Power amp with power

gasolin

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Denmark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a danish power amp (im pretty shure it's a generic china amp) on the box rated at 2x170 watt in 8 ohm and 2x 300 watt in 4 ohm, on there webside 2x100 and 2x150 watt.

The other day listening to 60's music, mainly soundtrack, i notice that it was stereo but often the singer would be in the right speaker, making it sound a little strange since it's not always in the middle.

I tried adjusting the volume in the front of tha "pa" amp and again noticed the weak hum the amp has,not loud but i noticed it, played some more modern music it sounds fine, what i also tried was playing loud in both channels and in one channel, to my surprise i managed to get the red clip led to lit up, i didn't noticed any sound distorting so i thought it was the signal not the speaker that where clipping, i didn't found it super loud with my 4 ohm speakers and 86db sensitive (for me that is normal sensistivity for some it's low).

So im considering returning the amp (60 days return periode, not considering returning it relative to the sound quality).

Beacuse theres a little hum and it's rated above my speakers rated power (80 watt) but surprised me that i could get it to indicate clipping without noticing any distortion, for 100% clean music it should be the speakers that give up before the amp

So what i would like is and amp with no hum and with power, power not to play super loud but power so the amp never has to clip (regardless if it's noticeable or not) when playing loud, i prefer class a/b which im 99.99% shure  my current power amp is.

I think i need real 2x100 watt in 8 ohm, not fake watt, 2x150 watt in 8ohm would be great, i would like a pa amp since im going balanced from my pc to my amp (trs,jack) 

Under 300 euros, if the amp has a noisy fan i will just disconnect it

JF0ccnL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bodgit

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 27, 2019
Woking
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Real power doesn't come cheap in my view, may be a second hand MOSFET amp of some sort would do the trick.

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
Chichester, W Sussex
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In your neck of the wood XTZ do some cracking powerful amps for sensible money. Yes they're class D, but they're very good Class D amps which sound very good and way better than their price suggests.

gasolin

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Denmark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't want to go for something old, since i have has my share of old amps and despite som sounding better than a new amp it might not sound as good as it can do to being 25-45 years old, something that is no more than 15-20 years old 

Im thinking of somthing like a behringer a500 or a800 just without the distorting potmeter (gain,volume on the front) and no pop noise when turning it on (i have heard the A800 does that)

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
presumably there is a risk of overheating if one disconnects the fan 

whats the s/h market like in denmark ? can you get a a500 for that ?

gasolin

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Denmark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
presumably there is a risk of overheating if one disconnects the fan 

whats the s/h market like in denmark ? can you get a a500 for that ?
Not at all, it never get's hot, all it does is make alot of noise for me 

It has a big heat sink, never gets warm,hot as some 90's power amp, most hifi amps don't have a fan, all it does in my pa amp is for when you play loud for hours in the summer or in a hot room, to make shure it will continue doing that all day and night.

if it would overheat all hifi power amps (class a/b) would overheat

The A500 has problems with distortion from the volume knobs, i don't see it that often for sale

The A800 is for sale new for about 250 euros but not stock at gear4music and thomann.de  at thomann it's cheaper, something like 210 euros

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't want to go for something old, since i have has my share of old amps and despite som sounding better than a new amp it might not sound as good as it can do to being 25-45 years old, something that is no more than 15-20 years old 

Im thinking of somthing like a behringer a500 or a800 just without the distorting potmeter (gain,volume on the front) and no pop noise when turning it on (i have heard the A800 does that)
Class D won't be very old.

What's a small pop noise matter when switching on/off?

Behringer are powerful and you can pick them up cheap, but maybe not the most refined amp. with your sensitivities I would tread carefully.

What speakers do you have now?

gasolin

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Denmark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have some cheap argon alto 5 MKII (my signature is up to date), not the biggest nor the most expensive spesker but it did something to my system with my current power amp than using the small to ok powered class d amps i have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GilberRamer