, because it does absolutely nothing wrong.

If you want genuine differences, experiment with more unusual pre amps - usually valve and/or with some means of shaping the response.

terrycym

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 6, 2011
North Hampshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The key thing about choosing an amp for MLs is it's ability to drive very low impedance loads which is what you get with MLs at certain frequencies - read the specs for your speaker

surayne

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 9, 2010
Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Summits, like most Martin Logans, are actually quite sensitive so they don't need many watts. As others have pointed out they do have an awful impedance curve so any amp not capable of driving a 1-ohm load will roll off the highs. I drive my Vantages with a Meridian 559, a 557 or G57 would probably work well and you could sell it on for not a lot of loss once you've finished experimenting with preamps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DorothPike